Friday, March 01, 2013

hither, yon, and dale . . .

Because I'm all *over* the place in this post!!

My goodness . . . how did March arrive so quickly?!  True to form, it's 'marched' in like a lion -- we have *cold* temps and snow in our immediate forecast!  Which is quite funny when you consider my next few photos . . .

Todd and I took a golf cart ride earlier in the week and noticed a bit of Spring making a showing . . .
Those sweet little flowers sure weren't counting on snow falling on them. We spotted them as we traveled down to Hidden Creek -- I hadn't been down there in ages!  
When we got down there, I noticed that someone (probably Sam, one of the Camp's top committee members) had cleared a huge swath of land from the very invasive bamboo that grows down there.  
If you look at the above pic, you'll see a little jut of land sticking out in the center of the creek.
I've always wanted to walk up there -- and now I could!  It's such a sweet little spot, too.  And Todd and I noted that though the bank is a little steep, there are natural steps cut into the side here.  Add a rope and I imagine Sawyer and I will add this to our favorite "spots", come summer.  Especially since in the summer months, the creek is a little calmer and there's hardly any water flow on the bank side of the spot.  But not today -- listen to the creek roll here!
Gosh I do love that sound!!  From the big creek, we headed across the camp to the little creek -- Crawdad Creek.  As we headed out, I noticed how much water has overflowed out of the creek, into what's typically dry paths . . .
Usually that's all dry ground.  We've had a LOT of rain in the last two months, that's for sure.  By summer, it will be all gone.  Crawdad Creek, though small, never stops flowing . . . 
We figure that, like the ponds, it's spring-fed.  I wish there was a way to eliminate mosquitoes down there -- I'd spend a LOT more time there, if there was!

And I had to share this funny picture . . .
What makes it funny is that this is a picture of a purple finch surrounded by goldfinches.  Only the purple finch is decidedly red while the goldfinches are decidedly olive.  They make me laugh!

At Joc's on Wednesday, I decided to throw down a challenge to see if Leia would make a good quilter's cat.
It appears that she would, indeed, make a good quilter's cat.  I figured that was the case, but just wanted to make sure.  Leia's sitting on one of my NewFOs for February, by the way.  That was my February doll quilt swap piece.  I also had a cute little NewFO/finish in the mug rug I made for my pastor's wife:
And I consider my CQ block a NewFO, too!
I got my spider web on it and that ended Lesson 5.  Lesson 6 starts us on beading.  The first thing we do is pull out the matching pincushion and treat the seams on it.
Next up will be the actual beading!  
I've got my beads picked -- I'll work on that today.  From there, I'll go back to my block and add the beading to it!

Ellie's little broken leg isn't keeping her down.  In fact, though she was aware of it the weekend I stayed with her, by the next weekend she was walking on it again.  Evidently Leia wishes it had slowed her down a bit more . . .
She was hiding from Ellie.  Ummm, yeah.  Gotta love cats!
Ellie was quick to help Leia out, by showing her the error of her ways.  I can just hear her, "See Leia -- it's all open.  I can see *all* of you!"

I suppose, since it *is* March, I could come up with some goals for the month. Let's see . . . number one on the list is the March doll quilt swap. Number two? FINISH my crazy quilt course! Number three. Hmmmm. I really would like to finish up some of the UFOs I've got lying around. To that end, number three will be finishing off the center of the quilt-as-you-go pineapple quilt I resurrected last year.
I need to trim the red to the black center and make sure it'll fit inside the rows of blocks!  And number four--start quilting on Joc's quilt.  Wow.  That's pretty industrious for me!  Especially when you consider that in the first half of the month we'll celebrate Joc's, Kim's and Sawyer's birthdays, Kim and James's anniversary, and my folks will come down for a visit!  In addition to the fun family stuff, Todd and I will head to Shocco Springs next weekend for a missionary training weekend and the following Saturday is National Quilting Day (March 16) and our guild has BIG plans.  Whew!!

I guess I'm out of here for the weekend.  Linking up today's post to the February NewFO linky party over at Cat Patches, the March "Get 'Er Done" post at Patchwork Times, and the Feline Friday linky party over at Sarah Did It!!!

