Once upon a time there was a blogger who was participating in an online Advent calendar blog hop with Jo at Serendipitous Stitching, but she got her dates mixed up and didn't realize her date was the 20th (instead of the 22nd) until she hopped over to check out today's feature.
It was me. I'm that blogger. Glad I made the realization before noon (CST)!
This year, Jo, who so graciously hosts this annual hop, has asked participants to share about their Christmas tree traditions! This is an easy one for me!
Growing up, and even well into adulthood, I always enjoyed a real tree! I love the trudging out to get it, setting it up, stringing the lights, bringing out the ornaments and enjoying all the memories that they evoked, and then enjoying the tree's grandeur all through the season. Even though they're work, a live tree just smelled good and made me happy.
| Trees of Christmas past. |
But when we made the move from the sticks & bricks house to the RV in 2009, we realized there was no bringing a live tree into our living space. There simply wasn't room. So we purchased a small, artificial tree . . .
I adore this tree. We've had it for every year we've been in the RV except one. But paring down on the tree meant paring down on the ornaments I'd collected over the years, too--though you wouldn't know it, seeing how packed it is! I kept the ones with the most poignant memories (that weren't huge/too big for the tree) and gave my son and daughter their pick from the remainder. It's fun to visit their homes during the Christmas season and see ornaments I purchased over the years, on their trees! But I know the origin/story/gifter of every single ornament on my RV tree. It almost makes me a little teary-eyed thinking about it!
I also have a little quilted tree in my mini stand that makes me smile . . .
Ellie saw this one yesterday and decided she'd like to make a Christmas pillow similar to it. She liked all the beaded 'ornaments' on it!
Our family's favorite Christmas tree story involves a cat. Gwenevere was full of cattitude. I'd been holding her in my lap, playing with her, and evidently she got tired of me messing with her. She escaped from my lap, ran over to the Christmas tree, gave me a look over her shoulder as if to say, "I'll show you," and turned around and BIT a light off the Christmas tree. I was horrified! I mean, she could have electrified herself or short circuited the whole house ... or at the very least, cut her mouth! But no, she just ate glass ... kind of like the Grinch ... and sulked under the tree for the rest of the day.
I think we retell that story every year, with more and more hilarity! :)
This season, my stitching has looked very different. I mentioned in the prior post about the paper ornaments I've been making. They are hand-stitched down the center.
And I learned how to make these cute little canvas poppers, too . . .
The mouth is just big enough to tuck a Hershey's kiss inside. Fun!
So there you have it. Just in the (St.) nick of time! Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out Jo's page to see all the wonderful participants!
Merry, merry!
:)

14 expressed . . .:
Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar this year. Love your big real trees but I can see the little one is easier now space is limited! It is nice to have all the memories of the ornaments too.
I like the little canvas catcher thingie, very clever way of hiding a small surprise.
Visiting your blog was a lovely way to start my day. I really enjoyed your story about your trees and ornaments. The paper angel is absolutely beautiful, as are the other handmade ornaments and the quilted tree. Your tree is delightful and perfect for your RV. Merry Christmas!
Loved this glimpse of your trees from the past and your current tree. So many lovely ornaments, and your cat story is a hoot!
Loved your story, and while hubby and I talked about getting an RV and seeing the country when we both retired, his health isn't allowing us to do that. But what fun. Love you cat story too, our cat fondly called Kitty decided to climb our tree and it came tumbling down and broke so many ornaments. Oh well.
Love the mini hanging.
Such pretty trees - big and small. It's always the memories of the ornaments that make the tree! That's a terrible cat story. I'm so glad all turned out well.
What a lovely post, your trees are lovely and the ornaments are far more interesting than my simple old globes of colour - maybe next year I will have to be more inventive. The paper crafts are really clever, the angel is gorgeous. Happy Christmas.
Beautiful post, Denise! I love those paper ornaments! Wherever did you find those patterns? I love the vintage carol papers too! I hope your kitty is ok after eating that glass. Your tree and your quilted tree are lovely! Merry Christmas!
Your first paragraph cracked me up! And I love the mini tree quilt; I'm a sucker for anything with beads.
Hum, Hershey kisses, sweet memories of a visit in Hershey! I love your music ornaments, such lovely (and romantic) theme for a Christmas tree. One more fun cat story, thanks for sharing. Joyeuses fêtes de Noël ! xxx
Great post Denise!
1st para - always worried that would happen to me! Ha ha!
Poor puss, hope he didn’t suffer any internal damage? We do underestimate cats - they get ever more imaginative in how to get their message through to us. Our naughty Tom just jumps on poor Mitsey (second cat) and makes her squeal when he wants something!
Enjoyed reading about your trees and decorations and I love your patchwork tree, it’s gorgeous!
Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas!
Barbara x
You've had some beautiful live trees in the past, but your mini one looks great too! I love that you have so many treasured ornaments on it and shared the rest with your children.
The quilted tree is pretty too, the beads are perfect with it.
Oh my, Ms Gwenevere certainly had catatude and was playing her her nine lives!
You've made some sweet ornaments, you can't go wrong with adding a little kiss inside.
Happy Christmas.
Your little tree is very pretty, and I love your paper ornaments!
I never got around to checking the last Advent days in the week of Christmas, but I'm glad I saw yours now because that story of your cat who ate the Christmas light is too funny! I'm glad she was ok! Your trees through the years have all been so warm and cozy looking, no matter how large or small! It is nice your children display your ornaments for you!
Post a Comment