Sunday, November 18, 2018

holiday and hexie prep . . .

So, after all the Pick a Pumpkin posts, this was a relatively downright quiet week! At least on the blog.  Nothing doing in real life!

Thursday I spent the day with the girls. It was snowing (?!?!?) when I left the camp, and still flurrying forty minutes later when I arrived at their house, on the other side of the county. And very cold.  So much so that Jason turned on the fireplace! The older girls had asked me to bring three things:  gum, watermelon, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.  So like any obliging, decent, loving grandmother, I did. Of course I did! And I brought the makings for Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies, too!
The day was the perfect Christmas prequel.  We sat in front of the fireplace (most of us in our jammies), eating Christmas cookies, watching Christmas movies, while snow flurried intermittently from grey skies outside.  Yes, the perfect day.

Today it's sunny and in the 60's.  There's no figuring weather in North Alabama!

BUT ... I've made amazing (in *my* mind) progress on my Mod Flower Fall (the name I've finally settled on) project! Look at how few stacks of hexies I have left!
Look at how many hexie flowers I've finished!
My sheet is still working for me.  I cross off the flowers as I whip them together.  Out of the 45 I needed, I've done 24.
Only 21 more to go and I can start whipping the flowers together! I hope to zip out at least another five before the evening ends.

The rest of the week will be focused on Thanksgiving prep.  We purchased our turkey, so he's thawing and I did the rest of the grocery shopping today.  There will be a modest ten of us, but if the forecast holds true, we'll host it at the Camp!  Tonight I'll prep stuffing, tomorrow and Tuesday I'll bake pies, and Wednesday I'll peel/cut/chop things and leave them in water.  Thursday should be a relatively easy day ... how about you?

I'm linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy's Quilts and hopefully I'll link up to sarah did it! and her HeLP post!

Happy Sunday!

:)

11 expressed . . .:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

only four of us for Thanksgiving so not a lot of work - although we always end up cooking enough to last us for days! my daughter that lives near us and her great niece and I started a Xmas cookie baking day tradition about 3 or 4 years ago and we will do that sometime in early December. Looks like you are having fun - good work on all those hexies too

Created by Kathi said...

So nice to read about your prequel Christmas time enjoyment... just me and my honey for Thanksgiving.. unless someone shows up that needs a meal then we will have more! Love your hexis and how they are coming together :)
We are planning a ham and green beans and hoping to find some sage dressing we can buy as neither of us cook that and my honey really wants it! lol We will also have mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fried okra, yeast rolls and for dessert an apple pie... maybe the pie will be dinner and all this other will be lunch! We are usually slim eaters so we will see how this works out for us! lol
Enjoy putting your flowers together when you get to that point and have such a blessed Thanksgiving... glad I stopped in for a visit :D Kathi

Pamela said...

What fun to make cookies with your granddaughters! Your hexagon flowers are looking great! What size are they? What size will your finished project be? I really like it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Baking cookies with grands - how fun. Of, course eating some together is more fun. I love that hexi quilt pattern! Enjoy your Thanksgiving with family.

Kate said...

Looks like a fun day of baking and hanging out. Your hexies look so neat. Hope you got in all the stitching time you had hoped for today. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

AnnieO said...

Look how big they are getting, so cute! I had some snow fall on me in Denver changing planes last week--otherwise it has been nothing but heat and fire in SoCalif. Your hexie project looks terrific.

Kim said...

Those hexies are delightful. Love the quilt pattern you are stitching. How sweet your grands are and how fun to bake with them. They will have beautiful memories of special times spent with you.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Awesome hexies and what a fun day with your grands! We have a cookie baking day in December after school ends for the holidays. Last year I made them embroidered little chef hats and aprons with their names and they were so stinkin' cute!! We had a ball. Good memories. We will be keeping them Thursday night while their parents go shopping and they asked for hamburgers and we'll get out the little red campfire and make s'mores - our Thanksgiving tradition since they have lunch with my SIL's family! Happy Thanksgiving Denise!

Oh, yes, you are right about our Alabama weather. If you don't like it, wait 30 minutes - it'll change! LOL

Janet O. said...

What a happy Christmas prequel! You are the best grandma!
I am glad your hexie chart is helping you. I break out in hives each time I look at it, but I get over it quickly by reminding myself it is you, not me, that is making those.
Joking aside, I think it is such a clever design, and the flowers are so bright and happy. It will be beautiful!!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like a perfect way to ready for Christmas. The cookie helpers are so sweet. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Sarah said...

My family hasn't decided Thanksgiving plans yet - not sure why as the holiday comes around pretty regularly. I'm sure you'll have fun eating at the camp. We will be snuggled inside as we are looking at a high of 18F! It looks like you had a good time with the girls. BTW - did you bring watermelon? You are cruising right along with your rosettes. You'll be stitching them together in no time!