Sunday, September 02, 2018

five day weekends are da bomb . . .

That's right.  I took Thursday and Monday's a holiday, so five day weekend. Bliss!
I've gotten a lot started and finished so far, too! I told you about my idea for an acorn mug rug, right? How that? Concept to actualization! It was a little tricky, but worth the effort. I'll probably make at least one more of these ... maybe two or three!

I was bullied into encouraged to finish the patriotic topper . . .
Really pleased with how this turned out, especially since I did use the pillowcase method to finish it. That's kinda hard to do and maintain your hexie shapes at the same time! I also really like that my stars created a secondary quilted hexie which you can see nicely on the back . . .
Pretty cool! I'll definitely have this out for Veteran's Day. :)  Thank you to those who encouraged! :)

And I continue to work on my pumpkin hexie mug rug . . . 
I wasn't outside, but this was my stitching environ last evening. Watching Saturday football! ROLL TIDE! (They did win, in a rather spectacular way; 51-14. How's that for a season opener?! I'll take it!)

I also started this really sweet embroidery, which I'd also like to use in an autumn mug rug, somehow:
It's from the book, Stitches from the Harvest:  Hand Embroidery Inspired by Autumn. 
Now if that isn't a book from right up my autumn-loving alley, I don't know what is! By the way, that embroidery shot was taken overlooking the *turtle* sanctuary . . . it's a pretty idyllic spot to stitch, with the birdsong and the waterfall! I've got a vague idea of how I'm going to do to incorporate into a mug rug.  Stay tuned.

And what long weekend would be complete without time with grands?
I spent a good portion of Friday hanging with these girls; we had fun playing with the filters in Instagram. Ellie's lost both of her top, front teeth! What a grin! I never seem to get a picture of Edith ... I think it's because I'm too busy holding her to snap photos of her!  ;)

The lovely thing is, I still have today *AND* tomorrow! Yup, bliss.

Linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday.  Have a great Labor Day!

:)

16 expressed . . .:

Barbara said...

Looks like a lovely day. Your acorn mug rugs are intriguing. Very cute, and you’re right about that hexie quilt pattern. Aren’t you clever? I think we should all work two days and take five days off every week.

Barb Neiwert said...

Yes, yes - two days on, five days off. Works for me! Those acorn mug rugs are adorable. I thought at first they were hot pads, but I guess could be either if you had the heat resistant batting in them. Our BSU Broncos pulled out a great win over Troy yesterday, 59-20. Nice way to start off the season. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Needled Mom said...

Extra time for play AND for family is always a blessing. The little ones are darling. Your acorn mug rugs are super cute too.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the photo of the new stitchery by the turtle pond! What a lovely place to stitch!
Enjoy your long weekend and all those sweet children!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I was just looking at some Kathy Schmitz embroidery patterns. I have had the itch to do some just need to find the time. Your acorn mug run is wonderful.

Sarah said...

Enjoy your extra long weekend and sewing!

Deb said...

I love those acorn mug rugs they are so sweet, the embroidery you are currently working on is sweet, I love that book I really need to pull it out and start a few myself. Such a serene place to stitch in. Have a Safe and Happy Labor Day

Sandy said...

Goodness you got a lot done! Love the threaded needle ...made me smile. Kids look like they're having a good time.

<a href="https://4ccccs.blogspot.com/2018/09/pasta-poppers-toilet-paper-roll-and.html>Sandy's Space</a>

Pamela said...

Great finishes! Good for your encouragers because now you have the perfect Veteran's Day finish. Mug rugs are always useful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Fun pictures of your grandchildren! Cute mug rugs...you will be all ready for fall!

Jill said...

Acorn mug rug idea is perfect. Nice fall stitching projects does put one in the mood for autumn. Continue to enjoy your long weekend.

Sarah said...

Sew many mugrugs and they are all adorable! When are u making a mugrug book??!! Can I bully - er - Encourage- you to do that too??!! Enjoy the rest of ur family time - I’m looking forward to a quiet afternoon ☺️

Dianna said...

Oh my, Denise! That acorn mug rug is just GORGEOUS! I love the fabrics that you have used and how you've used them! So stunning! And the patriotic hexies...YAY for you for going ahead with finishing it instead of laying it aside to finish at another time. I turned out beautifully! And the hand embroidery is very pretty. You do such wonderful work!

And your grands...oh my! They are adorable!

Lisa in Port Hope said...

Sounds like a blissful weekend indeed! Enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Kate said...

The patriotic topper turned out beautifully! The acorn mug rug is really fun. The girls look like they were having a great holiday weekend too. We took Friday off to make it a 4 day weekend, that was nice! Happy stitching this week.

Jennie in GA said...

Looks like your weekend was filled with all kinds of happy busyness. Now back to reality. I remember those days....Can’t say enough for retirement.