Wednesday, October 04, 2017

a mixed bag . . .

I did some VERY BADLY needed organizing and deep cleaning in the Nook two weekends or so ago, so I've been able to spend snatches of time as they come along, working on an assortment of projects.  One of those is actually two of the same piece, mostly, which I created as a gift and then did another for a swap.  It hasn't been gifted yet, so I'll just show a little intriguing bit . . .
Ha!  In another week or so I'll share it in its entirety and by then I may have made a third one!

I've worked on a couple of UFOs that were (literally) hanging around . . .
I don't know why I let things like this sit around for so long, unfinished. This fun little Halloween piece was a flimsy -- now it just needs some hand quilting.
And I'm not even going to begin to make excuses for this one. I've pulled out the second quarter panel and have been working the alphabet embroidery on it.  It's only been a year and a half. The first panel is pictured in this post.
And this only qualifies as a UFO in that I can't submit it for our quilt show until this label is properly secured to The Pineapple Quilt. Oh yeah, and a sleeve, too.  Ugh. That's my LEAST favorite part.

I started and finished this campy little wool piece . . .
It's a skinny-mini project; isn't it cute? Can you smell the fire? Taste the s'mores??!

And who would I be if I wasn't--in the middle of it all--creating something new (on paper) to add to my project list?!
I got to thinking that each of the grandkids needs a Christmas lap quilt. This one would be easy enough to construct in a day (the four blocks measure at 15" X 18") and could be done in a variety of mix 'n match Christmas fabrics. It's an enlarged version of a Kathy Tracy small quilt.

I'm still planning out my hexi-flower-waterfall quilt. If I get the paper pieces and the acrylic template for my birthday, then it's meant to be!

Finally, another little wool finish, running across the 'mantle' in the living room:
I don't know why I've become so banner-crazy in the last year, but there it is.  And I adore this simple, easy, leafy banner!

Y'all . . . it's October . . . hurrah!!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Libby in TN said...

Hurrah, indeed!

Janet O. said...

Love the owl in the middle of the hexie piece.
Are you leaving the seven on the label off in case it really doesn't get finished this year? :)
LOVE the little campfire piece. That is so cute.
A Christmas lap quilt for each grandchild by Christmas? You have counted the number of grandchildren you have, right? And you have counted the weeks until Christmas, right? Do you plan on doing anything else with your life? Sorry, I just know how stressed I get when I make those kinds of deadlines for myself. Maybe you aren't like that. They will be wonderful quilts, and the grandchildren will love them!
Cute leaf banner. I think banners lend a festive air without taking up a lot of space.

Pamela said...

Wonderful variety of projects! I have quite a few projects that just need a bit more to finish. I don't know why i start new ones instead of finishing the others.

Sarah said...

It's somebody's favorite month!! I bet you like banners cuz they are quick to make, change out and small to store - completely changing the decor in the wink of an eye. You've been quite busy working on UFOs so i say you deserve a new project. Im using the same philosophy, except I'm starting 2 - long story. Enjoy working thru your found projects! Looking forward to more photos 😀

Missy Shay said...

I love your banner!

Kris said...

I love all your projects, Denise!! My favorite is the Christmas lap quilt block for the grand kids' quilts!! Oh, yeah and the campy wool piece!! :-))

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Busy! Busy! Busy!

Kate said...

You've got some fun stuff in the works. Happy stitching.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

You have been very busy with all your different projects! How sweet to make all the grands a lap quilt, will be a lot of work, but something they can always treasure! Love the leaf banner too, I agree, it is the small things that make us smile :) Your campfire quilt is delightful, really fun... I do believe I smell the smores burning, lol! Hugs to you today :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the halloween hexies!
And the lovely hexie project that you made for Janet is fabulous!

Dianna said...

Denise, your quilting never ceases to amaze me! Do you think I would qualify as one of the grandkids so I could have a Christmas lap quilt? What you do with fabric reminds me so much of my precious mother-in-law. Her favorite kind of quilting was applique. We have two that she made for us and then after she and my father-in-law both passed away I was blessed with one of her old ones. I think I remember her saying that it was actually the first quilt she ever made. It is a log cabin design and it keeps us warm through the winter as we snuggle under it.

roth phallyka said...

Cute leaf banner. I think banners lend a festive air without taking up a lot of space.




เย็ดสาว