Friday, August 01, 2014

cruising into august . . .

We are so enjoying these lovely fall days.  Ummm...only it's summer.  Trust me, I am NOT complaining!! We had some of the most beautiful weather ever this past month . . . hard to believe it was July in Alabama. In fact, we set a record low temp this week . . . the record -- 61° -- was set in 1914.  One hundred years ago.  And the low that broke the record?  A whopping 57°!  C-R-A-Z-Y!

More of the same here.  Enjoying family and grands.  
I think . . . in this picture . . . Sawyer's telling the two girls about giants in the camp. June paid absolutely NO attention to him. Ellie rode around the camp for the rest of the evening with her hands over her eyes because she didn't want to see scary giants.
Look how big Miss Olivia has gotten!  And she's just started smiling on purpose -- it's such fun!!  She is definitely a Sawyer/June sibling, too . . . they all look very similar at this age!

Also studying lessons and preparing for discipleship classes. Keeping up with turtles and other camp-related things.  
July is usually the slowest month of the camp, because generally it's so hot, humid and mosquito-ridden, that no one wants to be up here.  Not the case this year!  

I have been working on a couple of little things. And one big *surprise* kind of thing that I need to wait a while to share. I think I've decided that the space in the new RV is actually better workspace than what I had in the old RV:
I love the counter top space in the kitchen ... perfect for rotary cutting!  Haha!   took up a challenge to make some bookmarks.  Good way to use up scraps!
They were easy and whipped up really quick.  The tutorial for the book mark is HERE and the tutorial for the fabric flower at the top is HERE.

Joc called me on Tuesday of this week from Hancock's (fabric store).  She was looking for material to make curtains for Ellie's "big girl" room.  Yes, that's happening . . . Everley is due in a MONTH.  Anyway, Joc is talking to me on the phone and realizes she's lost track of Ellie.  Where does she find her??
Girlfriend had found the fat quarter wall!  She is my granddaughter, there's no denying it!  Joc said her little hands were so full of fat quarters that Ellie was dropping them.  Too cute!  And Ellie didn't want to put any of them back, either!
I told Joc to tell Ellie that if she would just pick her favorite TWO fat quarters, Neesey would make her a little purse with them.  It was tough, but we finally managed to come up with these two.
And don't you know, Ellie has reminded me every time she's seen me and every time we've talked on the phone, that I'm making her a purse.  Joc even mentioned that it was the first thing out of her mouth the other morning.  I gotta make good on this purse!

So, here it is -- not too bad, eh?  Just a simple origami-folded drawstring purse . . .
With secret pockets for treasures (and things you might want to hide from a baby sister) . . .
And coordinating accent pieces . . .
With a pearl for the center.  For Miss Eleanor Pearl.

It's how this Neesey rolls.  Happy Friday, y'all!

:)

10 noted . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

They are all growing so fast! Now that's a girl after my heart, too - great eye for color! Ah, super purse for that sweetie.

tink's mom said...

What beautiful eyes...that's why she was able to choose such beautiful fabric for that wonderful big girl purse.

Janet O. said...

Great sewing set-up. Does anyone ever want to eat?
Oh, that is too funny about Ellie. You have taught her well. : )
Sweet little purse you made for her.

Melissa Bishop said...

We have had so much rain lately here in Colorado that it is starting to feel like we like in the PNW. No complaints here though as I love rain and fog. I'm weird like that! lol
Your new creative space is fantastic. I am so happy that you like it.
TTFN- God bless.

Mary said...

I saw the pic of Ellie on FB and Laughed so hard! You have taught her well. How nice for her to have a baby Sister coming. The purse is really cute. Maybe I should think about making purses for my 6 Grand-daughters for Christmas...LOL

Michelle F said...

Cute pictures!

I like fabric bookmarks the best.
My mom made me some fabric bookmarks.

Missy Shay said...

I love the flower on the purse, mine never turn out that good!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

You are a good Neesey!!! Looks like fabric bug is spreading to another generation!!!! CUTE purse!!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

What a good grandmother! Cute purse!

Kate said...

They are all getting so big. They grow up so fast.

Love Miss Ellie's purse! I bet you are her favorite grandma.