Wednesday, August 13, 2014

late-breaking stash reporting . . .

I've been wanting to share this stash report for ages, because there was such a decent (for a change) use of fabric!  But I couldn't say why until now, so I've patiently waited . . .
Whoohoo!  There was a big purchase in there for the backing and binding. But I turned right around and used it up.  So my numbers are again moving in the direction I'd like them to! (Going ahead and linking this up to the Stash Report at Patchwork Times.)

The quilt finish is one I've worked on (procrastinated on) for a LONG time.  It was a memory quilt for a sweet friend whose father passed away.  I'd asked her if she had cotton shirts of his to make a quilt from. What I got was a box of interesting shirts . . . but a LOT of rayon and poly blends.  It took me a while to come up with a design and once I did, it took me a while to realize I needed to use stabilizer in order to piece the top. But I think the overall quilt finished up nicely:
The center was a bit of a bugger . . . almost all rayon! And notice the quilt is hanging on a clothesline?! Yay! My sweet hubby hung it for me.  I've even already used it for hanging clothes to dry!

Our mutual friend Ronda had offered at the get-go to quilt it for me/her and she did a *spectacular* job of it!
Isn't it beautiful?

I had enough cut squares to make a matching pillow, too:
And it's reversible (the pillow, I mean) . . . 
Because I am totally in love with the flannel backing -- it's a nice feminine counter to the front!

There was a bit of a delay before I could deliver it to my friend, but she was finally home yesterday and I was able to drop it off.  I hope she enjoys it!!

:)

10 sweet people commented:

Jean(ie) said...

What an awesome gift! Love it! Yay for the negative number> LOL!Yay for using fabric. My stash seems to be growing again... So much for my no-buy!

Mary said...

Glad you could make such a nice gift! It's a beautiful gift!

Annette-California said...

Gorgeous!!! What a loving gesture and extremely special gift you made for your friend. I would think she would be overwhelmed how beautiful it turned out:) love Annette

Sarah said...

I still think it's a great design and your friend did a wonderful job quilting it. I'm sure your friend will enjoy snuggling with her dad's shirts!

Janet O. said...

What a great memory quilt. And it is beautifully quilted! How could she not love it?!?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You did an super job blending all those shirts and what a sweet quilt it did make.

Momof3girls said...

The quilt is beautiful. I'm sure the recipient was extremely happy with it. :)

Melissa Bishop said...

Gorgeous!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Good job.

Kate said...

Beautifully done! You made really good use of the shirts. Congrats on the finish.