Wednesday, January 29, 2014

mid-week musings . . .

What *CRAZY* weather we've been having!!  It was six degrees here this morning.  Saturday it's supposed to hit sixty.  Who can function with swings like that?!?

We got a bit of snow here yesterday.  I had an Ellie day, and here's what we saw at that end of the county:
Really, nothing to speak of.  It was dry and powdery snow and the wind just blew it hither and yon. Todd and I live in the northern end of the county, and we got a little bit more ... enough that it's still around this morning:
And then there's Sawyer, who got to enjoy the snow day thoroughly . . .
A true snow angel!

I finished up my second crochet project just in time for the bitter cold . . .
It's a cowled scarf.  It double-wraps around my neck very nicely and I got several compliments when I wore it out and about yesterday!  It's not perfect, but I love, love the colors -- it's blue with hints of purple, turquoise and green.  My favorites!
Ellie was willing to model it for me, but she really didn't care to wear it beyond the picture. Isn't she cute? Like a little Babushka doll!
June, on the other hand, fell in love with it before it was even finished!  (If you look to the top, you'll see me, holding the ball of yarn it's still attached to!) Sweet little girl -- she thought she was the stuff and was a little put out with me when it was time to take it back!

Sawyer informed me that *he* needed a scarf made by Neesey, so I readily agreed.  I asked him what color he'd like and he said . . .
Yellow!  I'll probably have this finished just in time for our summer-like Saturday. LOL!

I also finished up my CQ Heart . . .
I'm really pleased with how this turned out!  I probably didn't do as much embroidery seam treatment as I should have, but I think with the beading and other embellishments, it's good enough.  
Since it was a standalone piece, I did include the traditional spider and web, down at the bottom, but I tried to work them so they blended and weren't "obvious".
I think my favorite addition is the sparkly cross with John 3:16 embroidered underneath it. 
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
That's the ultimate love, right there--the very best! When I'd finished I told Todd that Crazy Heart was my Valentine to him. He laughed and corrected me, "No, that's your Valentine to YOU!"  Haha!  He's right.  ;)

Today the snowflake project calls -- I need to finish piecing it so I can decide what to do with it next!!

Stay warm - stay safe - be content!

:)

24 left a comment . . .:

Jean(ie) said...

Stay warm. I'm so thankful my Alabama kids escaped the mess. Luckily Cullman didn't get slammed like B'ham did. And Son in law wasn't down in B'ham when it hit.

Missy Shay said...

Your heart is absolutely gorgeous!

barbara woods said...

love your heart. Here in n. west Georgia it's cold and we did get some snow

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Very pretty scarf/cowl and geat models, too. Love your heart-gorgeous!!

Barbara F. said...

I love that scarf and certainly need to make one! Kids are so stinkin' cute Denise! xo

Melissa Bishop said...

Great scarves and I love the heart. I don't know about the spider and web on there (as in the story behind why they are included) but I'd love to learn.

Janet O. said...

That is a pretty scarf. I love those colors, too. : )
Love your little models. : )
Great job on the heart. Wonderful little details!

mamas*little*treasures said...

I love the crazy patch heart! I made one similar to yours and turned it into a heart shaped pincushion. Crazy patch piecing is one of my favorite ways to create. Just stopping by from the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop at Katherine's Corner . . . hope to see you again next week! Stop by for a visit when you can at www.mamaslittletreasures.com Nina @ mamas*little*treasures

Angel Allen said...

This is beautiful.
Angel

Barbara said...

That is some wild weather. Love your CQ heart.

Sheila said...

I love your scarves. Beautiful colors! Makes me want to try to make one for myself.
SWEET heart. Cute models. Love your post, Denise.

Lyndsey said...

I love you scarfs and Ellie, June and Sawyer are such cuties. I so want a snow day but all we get is rain! That heart is delightful and I like all your embellishments. Great work.

Helen said...

Love your Crazy Heart in This Cray weather! Stay bundled up with your beautiful scarf!

Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Very pretty heart! I live in the northeast so I have several scarves and I wear the cowl ones when it is bitter cold out. Love the color of yours. Visiting from Thursday Favorite Things

Judy said...

Beautiful. I'm hosting a link up party if you want to link up.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

The weather is crazy...but the kids are adorable...fun to be in the house with!! Thanks for linking up with katies favorite things blog hop today!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wonderful warm finish - and just in time too :) Your grand-girls are so adorable all wrapped up in that lovely yarn! And of course, I love the heart... you really made it special with the embellishments :) My favorite of the post though is Sawyer playing in the snow - such JOY!!!!

Paula said...

The weather is unbelievable, isn't it? We have had the coldest winter in decades. Temps way below zero (-34) and wind chills (-56) that freeze one in place.
I have been catching up on my blog reading. Girl, you have been a busy, busy bee. My gosh, with all the sewing, knitting or crocheting do you have any fingers left/ Let alone fingerprints!
Stay warm. I am sending warm thoughts you way.
Hugs

mamas*little*treasures said...

Hi Denise - thanks for stopping by mamas*little*treasures. Just had to come back over and ask . . . what's a "no reply" blog? ;o) I definitely don't want to miss any replies so can you help me figure it out please? Thanks my friend! Nina

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That crazy heart is great! Glad you are warm, you are welcome to come shovel some of my snow. It just finished snowing here, more to come on Tuesday, along with below zero temps. I want winter to go away!

Katherines Corner said...

I smiled through this entire post.Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog hop. Big Hugs ♥

Kate said...

You've been busy. The knitted scarves are great, I love that yellow! Sawyer has great color sense. The CQ Heart is very pretty.

Sarah said...

I only recently found out that the day we were -9F, the South Pole was only -6F. CRAZY!!

We are due for another storm tonight and it's been frigid all day. Of course, this is after it all thawed last Saturday and everything is now covered in a sheet of ice, like my driveway while I attempted to get the garbage bin out this morning. ugh.