Monday, August 27, 2012

de-sign fence-line . . .

Got some productive sewing done this weekend ... yay!  I finished piecing the mini-rail fence I started Thursday night (hence my clever post title and rhyme).
I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  At first I was afraid that solid brown border was too much, but I had some binding inspiration and I think the brown was just what this piece needed to make the binding really pop!
The binding is SO fun and *totally* an accident.  Because trust me, that is NOT something I'd just decide to do.  No way!  Instead, it is a case of making lemonade, when life hands you lemons (or, more specifically, when you rotary cut a lemon).  I'll probably quilt it this week.

I also have all the blocks stitched up and trimmed to size for the two little leftover wedding quilt toppers I was doing . . .

I may or may not put those together this week.

I also wanted to share this little FQ beauty.  Because it *is* beautiful.  A batik with hints of purple, glitteries and snowflakes . . .

Can it get any better I ask you?!?  I bought two FQs of this at the shop in Annapolis.  I'd have gotten a whole yard (or two, or three) of this it had been on the bolt.  Alas, it wasn't.  And alas again, none of the FQs they had of it had the selvage!  Boo!

I've seen a lot of Carpenter Star blocks lately ... enough to know that I'd like to do one (or two) as toppers or doll quilts.  And I'd also *really* like to try my hand at the whole "coloring cloth with crayons" technique, too.  That fascinates me ... like the colorque did/does!  Only with the crayon method you don't have to go the textile medium route.  You just color and iron.  Hmmmmm.  We'll see what I manage to get into as the week goes by!

Linking up today with Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times.  Go check it out!  I *urge* you!


Oh ... and Happy Monday! 


:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Susan said...

The binding does make a big difference. Lovely little quilt.

* said...

I've done scrappy pieced bindings before and I really like them: uses up some smaller scraps and looks good. And, I also want to try the crayon thing. But first I have to learn to draw. :-(

Judy D in WA said...

Love your mini! Love the binding!!

I have a great link for coloring technique if want it. It looks pretty fun.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I love the colors in your mini-fence rail and the border DOES set off that scrappy binding beautifully. Don't you love happy accidents? I'm eager to see the new projects you have up your sleeve! I've too been eyeing the Carpenter Stars I've seen popping up. My MIL made some tea towels using that crayon method, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bonnie said...

Your "lemonade" binding is fabulous. Really finishes off that cute rail fence beautifully. Lots of possible projects to work on at your house. Enjoy your week.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Now that is my king of binding! It really does make the final statement. Very pretty Batik!

Cathy said...

You're right.. the brown border is perfect with the pieced binding. It really shows it off, as well as the rest of the quilt. You did a great job. What are you going to use it for? And that snowflake/pine branch fabric is GORGEOUS! Almost a shame to cut it up. But if you don't cut it up, then it is really hard to use it in something.

Barbara B said...

Rotary cut a lemon--HA! What a great line--I'll need to remember that. And the brown is the perfect way to showcase the lemonade binding!

Dar said...

You really were productive this week. Good for you. As usual, your little rail fence is a cutie. I know what you mean about making do or making lemonade out of lemons. I've been there a lot lately.!! Keep up the good work.

Sarah said...

At first I thought you had literally framed the rail fence quilt in a wood frame. The brown really sets off the binding which was probably a pain to make but oh so stunning. Your sparkly FQ is stunning - I didn't find any sparklies in the mts. sorry.

Teresa in Music City said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! Love the binding - accident or not :*) That batik needs to come live at my house!!!! It's absolutely GORGEOUS!

Janet O. said...

Oh, I thought the same thing as Sarah. How clever of you to put your quilt in a wood frame. Then I read on and realized it was fabric. That scrappy binding does pull the whole thing together beautifully!
What a batik find! Yum!

Beth Probasco said...

Your mini is adorable. Being a Minnesota gal, I love winter and your batik FQ is right up my alley. I love the glittery winter theme.

Kris said...

Love your new little quilt and the brown is perfect because wood is brown and fences are made from wood - well most of the time!!! And that batik is gorgeous!!! Coloring cloth with crayons - sounds fun!!!

Mary said...

Great Finish for you! 'D-fence' is what the Cheerleaders yell at the Football and Basketball games. I haven't been to any of those in a while.

Kate said...

Love your rail fence mini. The brown is just right to go with that binding. Beautiful project.