Monday, September 09, 2013

leaving, on a jet plane . . .

But unlike the song, I *do* know when I'll be back again!

I'm heading to visit Sister #3 in her new home in New Jersey and spending a couple of days exploring the new hometown with her, then together, we're flying down to Texas to visit Sister #4 and her family (who has also just recently moved into a new home) for a couple of days.  I'm *so* excited!!  Both sisters have already scouted out quilt shops to visit.  In New Jersey we'll be looking in on Olde City Quilts and in Texas we'll be stopping by The Quilt Cottage!  Whoohoo!  Do I have the best sisters, or what???!

I've finished piecing *and* setting my rainbow-star-burst-thingie-piece.  I think I may call it "Luminous"!  
I'm so very pleased with how this turned out!  I learned a lot EPP'ing this, too. I'd like to make it again. Actually, I think a whole quilt made from this block would be awesome! But this first one will definitely be just a table topper.  Perhaps I should name it Prototype instead.  Ha!
Again, printed out the design in EQ to doodle around with quilting ideas.  I like the idea of lots of straight lines, I think.  Keeping it geometric.  

I also pulled out an oldie-but-a-pretty UFO project from last year.  I got stuck trying to figure out what to quilt next.  When I pulled it out last week, it practically screamed at me to put the fans in the four corners! Although, now that I look at it, I wonder if I should turn them around and have the flowers facing each other? Ugh!
I'm also debating on the border to use between the fans in the corners.  I was originally thinking the twist would work best, but seeing it through the picture makes me thing the swirls would be more complimentary.
Ugh, ugh!  Perhaps I haven't gotten any further than I was last July?!

I took my youth girls Sunday school class to the Lincoln County Fair yesterday afternoon!  It was *such* fun and we had such a blast, strolling around and riding rides and people-watching and petting animals.  I really do love all my girls--they keep me young!
Seriously! I love the ears in the first one, but pink is most definitely my color, don't you think?! 

They were even willing to take a look at the Sewing/Crafts exhibition and winners (I think perhaps because the building had A/C!).  The quilts immediately caught my eye, and lo and behold, I saw this sweet quilt:
With a third place ribbon, to boot!  It belongs to Ellen, a friend of mine in our Sassy Sewers group.  And I helped quilt it!  (That's me on the very end, left -- hiding behind Tamara!)  
Ellen quilted it for her autistic grandson, who loves, loves, loves all things fire fighting. There are patches from fire companies all over the *world*!  Pretty cool, huh?

And why this guy was just hanging around on the side of the road, and not entered in the fair, I have no idea:
This is one of our neighbor's pets.  He rather reminds me of "Uncle" from Charlotte's Web!  Sometimes they just let him loose and he wanders across the street.  When I called him, to take his picture, he came running, his tail just a waggin'!  I love living rural.  :)

Finally, just finished stitching up this piece for a StitchMAP class.  I have one more lesson to finish to be done with it.  I had to use at least four different stitches and I think I more than succeeded!  In fact, I used seven . . . chain, running, back, outline, padded, split, and a couple of French knots for good measure.  We had to submit front and back pics of our work . . . 
The point is to make the back as neat and near presentable as the front.  Not too shabby, I'm thinking!

I'm linking up to Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times (Design Wall Monday), and Kathy's Quilts (Slow Stitching Sunday).

Okay ... now off I go to pack and get ready for my trip into the wild blue yonder.  I'll catch ya' on the flip side!

:)

13 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You always have such fun, exciting, and various technique projects on the go. Enjoy your travels - I'll wave across the mts. at ya while you are in NJ.

Janet O. said...

Wow, you are getting to be quite the gadabout! (NOT) : )
Prototype is radiant! Very nice.
You do look very nice in pig---I mean pink!! *LOL* (Couldn't resist)
Excellent stitching! Wouldn't have known that was the back if you hadn't said so!

Mary said...

Glad you get to go and visit your sisters. I only have one and mine is only a couple hours away. I don't get to play with her as much as I'd like now that school is in session. Gotta plan a week-end outing with her. Safe travels! Don't buy anything I wouldn't buy....LOL

Lyndsey said...

Have a great time with your sisters. I always wanted a sister to share stuff with but my 2 brothers are OK and both are into creative and artistic hobbies so we get along fine. Love your prototype, great work and the colours are so happy.

Doniene said...

Wow, info packed post!! And a wonderful one at that!! LOVE "luminous"!! How fun at the fair!!!

I do have one question! Where in Texas? I'm not familiar with the quilt shop - but if you are close - would love to meet you while you are here!!

Blessings and travel mercies!

Needled Mom said...

You are going to have a wonderful time. Enjoy!

There is something about purple and yellows that grab me every time I see the combination. Very pretty.

Teresa in Music City said...

Going to be a world traveler, are you? Such fun to be planning a get-away trip. And with sisters too - double the fun!!! Love your Luminosity - it really is luminous! Your color choices are perfect. I've got a picture in my mind now of that pig coming running when you called - too hilarious!!! I'm sure I'll be laughing about that all day, and people will think I'm nuts because they won't have a clue what I'm giggling about all by myself :*D Have a fun trip & be prepared to show your goodies from the shops when you return!!!

Michelle said...

Enjoy your trip...Olde City Quilts is awesome!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Eat some seafood for me while you are in Corpus. My inlaws have a time share in Mustang Beach. They love it.

Jean(ie) said...

Looks like y'all will be having some serious fun! Hey, we got our plane tickets for November. We'll be at the farm the week before Thanksgiving!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful post to read!
I love rural therapy and quilting therapy and .... fun times with sisters.
I think your hand quilting project is only giving you one step at a time, and yelled at you about the fans, because that's the next step. When the fans are done, it will decide what's next and let you know! LOL
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Ranch Wife said...

Goodness! You have been a busy girl! Sending safe travel prayers - that sounds like a fun-filled trip!

Kate said...

Luminous turned out beautifully!

Pink is definitely your color. It's a fun photo!