Monday, October 17, 2011

design wall o' felt . . .

My design wall is looking decidedly felt today. And it's also very confused about the season because it's a mix of flowers and snowmen. Hmmph. Good thing we're getting back to pumpkins on Tuesday!

First up are the felt flowers for my Jocey. I've got a good garden going here. I'll probably do another half dozen or so, add stems (hot glue and floral wire) and call it done!

I had a lot of fun with this batch. I love using the buttons as centers, too - so pretty! I wonder what she's going to use them for?!?

I also finally decided which of my wool felt kits I'd play with next. I skipped over a couple of easier ones and pulled out this cutey . . .

Snow Buddies! Definitely the project I needed to work on my blanket stitch skills, because there's sure plenty of edges that needs blanket stitching!!

I might have had second thoughts after taking a look at the instruction sheet . . .

I know at some point I'll be really happy to have this sheet, in addition to the picture that came with the kit, but when I first glanced at it, my eyes sort of glazed over. I know they did. Good gravy! Do you see how small that print is?!? Way smaller than some of these pieces . . .

Lots and lots of (little) fun pieces all ready for me to unjumble and put together and stitch and stitch and stitch!

Several of these little pieces are supposed to be filled with poly-fill or fiberfill or something along those lines. I could have sworn I had a bag of that stuff from a prior project, but it was nowhere to be found. Ugh. My darling husband came to my rescue. He's such a gallant man! Mind you, we don't live anywhere near a store that would sell this stuff, so there was no running out to get some (at 8 p.m. in the evening). Instead, he brought me down one of his old, lumpy pillows and told me to dissect it and use it guts, instead of fretting about not having any! LOL!

So far I've got a pretty good start. Let's see, give it a week, you think? Maybe I can post a finish by next Monday. Maybe.

So then, now that you've seen what I've got going on for my so called design wall, head on over to Judy Green's Laquidara's Patchwork Times and see what else is going up on design walls all around the blogiverse! (Ask Judy about a cow's tail, while your there -- you won't be sorry.)

Happy MONDAY!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Judy D in WA said...

Love your flower garden. OH MY I hope you have a "spy glass" to read your instructions. LOL That is going to be adorable when you are finished!
Smart and generous hubby. Hope he won't want to sleep on your snowmen! ;o)

QuiltSwissy said...

Two fun pieces. I love the flowers AND the snowmen!

glen

Melissa said...

Cute snowmen! Thanks for stopping by. I saw some of that mouse tale on a show once. I thought it was brilliant.

Kathie said...

Flowers are so cute. Didn't you just love the Judy "Green" story.

Bonnie said...

How clever you are! The flowers are darling. I originally was looking for snowmen in the flower picture until I scrolled down a bit farther. I bought some wonderful wool felt a year and a half ago but I have yet to do anything with it. And, I just started doing some little cross stitch pieces. No wool until those are done. thanks for sharing...

Mary said...

How hilarious. And, yes, it looks like you will get plenty of blanket stitch practice on this project, but it will be so cute when finished.

Mary said...

get out the bifocals for those instructions. I think you can figure it out with the picture. Give the DH props for offering the pillow's innards. I laughed at the "Mr & Mrs Green" story too.

Chris said...

What a sweet flower garden. Nice work.

Sarah said...

Yikes - those directions would lead me to design something new with the given pieces. Good luck and I just know that your blanket stitch will be perfect when it's complete!

Michelle said...

Good luck with those instructions! If the print is too small, you might try enlarging it on a copy machine. Looks like a LOT to wade through!

I'm a huge fan of diagrams and brief instructions. :-)

Editfolt said...

Very sweet snowmen! And also I like the flowers.

Penny said...

What wonderful colors you seem to play with. Whenever I check into your blog I always smile because you are such a busy woman surrounding yourself with color and family. Love it!

Vivian said...

Quite an innovative husband you have.

Brita said...

The Snow Buddies are so cute!! I've found most times that patterns are to fall back on when I get stuck, not to follow from step one :-) Enjoy.

Paula said...

I love the snow buddies. So darling.
Your flowers are adorable also. I do wonder what she is going to do with them!~
Hugs