Wednesday, September 17, 2014

whew . . .

Whew: an exclamation: used to express surprise, relief, or a feeling of being very hot or tired.

Whew! I've been working this week. At a job. A real job. Well, out side of the home job. In an office. It amazes me how fast one gets used to NOT working in an office. LOL! I've been pinch hitting, so to speak, just for this week. It's been busy (and long hours), but I've enjoyed it! The office hours are 7:30 to 5:30, Monday thru Thursday. This makes for a very long day, but a short week!
This is one of the things I've been working on this week. Putting the Association on Facebook. Yay! 

I also had some very sweet visitors at work . . . 
My Merkel girls! Ellie was very impressed with the office space and even more impressed with the pens, pencils, markers, scissors and letter openers, just sitting in a jar on the desk, within reach.
She drew me a darling picture of her hand . . . 
Complete with a boo-boo on it. I love special art work!

I haven't had a lot of time to stitch this week (or last, or the week before), but I did finish piecing my antique rose.
I started it because one of the classes at our Quilt-In (in July) was making one of these with a special acrylic template. Since I love English paper piecing, I decided to try the same block, only use EPP to put it together (and to use my Michael Miller Fairy Frost fabrics to do it).
That was a lot of work! I love hand piecing, so I enjoyed it very much. I'm just not sure that I'd ever do more of this one . . . or what I'm going to do with what I've got! The card stock templates are still in the 'kite' shapes (hence the funky black thread lines running through it all). I will remove those as soon as I've decided what to do with it! Linking up to HeLP for Hexie-aholics!!

And finally, guess what?  I'm a *winner*!!  Whoohoo (vs Whew)!!!
Marsha (who is a fellow RVer) had a lovely giveaway over at her blog, Quilter in Motion, and I won a book by Heather Ross (fabric designer and so much more); How to Catch a Frog!  She also wrote How to Behave at a Tea Party, which is on my 'to be purchased' list!!

One more day.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can . . .  Whew!

:)

11 noted . . .:

Janet O. said...

Oh, boy, I don't know if I could go back to an office job--haven't had one of those since my college days!
Love Ellie's look of concentration as she traces her hand. So cute.
Beautiful frosted rose! I will be interested to see what you do with it. : )
Are you starting another winning streak?!?

Melissa Bishop said...

Oh dear, you ARE a busy lady. Your rose is lovely. Have a great weekend!

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow - I don't evny you! I wonder every now and again if I would/should get a part-time job, but then I wake up and say, "Duh!!! Why would you do that?" Glad you are enjoying your stint as working lady, and that you had such sweet helpers to make it fun :)

Needled Mom said...

That does make for a long day, but nice to be distracted by those cute visitors.

Mary said...

Fairy Frost are a Fav of mine. I like how you did the Star. Fun Visitors. Ellie knows just what to make for her Neesey!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Year before last I went to work....for a year. It had been 10 years out of the rat race for me and I found it invigorating but exhausting. So glad now to be back in the RV and gazing at the beautiful golden Aspens in the Rockies. :) blessings, marlene

Marsha Hodgkins said...

Denise,
I'm so glad you enjoyed "How to Catch a Frog". I loved it to, and somehow I missed that she had written another book! I'm going to be looking for the other one now.

Love your block and have missed your blog. My computer had to be totally restored to factory standards and I lost all my bookmarked blogs. So happy to have your back! Missed you.

Marsha
QuilterinMotion.net

Maria said...

The paper pieced block is beautiful...lovely fabrics too :-)

Sarah said...

Really, Denise, you won a give-away? I'm totally surprised!!! LOL.

Your rose star looks fantastic - now I just want to hear what it's going to become...

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

When we still lived in Texas, I would 'fill in' for my fathers office girls while they went on vacation. From zero hours a week, to full time overnight. I had small children at home, too. I'd love a part time office job, but, I don't really want to go back full time again.

Quilter Kathy said...

Stopping by to see what you're up to! Love the EPP block! Looks tricky to put together