Tuesday, February 07, 2012

lots of happies . . .

With the annual board meeting for our ministry on Friday and a workday up at the camp on Saturday, my days for the rest of the week are going to be pretty busy getting things ready.  Yesterday was my free day -- though not a lot of quilting got done.  But who cares?  Look who I got to hang out with!!
She's getting so BIG!  She's able to fill some of her cutie-pie clothes now.  Her tummy is rounder, she's longer, and her cheeks are filling out, too.  And Jason says her second chin is growing, as well!  LOL!

I pulled up this shot from my camera and immediately tears welled up in my eyes.  People are always saying how much Joc and I look alike, but I think my girl is far more beautiful than I.  But in this picture ... I saw a young me, holding my Jocelyn. 
 
So precious!  Look at that squinchy brow ... she's got such a serious and intent gaze!

Joc was sweet enough to snap one of me holding the darling girl ...
Look how happy she is to be in the arms of her Neesey (Or gosh -- it just occurred to me that it could be the change of scenery from one photo to the next -- in the one above, she's gazing at mommy; in the one before, she's seeing me -- LOL!)

Know what else was a happy yesterday?!?  Getting this parcel in the mail -- from HUNGARY!!
I won Edit's anniversary giveaway, and she'd offered a choice from several lovely things she'd created; I had chosen the fabric tulips.  They are even prettier in person than pictured.  I'm so tickled!
I've got a vase that's perfect -- I just have to figure out where I tucked it away.  You wouldn't think it would be hard to find things in an RV, but you'd be *very* surprised at the nooks, crannies, and hiding spots there are!

Ah, but the fun didn't stop there.  Edit, who's really darling and quite fun to chat with, didn't stop with the tulips.  She wanted to share with me some things from her county and culture, so--after finding out that we shared a love of cooking, as well as quilting--she also included this lovely Hungarian cookbook!!
And look at this sweet inscription!

 
And she also included this bag of Hungarian paprika!!  I *love* paprika and use it in a lot of my cooking, so this is a real treat!  Unfortunately, the bag got a little tear in it in the shipping process and paprika spilled out into the box.  Ooops!  Luckily, paprika dusts off very easily and it wasn't a whole lot that spilled.  Whew!
I loved her little notes, to help me understand how to use everything!
She also included these three tubes of spices -- the bottom one is a garlic cream, the middle one is a red pepper cream, and then the top is is evidently very spicy.  I *loved* the note on this one: 
 
"Sting!  Hard!  A tiny 'gulyas'"  Ummm, I think this one might have a little bite to it!

Such a darling package and such fun going through.  I made vegetable beef stew yesterday and used my new Hungarian paprika in it -- it was delicious, too!!  If you have a moment, you should really stop by her blog.  She's a very talented seamstress and quilter and I enjoy her blog.  And though google translate doesn't always do it justice, some things, like sweet friendship, overcome language barriers easily!

Szép napot!!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Connie said...

What sweet photos of Ellie! You look like such a proud grandma! Those tulips are beautiful, wonderful gifts and I have never seen spices in tubes! Thanks for linking to my party Denise!
Quilting by the River

Editfolt said...

I am very glad that you got the package. I hope you like the taste of the many Hungarian spices. In the book, you find lots of delicious Hungarian recipes. We Hungarians are very like to eat and we love the spices. You will write me, what is your favorite Hungarian food with!

Janet O. said...

Ellie is adorable, as always!
What a lovely gift package. So thoughtful and fun! Lucky you!!

Paula said...

I just love how happy you proud you look in pictures with your grandchildren.
Ellie sure is growing fast!She changes everytime you post a picture.
Congrats on your win. WOW! Those tulips are amazing. Can't wait to hear what recipes you make and how you use the spices. I love garlic in the tube and use it a lot. I have never seen other spices in the tube though.
Hugs

Barbara F. said...

First, Denise, I love the photos, that baby is such a precious thing, so beautiful. Yes, I always thought Joc looks like you a lot! And I think the gifts from Edit are wonderful. The tulips look so real. Hungarian paprika is all I buy, I got spoiled with that a long time ago. Congratulations! ((hugs)) xo

Jean said...

Sweet Ellie...

OOH, you've got some goulash in your future and some paprikash. Yum!

Barbara said...

Greetings! I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. It adds considerably to my reading enjoyment. I'm honoring you with the Versatile Blogger award.

http://catpatches.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger.html

Mary said...

I thought the Tulips looked real at first too. So nice you live close enough to go visit Ellie, Sawyer and Joc often. Those babies grow up way too fast. Congrats on winning the Versatile Blogger award! More 'happies' for you!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful gift from Edit! Can't wait to hear more about your cooking escapades.

Ellie is just realy happy that her Neesey is holding her and showing her off to the world. You know - that or gas. LOL.

Kirsten- The Foreign Domestic said...

Denise, your posts just make me smile. Your new grand baby is so adorable and you can see the love in your eyes while you're holding her. That package look amazing!!

Rosa said...

Beautiful photos with your adorable grand baby.

Congrats on your winning!

c. Joy said...

You made me laugh out loud when you 'explained' Ellie's expressions. Her smile is wonderful. Great package. I love how blogging opens up the world to us. I'm off to check out a new blog. ;)

pastimesquiltdesign said...

What a beautiful grandbaby she is.
Hanging out with the grandkids is one of my favorite pastimes along with quilting and cooking. Congratulations on the beautiful tulips you won along with all the other goodies Edit sent you.
I am happy to join your blog.

Lee said...

How can you not just eat up every moment with that little cutie? Sweet pic of the two of you - great smiles!

Congrats on winning the other little treasures...spices in a tube, hmmm, interesting concept.

Pat said...

OOOO...beautiful baby...beautiful tulips..happy grandmother.....what a great post! I love how little Ellie's feet are in that first photo......SO cute!

Pearl said...

Oh, what fun!

I rather enjoying food that stings. Hard. :-)

The baby is adorable. It's not until you're around them that you truly realize how precious they are. Oh, to smell that darling little head...

:-) Greetings from Minneapolis!

Pearl

Barb said...

What a cutie....