Friday, November 22, 2013

guildy remininces . . .

Last night was guild night.  I love guild nights!  We have such an uber-talented group of women in our guild -- it's really quite remarkable!  Our speaker last night was a local talent Elaine, who blogs at Messygoat.  She does fabulous things with scraps, really fabulous.  But before I share those with you, there's a couple of fun things by others I want to share first . . . 

Check out this amazing sweater . . .
Isn't this awesome??!  You know how I love buttons!  I may definitely give this a try on my own.  By the way, this was a Cracker Barrel find.

And then there's this piece . . .
My dear friend Kathy and her husband were discussing possible themes for non-judged exhibits at our bi-annual show.  They laughingly toyed with the idea of "Quilts made by the husbands of guild members." Kathy didn't think any more about it until her husband, Norm, brought her the above as a birthday present. He made it while he was out of town!  Kathy reports he had a little help from the hotel staff.  She also said it was her favorite birthday present ever!  My favorite is the back shot . . .
I loved the knots!  Norm was pretty proud of those knots, too.  Way to go, there, Norm!!

So, now on to Elaine and her presentation.  She shared lots of darling projects that's she's made with scraps:





My favorite are the fish and the owl pincushions.  I love the owl with the "angry" eyes!!  (Movie reference, anyone?!?)  She free-handed the fish, but there's a tutorial for the owls on EfermeraInk!

She also makes BIG things . . . lovely, wild, beautiful quilts . . .
I dubbed the bottom one "backgammon quilt" right away!  I'm taking her workshop tomorrow ... Yay! We're working on a scrappy variation of Bonnie Hunter's String-X.  Can't wait!

In the meantime, I'm going to turn this:
Into a dress.  And, I'm getting closer on my cornucopia:
Whoohoo!  It might just be ready to hang before Thursday!

And, look what I received in the mail yesterday . . .
Two pounds of candied ginger straight from the Amish market!  My mom sent it to me ... so now I can get started on more gingersnaps and almond ginger biscotti! Loverly!

:)

9 left a comment . . .:

Kaisievic said...

Looks like guild night was lots of fun - great show and tell. I am going to go check out your biscotti guest post now.

Mary said...

I Love Guild Nights too! Thanks for sharing your fun. You have 6 days to finish your Cornucopia and cute Dress. My DGD #6 wore her Thanksgiving Dress last Sunday. I never thought we needed one before that. I have a Turkey Apron so I'm all set.

Melissa Labella said...

I loved Norm's quilt, that is not something I EVER expect from my DH. haha.

Janet O. said...

Love Norm's quilt!! : )
Let's see--one of the Toy Story movies--Mrs. Potatohead speaking.
Too much talent for one post. Maybe this is why I don't join a guild. Very intimidating. *LOL*

Kate said...

My Guy eyes the sewing machine sometimes, but I don't think he'd ever give it a try. I can see why your friend loved her gift.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We have a lovely guild, too - enjoy those meetings as well.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We have a lovely guild, too - enjoy those meetings as well.

Jani Cheema said...

I together with my pals were found to be looking through the best recommendations from your web site and then all of the sudden got a horrible suspicion I had not thanked the website owner for those tips. These young boys happened to be certainly happy to study all of them and have quite simply been using those things. I appreciate you for truly being considerably thoughtful and also for utilizing certain useful topics millions of individuals are really eager to learn about. My honest regret for not expressing gratitude to earlier.

Best Cccam Server

Sarah said...

I was going to try to pick just one fav scrap project and it's IMPOSSIBLE! I think a husband category would be quite fun actually. How about a mug rug catefory. Most or least pieces in a certain (small) sized quilt. I'm just going off the cuff. first time making something with a new-to-the-quilter or something chosen by the guild.