Wednesday, December 05, 2012

shake, rattle and roll . . .

Do you ever just feel like if it isn't one thing, it's a dozen?  I know my poor, sweet husband does!

Our washer/dryer machine has been giving us fits over the past week.  Under normal circumstances (i.e., in a sticks and bricks house), that wouldn't be *such* a big deal.  
But in an RV things are just a bit different.  First of all, our machine is in our master bedroom closet.  In the corner.  Gals, I don't know about you, but I hang a LOT of my clothes.  And the hanging space in our [only] closet is less than 4' long -- and Todd and I *share* it. 

It's packed.  And not just on the rod ... but on the precious premium floor space (read, storage space), too!

And in order to get to the washer/dryer, *everything* has to be removed from the closet.  And put someplace else.  In our RV.  And we still have to be able to function.  LOL!  Life has been interesting, to say the least!

So Todd pulled everything out of the closet and pulled the machine out where he could look at it/work on it.  He couldn't find anything so a repairman was called in.  The repairman got delayed, but finally got to the RV ... at 8 p.m.!  He couldn't find anything right off ... so he had to come back the next day.  Finally they figured out that there was a loose wire somewhere and got it hooked back up.

Todd, being the smart man that he is, decided we should run some laundry through it, to make sure it was really fixed, before putting it back into the corner nook of the closet it occupies, and putting everything back into the closet.  So over the weekend, we ran four or five loads . . . everything worked perfectly and we felt confident that it was truly fixed and proceeded to put things back into order.  You have to understand ... in the living space of an RV, it's critical (at least to me) that things stay organized and de-cluttered.  So having a whole closet's worth of clothes and shoes and "stowed things" spread throughout the rest of the RV's space is a little ... style-cramping!  No, not style-cramping ... it's LIFE-cramping!  Hahaha!

From the outside, you can see where the washer/dryer sits (on the left of the picture) and how much room that leaves for clothes.  Harrumph.  You can also see that it's not a deep closet, by any means!

Anyway, things were put back into order, we took a deep breath, and proceeded to go about daily business.  Another couple of loads of laundry included.  Tossed a load in, along with the soap and fabric softener, twisted the dial, and . . .

Nothing.  *sigh*

So, everything AGAIN got pulled from the closet and the machine was pulled out and examined.  The wire that was loose before wasn't loose this time ... it was the timer.  The earliest we could get a new timer shipped to us was today.  Todd ordered the timer and made an appointment for the repairman to come out Thursday to install it.  And as he was putting the cover back on the machine, he heard a steady stream of water ... even though the machine was off.  Aye yi yi!! A leaky gasket? A blown hose?  This may have been the proverbial straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.  You see, this is not the first run-in we've had with our machine ... it's actually the third or fourth we've had in less than three years (we didn't have it installed right away when we went full time).  I've blogged about this before.

He called me on the phone (yes, I had escaped).  Did we really want to keep sinking money into fixing a machine that insisted on breaking down on a regular basis?  He'd done some Internet research and found what he believed to be the best RV/Marine combo machine out there.  A Splendide 2100XC vented washer/dryer:
The Splendide® 2100 saves space, goes from wash to dry automatically, and has an oversized drum that accepts the bigger laundry loads.
It's been shipped.

I've been reading the user's manual and the quick start guide.  I'm really excited! It looks so pretty and fancy . . . 
. . . and it holds up to FIFTEEN pounds of laundry - that's pretty major for a combo machine!  I've also been reading reviews by fulltime RVers.  I think we're getting a premium machine.  Look out dirty clothes!  Plus, this machine is supposed to have a much quieter/smoother spin cycle.  They boast you can even have it run while you're asleep.  WOW!  That's really big.  Our current machine shakes the entire RV like an earthquake when it runs the spin cycle.  Though I have to admit, I might miss my traveling wise men (see point four)! 

Maybe life will get back to normal again someday soon.  In the meantime, I think today may be another 'escape' day.  Right?!

And I've been pondering . . . do I really need all the clothes that are were in my closet???

Tomorrow I get to co-host Favorite Things Thursday!  I *so* hope you'll come back!

:)

20 left a comment . . .:

Needled Mom said...

Oh dear...there are challenges in life, aren't there? So glad that you got the new machine and can now relax a bit.

Michelle said...

{{hugs}} Washing machines are such a pain, aren't they? But you've made me seriously glad mine isn't in the bedroom closet!

