Wednesday, March 26, 2014

what's up, doc . . .

I've been talking about a carrot table topper/runner for the last month, now. I've finally pulled the fabrics, gotten them ironed, and started working things out!
That looks like a carrot shape, doesn't it?!  :)
I'm still trying to figure out for sure if I want to cut it out, sandwich it right sides together so I can sew it up and turn it right-side-out and then quilt it, *OR* sandwich it right sides out, stitch the outline, and then cut it out with pinking shears (no binding either way). Still deciding, but I'm leaning toward the former option, because I *know* how I want to create the green, leafy stems. 
Those I'm going to outline stitch stems across the width and then cut out the stem shapes with the pinking shears and stitch into the tops of the carrot shape. I'm sandwiching the stems with green felt since I'll leave the sides open . . . 
That way you won't see any 'white' in the stems ... just that darker green from the felt.  Linking up today with Esther Aliu's WOW = WIPs On Wednesdays!  Esther is scanning quilting magazines today (which I'm doing as well)!

In other news, I'm hoping that by introducing Spring into my interior decorating...
...it'll coax it into my exterior!! Y'all, we had SNOW flurries yesterday and temps overnight dipped down into the low 20's. I was so concerned about our daffodils, I culled about half of them and added them to the vase I already had going!
My vase overflowereth! Haha!! Get it??!  I'm so punny! :)
Thankfully today is supposed to be the last (last) day of bitter cold temps, but as the warm front and Spring move in, so does the threat of severe weather.  Out of the frying pan, into the fire?!  At least it's warmer in the fire!  LOL!

:)

15 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I need to pull some spring items/colors out and 'bring' Spring on. No snow, but it got super cold and windy.

Janet O. said...

You are so clever in your carrot construction. I am interested to see the finished product.
Wow, that is a serious Spring bouquet!! Love it!
*LOL* I thought at first that you said you were so puny! : )

Mary said...

I see rain and wind in our forecast. I'm a "SUN" worshiper when I see it I have to go out! Your Daffy's are varied and sooo Pretty!

Barbara said...

I love those carrotf fabrics. Very pretty.

Melissa Bishop said...

That is pretty funny! I bought some daffodils at the grocery store today. I'm looking forward to them opening. I love the white and yellow combo in your vase!

Kate said...

Looking forward to seeing your spring carrots take shape.

It's raining and cold, but we are supposed to get warm temps tomorrow, along with the threat of thunderstorms in the morning. I think you have the right of it, out of frying pan,right into the fire.

Jean(ie) said...

It's spring in the trella... spring I say... LOL!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Your carrot is going to be cute!!! You almost have me convinced to decorate for spring.

We are possibly getting severe weather tomorrow, so it MUST be spring.

I have a hard time picking our daffodils as I love watching them twirl in the wind in their yellow skirts along the drive. Guess with about a thousand, I could pick a few.

Marsha Cooper said...

That carrot table runner is sure going to be cute. What a neat idea!

Katherines Corner said...

your spring decor is wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing your carrot runner. Thank you for sharing your lovely blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

You are so creative...thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!

Sarah said...

I think because the stems will be cut with the pinking shears that I would do the carrot part rightsidestogether and then turn it right side out. I think the edging contrasts will look nice.

Needled Mom said...

That carrot print is fabulous as are those daffodils.

Esther Aliu said...

What fabulous flowers! Can't wait to see your finished carrot project:)

Teresa in Music City said...

Your carrot quilt is going to be fun and very happy! Or should I say "hoppy"? LOL!!! I too put out all the spring deco stuff hoping it would encourage warmer weather. I'm SO ready for winter to be over!!!!