:)

20 noted . . .:

Kris said...

Oh, my gosh!! You are one busy girl and I can hardly believe you have flowers coming out!! I just barely hear a bird chirp a couple of days ago and now he is gone again with the cold weather!! Happy March to you, dear friend!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love seeing the early spring flowers - there will be more. We have a few spring birds back - they feeders have been very busy and noisy. You have a busy time ahead of you!

Janet O. said...

Thanks for the creek, Denise. So soothing--and everything around here is still frozen!
Looks like Joc needs to be a quilter--she has the cat for it.
You have very ambitious plans for the month, girlfriend. I just plan to survive. : )

Barbara said...

Nothing like a babbling brook to soothe the soul. You have been one busy lady this month, Denise. Love all your new projects. Thanks for linking up.

Teresa in Music City said...

That IS a lot to get done with all that on your agenda girlfriend!!! But better to choose big and scale back if you need to :*) Loved those nature pics - really wishing spring would hurry up!!! And I was tickled to see Leia pick that one spot to sit - right on top of the quilt LOL!!!!

Lyndsey said...

Love all your pics of the camp and the babbling brook was great to listen to. Great projects.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Great post! Love your flowers and your babbling creek....cute picture of kitty, too! I have to make a Abbie mat--- wonder if she will help me pick out the fabric and sew toghther, LOL!!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

:) Carolyn

Sarah said...

I just love riding around the camp on the golf cart with you! I'm impressed with Leia - she let Ellie get pretty close. I'm not sure why you questioned her being a quilter's cat - I do remember her "helping" you sew some time back. LOL. Every kitty needs a good catmat tho!

Barbara F. said...

Hi Denise, I love going on a nature "ride" with you. I thought the red bird looked like a cardinal, but I am a city girl, soooo.....anyhoo, I am glad that Ellie's leg is better. That cat is too funny. Love all your projects. I need to see if I can lean some easy stitches and hand quilt something small one day. xo

Sherrill said...

OH so THAT'S how you test their quilt cat-worthiness?!! HA Love it.

Mary said...

Nice to take a ride before the weather changes again. It feels like Spring here today, but it could just be a teaser. I like your Crazy patch, makes me want to get out my Crazy Quilt stuff I swapped a few years ago.

Cathy said...

What a beautiful setting you live in. And it is SOOOOOO FABULOUS that your foot has healed up so well that you can walk down there now!! I love all the projects you are working on. It sounds like an ambitious month, with everything else you have going. But even doing a little bit on each will be progress.

Doniene said...

A regular "Treat"!! Loved the whole post!! Those little flowers always bring a smile to my lips!!!

Have fun with all your family! So thankful Ellie is scootin' round just fine!!

Blessings and safe travels for you and all your family!

Jean(ie) said...

Snow? LOL! Seriously... that's just crazy. Leia just cracks me up. She sure has a definitive personality. Yep, she's a quilt cat... and a toy cat for Ellie to play with. Bwahahaahahaah!

Melissa Bishop said...

Loved all the topics in your post. The letter S was the first letter in my maiden name. The embroidery is so pretty. I love monograms. Kitty is such a good helper! lol
Do you have verse 5?

Kate said...

Love the mug rug! Your CQ block is looking gorgeous too! Thanks for the tour of the camp. It's still really brown here, I'm so ready for warmer weather.

Scrapatches said...

Thanks for the spring pictures. We need a little spring around here. Soon!

Leia looks to be a very pretty and quilty kitty. She also appears to be a nice kitty to play with Ellie.

You have been a busy quilter. Thanks for sharing your lovely work ... :) Pat

StitchinByTheLake said...

Beautiful pics of your walk Denise! blessings, marlene

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, spring - I do love when the fruit trees begin budding out and the overwintering spinach seeds suddenly pop up and announce their presence! And what a lovely group of projects you're working on. they all look like much fun!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have quilter doggies. They follow me into my sewing room and stay with me (under foot) while I sew. Maybe it's just the movies I watch while I sew.... who knows. At least they can't jump up onto my tables.