Friday, March 04, 2011

a bright spot . . .

It's been a really tough week and a half. Almost surreal. But through all the tears and hurt, there have been some tender moments, some genuine laughter, and some bright spots. I want to take some time and space today to share one of those bright spots.

When Jocelyn first shared the news with me, one of the things she mentioned was pictures. Immediately my thoughts went to the daughter of a dear friend of mine, who is a photographer for an incredible ministry, Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. This wonderful ministry specializes in remembrance photography. In fact, let me share with you their mission statement:


One of the first calls I made was to the photographer, I'll call her ME, who I knew was affiliated with NILMDTS. I can't tell you how incredibly blessed we were by her. She immediately made arrangements for her own family, and headed to the hospital to be with us. When we realized that it was going to be some time before we were ready for her, she made arrangements with the charge nurse to be contacted.

ME was the first one to the hospital the next morning, at the call of the charge nurse, and waited with us, as she prayed for us. And when the time came, she went into action and was wonderful. She knew what to do, and how to do it, and even exactly what to say. She spoke softly and even talked to Everett as she posed him. It was truly phenomenal to watch ME in action, and there was no doubt that God has truly gifted her for this calling.

Even more phenomenal is a sneak peak of some of her work . . .

This was a tender moment. Isn't he precious?

As the pastor said at Everett's funeral on Tuesday, Everett is with Jesus; and he's smiling, laughing, and free from pain--not just physical pain, but free from the pain of sin.

Still, my heart misses him so. Soon and very soon, though . . . hallelujah.

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Alyse said...

What a beautiful little angel! NILMDTS is such an incredible organization. They are truly a blessing for every family they help. I am still praying for you all.

Kristie @ Me and My House said...

Thank you so much for sharing sweet Everett with us. Still praying!

Pat said...

Oh, Denise...I am crying as I look at the photos of your beautiful little grandson. NILMDTS is an incredible ministry and such a gift to the families who were given such a brief time with their precious little one. I thank you for sharing these photos with us. I will continue praying as I know the pain must be immense......

Robyn said...

Thank you for sharing how beautiful he is with us. Please know that my heart is with you all at this time.

Gmama Jane said...

You and Jocelyn have such a testimony of Grace that it is almost difficult to comprehend such grace in a time of such intense grief. I am so pleased that ME could be there for your family and do what she does best! I've never been prouder! We raised two awesome young ladies, Denise! God has richly blessed us. Little Everett looks so at peace and these pictures will be a source of comfort for you.
Love
Jane

Tina Wright Photography said...

One of my prayers as I found out the news that day was that Jocelyn would have the courage to contact ME. I have researched the Ministry of NILMDTS in recent months and I know how gifted ME is. Denise, the pictures are just breathtaking and I just smile as I look at darling Baby Everett, and I ponder your words again, knowing he is having playtime and worship time with Jesus, as he's waiting on Mommy & Daddy and the rest of his family (and friends!) to join him there! :) ... What timeless and tender Moments Stopped in Time, that the family will always have, as you can look at his precious face and be reminded that he & Jesus are smiling together...

Bless you sweet friend for sharing your darling grandson with your friends. Hugs to you and your precious daughter & son-in-law too!

Much love & continued prayers alongside,
Tina :) ...

Asiyah said...

One of my good friends volunteers with NILMDTS. It is a wonderful organization and - you're right - those folks definitely have a calling for this work.

The pictures are so beautiful they almost look like a painting. What a dear, sweet boy.

Rest well, little Everett.

Paula and Mel said...

As I read your blog and saw the pictures I am sobbing. The pictures are beautiful and precious.
I commend your strength as I am sure this is so very difficult.
The lord is guiding you.
Hugs

Diana said...

You don't know me but I wanted to share with you how special these pictures are. I lived through this exact event 24 yrs ago and the only picture I have is one blurry Polaroid picture the hospital took. It is my only picture of my first born and only son. I wish I had had this available to me. It will be more of a blessing as time goes on. The hurt never leaves and is fresh even today as I relive that day in my mind. I pray for your daughter, her husband and your family. Time will make it easier but the heartache will never be gone entirely. My blessings to you and yours.

Cathy said...

Beautiful Pictures, of a beautiful boy. What a wonderful ministry that is. I don't know if we have anything like it here. What a blessing to be able to have those pictures.

Sarah said...

oh Denise - I am so sorry for what your family has been through recently. I am sure these photos will be treasured.

Mary A. said...

God bless you & your family for all you've struggled with. baby Everett is indeed a blessing -- the photos are priceless.

Love, Mary -- Laura's friend from CC

Sweet Baby James said...

Thank you so much Denise for calling me and giving me the honor of capturing the love your family has for sweet Everett. NILMDTS is truly a call I feel deep in my soul. At times it is a heavy burrden when I am offering services for loved ones but I am honored to be able to provide more than words. Everett beautiful face will always hold a place in my heart and the love in that room for him will stay with me forever.