Tuesday, November 15, 2011

turkey head . . .

I teased a little bit yesterday about a turkey head. You may remember THIS post, where I shared the fun care package my mom had sent me. One of the things in that package was the pattern and materials for a turkey head. Well, for a turkey centerpiece ... the head gets wired into a the base of a pineapple, and the leafy top acts as the turkey's fine feathery plumage! There's one similar HERE on pinterest (I don't have my pineapple yet, so you can see how it'll look attached).

So here's the pattern my mom sent me . . .

And here's what I came up with . . .

I'm really pleased with how he turned out -- but it's hard to visualize how great he'll be without a body.

Hmmmm ... Mr. Cardinal, may I borrow your body for just a bit?

I'm pretty sure he said yes. Great, thanks!!

Still missing something ... let's see what I can find to give your back end a little extra fluff.

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm. What's that you say, Mr. Cardinal? I can't hear you!

I know! Joc's flowers will fit the bill . . . or rather, the back . . . quite nicely!

Oh yeah, now he's looking like Tom Turkey!! Isn't that fun? He was very easy to put together, too. I used the blanket stitch to outline the head shape, except where the bill and the waddle were tucked into the head, where I did a tiny running stitch (which you don't really see because the waddle hangs over them). I stuffed him with my infamous pillow stuffing. I hot glued the waddle to the head in three places, leaving little gaps to give it dimension and the eyes are small white buttons, with black sequin centers. And there's floral wire running up the back of the neck, and the wire will be how I secure him into the pineapple!

Okay, okay Mr. Cardinal, let me free you up . . . but where to put Mr. Tom for now?

Ha! Well, that will do in a pinch.

Jocey finally taking her flowers home! But it's a good thing I had them today.

This picture so reminds me of a picture of my youngest sister. My Pop wrote a book (well several, actually) on tin can crafting. And in the book, there's a picture of her bending over sniffing the tin can flowers. Too cute!!

And to top it all off?? Look what fun things came in the mail today!!! My mommy sent me a little happy!

It's Eleanor Burns's Autumn Leaves pattern! Thanks, Mom!!

And it's hard to see, but the topper on the right is actually a turkey! It's TOO cute! And it came with it's OWN ruler! A 4.5" On Point ruler! I needed one of those! (Don't say anything Sarah!) Hmmmm. It *is* a quilt in a day pattern . . . think I can have one done before Thanksgiving?!?

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Jean said...

LOL at floralturkeycardinal...

Editfolt said...

I like this turkey. This leaf pattern is also very good. The picture in the background there are rulers?

Asiyah said...

That turkey head definitely gave me a chuckle. It just kind of moved around until finding the right place to rest.

Kind of reminds me of the time when Josh and I were looking to buy our first house together. The seller had this really creepy looking doll in the living room. So we took pictures of the house but when we got back home, it seemed like the doll was in every picture. We didn't buy the house. LOL!

Keep on crafting, my friend.

Momof3girls said...

Cute turkey/cardinal! I so enjoy reading your posts. Have a blessed day!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a clever gal - love the 'partial' turkey and his stunt double.

Paula said...

WOW! I love your turkey, Miss Denise!

Cathy said...

Oh my, this is soooooo cute. It gave me quite a good chuckle. And of course you can have the Quilt in a Day done by Thanksgiving, because, you're right, it is a Quilt in a ....Day.... pattern.

Lee said...

I think there should be a "like" button on here somewhere, lol (sometimes I don't want to make a comment but just want to "like" it all....hmmm, too much time on a social network, hehe.). "like" the turkey head, "like" Mr. Cardinal idea, "like" Joc's flowers... "like" that you got sweet things from your mom.

Sarah said...

How fun to see my name in someone else's post. And you will get a laugh out of this but I was "this close" to buying that ruler at Houston with my 25% off coupon and I passed... oh well. Wait until you see one of the photos I plan to post tomorrow!

Quilt Hollow said...

ROFLOL here in my hollow!!! You are such a crack up!!

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

How on earth did you do that? That turkey is great!!

Lisa Leggett said...

OMGosh! This was a cute & funny post, Denise! There's nothing like a cardinal with a turkey head & neck, so cute! Joc's flowers are darling! Did you make those? I have to go backwards through your posts until I find out!
Have a great evening!
Lisa

Diane said...

that turkey head on a pinapple is a neat idea!
I made the Autumn leaves Turkey runner a couple years ago. I love that pattern-you absolutely can get that done before next Thursday!!!

Angie @ Summerfield Quilts said...

You are so funny. I love the turkey head on the cardinal body. lol