Melissa Bishop said...

Oh, I hate when stuff like that happens. We had to buy a new washing machine when our old one leaked all over the laundry room! Now our dishwasher is making horrid noises & needs to be replaced. That's the matter with matter! lol I'm glad though that you have a new washer that will not let you down!

Ronda Walker said...

We have a vacation RV so I can totally sympathize with you. One thing out of place can make a big difference. Hope your home gets back to normal soon. Enjoy your new wonder machine.

Teresa in Music City said...

Ooooooo nice!!! I'm so happy for you! It's always so much fun to get a new "toy" even it if is a "household" one! LOL!!! The lack of noise/shaking would be a biggie for me. Your hubby is obviously a very smart man :*D

Barbara F. said...

Never a dull moment, Denise. Three years is a short life span for an appliance, but this new one sounds wonderful. xo

Gmama Jane said...

Trouble comes in THREES or so they say...looks like your's comes in multiples. Plumbing is our nemesis around the Hillis Farm. It can never be a simple fix. I feel your pain!!
Blessings
Gmama Jane

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise did you see my post on clothes hangers? It sounds like those skinny hangers might be helpful to you! check these out: http://stitchinbythelake.blogspot.com/2012/12/i-switched.html. blessings, marlene

Kim said...

Oh my goodness! I hope it all gets working again, thank goodness your husband came up with a great fix!

Happy Sewing, your Nov. doll quilt swap partner :0), Kim

Lee said...

Haha, your very first sentence sounds like my mom's verbal paragraphs these days! Washing machines can be so frustrating, so happy for you to now be getting a NEW one - I didn't know they made combo washer/driers at all, so I learned something new today. Have a great day.

Doniene said...

WOW!!!! I spent some time looking at ALL your blog - tabs, a few older posts, etc, etc. Let me tell you - I am humbled!! What a testimony of our God your lives have been!! Bless you!! So glad the washer/dryer issue is on the way up! Of all my conveniences - I do not take my washer/dryer for granted!!

Blessings in Him!

Jean(ie) said...

I wish our RV had a laundry machine. I so feel your pain. Space is such a premium in RV living. If we ever had to do it again, it would be yet another adjustment. We could do it, but it would be rough "getting there."

Escaping for some grandbaby time?

Barbara said...

I found myself chuckling as I read your post. We have a similar set up in our RV. I can't say we've had trouble with the washer, except in the beginning. There was some problem I don't remember what it was. It's fixed and we've had no more trouble with the machine. We have the Splendide brand, but I think it's a different model.

Madame Samm said...

I have to say ...I could do better without a sewing machine than a washing machine..this is a very handsome model....yes this is good news Denise...not to the wallet but to clean clothes...

Sarah said...

I wish I could have one of these spiffy combo units for my house. My stacked unit is on the downhill slide and I have already been given used sidebyside units that don't fit in the same space.

Karin said...

Oh my! Although I will admit your story prodded a few chuckles from me. It will remind me not to fuss about wishing we had more space.
I didn't even know those washer/dryer combinations existed - what a marvelous invention. Here's hoping that laundry day will now be smooth sailing and you can save the shake, rattle, and roll for the dance floor.

Janet O. said...

We had a washer/dryer combo while I was growing up. This brings back memories. But it wasn't in the back of a closet, so we didn't have that added trial. My goodness you have literally "been through the wringer" with your machine (pun intended).
Hope your new machine will free you up to devote your energy to more important things.

Paula said...

I so feel your pain. Our Splendid went on the fritz a few years ago. Like you say, the need to maintain a living space while pulling that machine and fixing it is like trying to do a magic act! I envy you with the new model. Can't wait to read how it all works out.
Hugs

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've had washers leak, and do other not nice things. Such a pain. Hubby's uncle lives in an RV now. I wonder what they use for laundry. He's told about everything else, but, not laundry. I guess I'll ask.

Gone Country said...

Hello! I was directed to your blog by Ronda, one of your readers. I am currently in the process of downsizing from a house to a 5th wheel and she said that you have done the same thing. What a challenge!

We have that washer/dryer in our 5th wheel and it's really nice. You're gonna love it! A tip that I usually do is manually setting the clothes to dry, shaking the clothes out before drying and using the Low Heat setting rather than the automatic setting. The reason being, the clothes are much less wrinkled.

I can't wait to hear your reviews of your new machine!