Monday, August 27, 2018

the end of the journey . . .

Posterity being important, I decided to go ahead and include my last A Quilter's Journey article on the blog -- but backdated it. If you find it (and challenge yourself to read to the bitter end), bless you. :)


For this final look into A Quilter’s Journey, I felt that membership has heard enough from me.  I wanted you to hear from a sampling of our membership … old and new … about their respective journeys in the guild this past year, and how it—and YOU—have influenced them.

I started near the top with first vice-president, Kari H.  Kari wrote, “I knew this was going to be a fun year with Pam as president. I was eager to step up and help when she asked me to be her first vice president. I helped her recruit her board, reaching out to members like Pauline, Bonnie, Pat and Beverly to fill really important positions. The entire board helped move the guild forward, with the superb additions of the Tinsel Trail holiday tree and Panoply of the Arts as ways to reach out to our community. My favorite meeting of the year was when Ellen -- our first president from 30 years ago -- took us down memory lane, but I also really enjoyed Teresa Rawson, Judy B., the Challenge and so many other great programs. I was challenged by serving as the first vice president and then taking on much of the duties of the second vice president.  Building coalitions, encouraging partnerships, developing programs, finding new ways to share our love of quilting and getting to know our growing membership base really made this a spectacular year of leadership for me, and I am looking forward to building on that in the new year to come.”

Next, I solicited input from Joan B., a new guild member this year.  Joan responded, “First of all, thank you for taking in a stranger from another state. Many of you have lifted my spirits and brightened my days.  My grandson, when he was 10, helped me design my first quilt, told me what fabrics to purchase as we shopped in a quilt store in a predominantly Amish area of northern Indiana called Shipshewana. I finished it within 10 months and was hooked. That was 2015-2016. You all with your expertise have given me great dreams toward which to strive.  I have learned from two of your fabulous teachers. And, one fine long-arm quilter quilted my grey/white, king-sized quilt. The meetings each month tell of real people creating real beauty through all of life’s ups and downs. You are impressive! I have yet to make a quilt with a ready-made pattern. Oh, wait! I did an Edyta Sitar “Little Handfuls of Scraps” quilt with Barbara Black.  I have made 11 quilts, have three UFO’s, have embroidered 2 baby onesies, made 6 embroidered towels and I love making aprons!  I still struggle with which colors to use but have a color wheel. It’s getting better.  There is great joy in getting together even if you don’t know anyone. It’s a positive environment full of talent and skill! The challenges each month or the show and tell or the classes offered bring each to the realization that “someday I’ll make family heirlooms worthy of passing on to future generations”.  You are fun. You strive for excellence. You encourage. You all say, “I’m up for the challenge!” Life is a journey and quilting enhances that journey!” 

Long-time guild member, Sarah P., had this to share: “Having a theme for the year was something new for HQH. I thought it was a good idea, but was not sure how it would all tie together. However, when I think about this guild year, and the speakers, topics, and the Stitching the Blues Challenge, A Quilter’s Journey was a great fit. Starting with Ellen’s talk about the history of our guild, lessons on inspiration, time management, using rituals, and ending with the amazing Challenge, it all just fit beautifully. I continue to be blown away by the Challenge, because we all had the same destination, and we all took a different route to get to the end. Crossing the finish line together, and reveling in the talents of each other was a highlight of this guild year for me. But, I know that one night comes from all of the other elements that the guild has worked hard to put together. I cannot wait to see what the next year brings.”

Connie B. is one of our charter members and has served the guild in a variety of positions.  Her comments were, “The guild this year has been exciting and enthusiastic.  As an example, the Challenge.  There has not been that much participation in years.  It was wonderful to see so many entries.  I am continually inspired by the awesome, talented people in our guild.  I like the way they are willing to share techniques with everyone through special workshops and I would like to see more programs like that.  Participation in local community events, like Panoply and the Christmas tree walk have made our presence known in our community. I love the Comfy Quilt Community Outreach Program, also.  The people in our guild are so very generous.  Membership has increased, which means nice things are being said about our guild so people want to join. I am so happy to see young people joining and participating in the guild so that it will continue to flourish throughout the coming years.  It is always easy to criticize others when they are in a leadership position, but I have nothing but admiration for those who take on the leadership roles each year and I am pleased with the new ideas and talent they bring to the guild.  God bless you all for all of the hard work you have done for us!  Thank you.”

Another new-to-the-guild member was Rhoda J.  Her thoughts on this year’s guild year:  “A sweet lady I know invited me to come one evening because she would see the quilts I made and posted on Facebook.  Well I went and may I just say, I look forward to every month.  The guild showed me it was ok to share what I made and that nothing is perfect. Everyone is nice and there is no judgement on anything you make. The first time I went, I won a prize too—Halloween fabric and goodies! As I went each month, my husband would ask, What do you do there? I just listen and look at all the pretty things people make and share. Then there was the Paducah Show! Oh wow, what fun! Fabric, tools and quilts as far as the eye could see. Needless to say, that is where I ordered my Sweet 16 long arm. I love it!  I never really expected much from the guild, I just wanted to see what others did, but I’m glad I joined.  They are a wonderful bunch of people. I can’t wait to go to Paducah again and just visit with the ladies. The Stitchin’ the Blues challenge was difficult for me just because I can’t do anything small. It was wonderful to see how many people made something for it though.  So interesting to look at all of them.  I am thankful I went to the quilt show at the Von Braun and joined the guild.  Again, I look forward to it each month and thank all of you that make it possible.”

Leslie B., who served as the guild’s secretary over the past year, responded to my inquiry with, “Our guild is like a scrappy quilt; so many different pieces of unique individuals all with various shades of beauty. It was my heart’s desire to get more involved, so that I could connect with these amazing, creative people and build some new friendships. In addition, I learned that other people were also reaching out to connect with others, who shared in their same love for this “Art of Quilting”. This art of quilting brings to mind Fabric, Fun, Friendship and FOOD!!  And each of our guild meetings has shared that experience with us all.  My expectations were beyond met; they overflowed with such abundance and JOY!”

Many of you know Gail S., who served on our board for the past few years.  Her thoughts were:  “I love being a member of our Guild.  Every year it brings camaraderie and fun into my life!  This guild year I was the Workshops Coordinator, and it gave me a new angle to enjoy the guild from, as well as a set of new challenges.  I learned the ins and outs of getting things ready to roll for the workshops, and learned to ask for/accept help when I needed it (a tough one for me!).  Despite not having quilted as much as I wanted to this year (unplanned remodeling...) I got excited by being able to more accurately get my 1/4 inch while participating in a small block swap, and having fun with a new method of machine applique.  I got to know some guild members a bit better this year, and have had fun with all my quilting friends.  And of course watching all the quilts at show and tell, in our Challenge this July, and our 'Fan Block Parade' is an endless source of inspiration.  Guild gives me the opportunity to enjoy a bit of beauty and creativity, and keeps me motivated in pursuing this wonderful complex hobby of ours.  I think of it as an essential part of my life!”

Wow! Are you seeing the recurring theme here?  Our guild—and its members—make an impact!

My name is Denise and I’m a quilter who’s enjoyed this year’s journey. I hope you have, too.  :)

1 expressed . . .:

Kate said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful group of quilters to hang out with.