Sunday, May 22, 2016

a lucky break . . .

For all my good intentions, I didn't get a bloomin' thing under my sewing machine this week...more busyness! Todd and I headed to Montgomery on Wednesday evening after church. It's about a three hour (and some change) drive and we had a conference that started at 8:30 the next morning -- so we decided we go down the night before. What we didn't realize when we made that decision was that the *state* softball and baseball tournaments were in Montgomery this past week, and getting a hotel room was night impossible!

It all worked out for the best, though.  We love to stay in different B&Bs, so we were lucky to snag the *last* room available at Red Bluff Cottage Bed and Breakfast.  We got in late and went directly to our room, so we didn't really have a chance to explore, but I knew all was well when I saw this on our door . . .
Yes, we stayed in the Stitch in Time room.  What are the odds??!  It was so sweet -- she had framed blocks from quilts her mother and grandmother had made, hanging on the wall over the bed.
And lots of little embroidered pieces and stitching books and pictures that just made me feel right at home! It's funny to me it was the last available room, when it would have been my first choice if all the rooms had been available!

Breakfast was delicious, too.  But check this out . . .
Stitching *and* tea?!?  This place was my B&B dream!  LOL!  We had homemade waffles and sausage . . .
It was very good! In fact, I had to take a picture of Todd's plate because I started eating without a second thought about a picture! Unfortunately, we had to get to the conference, so we still didn't get to hang around and take it all in. That's one B&B I'd like to revisit someday. And we met a lovely couple who were 'on holiday' from the U.K. Get this -- they'd visited New England and the East Coast before, but because they'd fallen in love with the show Nashville, they wanted to visit the South.  I equated it to me wanting to visit England because of Downton Abbey!

We didn't get home until well after dark on Thursday, and Jocelyn came by with both girls on Friday morning. We thought the day was going to be a rain out, but it didn't hardly rain at all!  We'd been wanting to share the turtle sanctuary with Everley (Ellie just came for tea, coloring, and movies). Because it was a bit cool, there weren't too many turtles out and about, but there were some.  And there were some big ol' toads, which to Evey are almost as good as turtles (almost)! Evey and I went out to take a last look after lunch and I was uncovering leaves to see who was buried, and I found a tiny, tiny turtle -- must have been one of the new hatchlings. Evey was overjoyed!
He was so tiny, he fit in the palm of her hand!
She brought it in to show mommy, Ellie and Paw-paw.  Ellie was happy to look at it while Evey held it.  LOL! They are such opposite little girls - but both incredibly dear!

Saturday was my slow stitching day. Todd and I took to the water for the day. He fished and I read, stitched, and fished. LOL!  My water days are a whole lot more versatile than his water days! :) So I've finished up the first quarter panel . . .
(I know it's a wrinkled mess -- sorry about that!) Hopefully today I can sneak in a minute or two to transfer some letters to the second quadrant, so I can stitch a little more through the week.

My stash went up a little because of the bloomers fabric . . .
And since I didn't actually *make* the bloomers yet, well, nothing went out. Hopefully next week I can happily report a debit to the stash!

Linking up today with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Be blessed in this day that the Lord hath made; rejoice and be glad in it!!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Charlene S said...

Sometimes you have to postpone sewing for more important things like turtles and toads.

Joy D said...

Well, it certainly looks like you had a fun filled week! Sounds like a great little get away, and fun with the grand little ones! Good luck on your slow stitching and hopefully a little "blooming" fun this week! Blessings!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful week you had. Know you'll enjoy some slow stitching today.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a perfect B & B to visit... sounds fabulous!
Enjoy your stitching today!

Kate said...

How funny that the last room was your first choice. Hope you get in some good stitching time this week.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Sounds like a nice B&B. Glad you found the room. My DD was in Huntsville this weekend visiting her BFF :-)

Libby in TN said...

Sounds like a wonderful B&B. Your comparison with the UK couple is so true! Family trumps sewing any day.

Rhonda said...

Sounds like a lovely week regardless of getting little stitching done. It's wonderful when plan B lodgings turn out to be better than plan A.

Dar said...

Oh what a lucky find to get the last room and such a perfect setting. The breakfast plate was a quilt block too!! At least it looked like one, but I couldn't tell you what the name of it is.lol Such cute little girls and the smallest one is brave to hold the turtle in her hands. Sounds like you had a fun trip and a good excuse for not much sewing time.

Janet O. said...

You really lucked out on the room! What are the chances?!?
Oh, my goodness, Evey with the turtle--so cute!!
Sounds like Saturday was your day to refill your plate.

Jeanne said...

What a wonderful B & B!

Needled Mom said...

The B& B sounds wonderful! What fun that would be.

That is a tiny turtle in that little hand. Very sweet.

Béa said...

I'm particularly in love with the framed old blocks !

Mary said...

That was the perfect room for you to stay in. The heart shaped waffles- very cute. Were they chocolate? The girls are adorable. Love that they are different.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Clearly you were blessed with that room / who says that God doesn't have a sense of humor or like the element of surprise !! :)

Sarah said...

Me thinks it was fate for you to get the "last" room. I adore framed quilt blocks - I would definitely consider doing that over my bed...