Monday, July 21, 2014

the basket doth overfloweth . . .

And I do mean *literally*!

We finished up with VBS on Friday night (well, except for the VBS commencement service on Sunday morning and the VBS visitation and decorating take-down on Sunday evening) and so you'd think that Saturday would be the day I'd do absolutely NOTHING, right?

Wrong.

Saturday was our guild's big Quilt-In!  And since I not only paid to participate, but I was a working member of the committee, you'd better believe I was there, bright and early on Saturday morning!  Unfortunately, I wasn't very prepared to do much quilting during the Quilt-In (I didn't even bring my sewing machine) but I did have some handwork to work on . . .
Yes, I do think I'll have this finished up for a November debut in my mini quilt stand. I wish there was some emoticon I could insert here for *wry grin*.

Hearts--cut from a charm pack of Moda's Chantilly that I purchased--for Miss Olivia's baby quilt . . . 
Which I hope to have finished before she's one.  *grin*

And I also had the presence of mind to bring a couple of notions for the Notions Drawing we had, as well as six fat quarters for the Fat Quarter Drawing (I thought 1.5 yards used would look good on today's stash report).  For each fat quarter brought, you got a chance to win *all* the fat quarters brought.  Same with the notions. And that's where I worked . . . taking peoples notions, fat quarters, and blocks (we also had a block drawing).
And once that slacked off, I sat in front of my laptop and created and produced VBS certificates to hand out on Sunday!  LOL!  Once I finished that up, I put in a movie (a version of Wuthering Heights I'd never seen) and cut and embroidered to my heart's content.  Then it was snack time . . .
Oh yeah, we were treated well in the Quilt-In!  And not just with tasty treats (not to mention breakfast and dinner), but we also came away with some very fun goodies . . .
A treat bag filled with chocolates and some other door prizes (a $5 LQS gift certificate and a seam ripper), a seam marker, and a thank you from the organizer - a pretty luggage tag!

After dinner we got down to the business of drawing names for the notions, blocks and fat quarters. I had our guild president pick the four winning names.  I think we had the most participation in the fat quarter drawing . . .
That basket was full!

The basket went home with ME -- my name was the one drawn!! I was so shocked . . . and so much for depleting my stash a little and making my stash report look good!! Baaahahaha!!!!
There were SEVENTY-THREE fat quarters in the basket, for a total yardage of 18.25 yards.  A return of 12 to 1 on the fat quarters I put in.  Aye yi yi!!

Our evening class was a guild nametag class.  I'd signed up for that and was prepared to go up and listen. My old nametag was looking a little dated . . .
My darling affirmation sister, Sarah, taught the class and gifted me with one of her sample nametags . . . I finished it up this morning by stitching down the binding, adding the ribbon, and stitching my name:
And then transferred all my fun pins to it!
Now it's ready to wear!

We had a blast Saturday, and a blast Sunday, finishing up with VBS.  And today I'm spent!  So one last thing here . . .
The used/donated number reflects the two little projects I had made earlier this month and the six fat quarters I'd turned in . . . which actually netted me quite the intake!  Aaaah well, we'll find some uses for the pretties! Gonna go ahead and link this up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times!

:)

11 sweet people commented:

Melissa Bishop said...

What a cute name tag. Sounds like you had a great time. How fun it is to spend time with ladies who love the same things as you.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love your new name tag - oh, all that FQ goodness - I would swim in them.

Norece said...

Congrats on the win! Sounds like you enjoyed a great day and was able to accomplish a bunch of different things.

Mary said...

It's fun to WIN Fq's even if you have to add them to your Stash count. I like your new Name tag too. Glad you took the time to join the guild day.

Kate said...

Wow, that's quite a weekend! I love those hearts. It's going to be a darling quilt.

Congrats on winning the fat quarters. And on finishing up your new name tag. Hope you get a chance to catch your breath this week.

Needled Mom said...

Aww heck....gotta love adding to the stash when you have so many fun fat quarters coming your way!!

Cute name tag too!

Missy Shay said...

What a busy, fun day/week you have had! Wow, what a great win with all of those fat quarters!

Teresa in Music City said...

My goodness, I was out of breath just reading your post! You were lucky to win the basket of fq's - woohoo!!! Sounds like a fun time was had by all :)

Sarah said...

LOL - sounds like you had a grand time at the quilt-in (I'm going to suggest the drawings for our fall retreat) but I LOL'd when you won the FQs. Not only do you have the *best* luck but it was kinda funny that you were trying to deplete the stash and it back fired. Big time back fired. Can't wait see what you make with the new pretties :-)

Michelle F said...

I like the hearts...very pretty
Your snack is making me hungry...LOL

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Personally, I think an increase in stash is the better deal. Much more fun that way. Of course, if I had a clue how much stash I actually have, I'm sure I'd be shocked.