Monday, October 31, 2011

swap on the design wall . . .

I've got a genuine, full-blown design wall up in my sewing room! It's pretty amazing. Saturday I headed out to my Stitcher's Group with my 40 blocks in tow. I got there and found I was the second second-to-last person to show up!

All the blocks were already distributed and labeled.

Four people had already grabbed their stack of blocks and I had to pass mine out as they headed out the door! Whew!

Once I got my blocks distributed, I had a chance to visit and oooh and aaaah over various projects that were being worked on.

I didn't both bringing my machine -- it's just too much to fool with, considering the walker and everything. Plus, since I'm dependent on my darling hubby for a ride, I didn't want to keep him for too long. I *did* turn in my deposit for our Stitcher's Retreat in February!! YAY!!! :)

This is Kari, our fearless and marvelous leader! She works so hard to plan things out for us!

And she's a *marvelous* quilter, too. I shared a couple of her quilts when I shared ribbon-winners from our guild's quilt show!

I came home so excited -- everyone had such lovely fabrics and stitched up such great blocks! I pulled out and hung my flannel "board" and just randomly put them up. I'm in love all over again with Civil War fabrics. I'm amazed by the diversity in the fabricss.

Look how great this looks!!! There were only three sets of blocks where the primary fabric were the same. I took two of the sets and put them in the center. Other than that, though, I didn't "place" blocks in any specific order. I'll have to go back and decide what goes where. I'll also have to make eight more blocks (I've got some fabric stasheded for this).

Oh I love this quilt!! I'm so excited by it. I've got two blocks that were trimmed to the finished size (8"), instead of the 8.5", so I'll have to figure out something to make them work. Any ideas? I hate to leave them out, they're beautiful fabrics!

Speaking of beautiful fabrics, head on over to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times for her Design Wall Monday link up. Loads of fun projects going up over there!

Today -- this morning -- I'm headed in to have my foot checked! I imagine he'll take off the cast and probably remove my staples and stitches. Eeek. And he said something about simulated weight-bearing x-rays last time. I'm not sure how they'll do that. I think I'll probably take some pain pills before I go. Seriously.

Annnnnnnnnd . . . lest you think I've forgotten the day, here's my tribute to All Hallows' Eve and PUMPKINS!

Happy Halloween!!!

:)

11 left a comment . . .:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love the quilts...always an inspiration for me since I want to learn one day! Have a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Jean said...

That's going to be a fun quilt!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow your quilt is going to be beautiful! What a fun block.

Bonnie said...

Lovely blocks.... You could use the wrong size on the back of your quilt and make extras to replace them on the front. It would be a start to a backing.

Love Bears All Things said...

That is so pretty with all the blocks lined up...I don't know how to fix the smaller ones. Usually, I just add to the block but that won't work with this quilt because of the design...
I hope you have a good Dr visit...
Mama Bear

Paula said...

The quilt is going to be wonderful. I love the blocks.
Good luck at the doctor. I will be thinking of you.
Hugs

Mary said...

Good luck at the Dr. I missed the part about the too small Blocks. Bummer! Maybe they wouls work on the corners, with a bit sewn on??

Cathy said...

Oh Denise, they are wonderful!!!! It is going to be a fabulous quilt. Could you make the too small blocks into a couple of pillows to go with the quilt and make a couple of extra to replace them in the top?

Sarah said...

All of your hard work paid off!It's too bad they swapped before everyone was there - it would have been great to see all the faces of excitement. I like the idea of the smaller blocks on the back.

Rachel's Quilts said...

Great blocks. The quilt is going to look really nice.

Ellen said...

I love your blocks too - they look fantastic!