Monday, August 08, 2005




The old Roman Road . . .

LOL! I have always imagined that Roman Road to be rocky and secluded and somehow precarious and dangerous! It's rather refreshing to find an image of it with dogs and children cavorting along its path!

Anyway, I *did* promise that I would outline yesterday's sermon. Here it be:

Sunday, August 7, 2005, Morning Worship Service
Flint River Baptist Church
Brother Terry Bryant

Springboard text: Romans 7:24-25 -- Who will set me free from me?


Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this
death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on
the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other,
with my flesh the law of sin.


Romans Chapter 6 shows us the *principle* of the victorious life in Christ, through three key words:

1) KNOW v. 3, 6, 9

First, I have to KNOW that I'm dead with Christ to sin!

2) RECKON v. 11

Next, I need to start each and every day by RECKONing myself dead to SIN!

3) YIELD v. 12-13

Finally, I need to YIELD all of myself as an instrument of righteousness!

Romans Chapter 7 reveals to us the practice of the victorious life in Christ, through two struggles we all deal with:

1) Struggling with the WORD. v. 7-8--the benefit of the Law is that it shows me my sin. (Great! Just what I wanted to see! NOT!) Knowing what I am supposed to do isn't the problem; the struggle is *doing* what I know I'm supposed to do!

2) The ultimate struggle . . . with my FLESH! Yeah, it's true! Read what good ol' Paul says in vs. 15-18:


For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. But if I do
the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which
dwells in me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in
my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is
not.

Paul was quite the eloquent speaker. And he nails this one. My stuggle is not knowing what is right. My struggle is doing what is right! The thing is, I've already learned from Chapter 6, that I'm not enslaved to sin! I'm DEAD TO SIN. Which means when I sin, it's by MY CHOICE!

Then, in Romans Chapter 8, we get the *power* of the victorious life in Christ!

I cannot say no to sin; I can't overcome it. But the Christ living WITHIN ME can!! Christ supercedes the Law like the law of aerodynamics supercedes the law of gravity!

Free at last, free at last! Praise the Lord, I'm free at last!

:)

2 left a comment . . .:

Elina said...

hey. I found your blog because you like "my utmost for his highest".. ;) good book. ur blog was encouraging. God bless!

thebeloved said...

Hi there... I was sad to see you haven't posted for a while...which means you probably don't do this sort of thing anymore. But I really like your title and enjoyed reading your past posts.