Monday, April 29, 2013

paducah memories . . .

Oh. My. Goodness.

Yes, that means I had a most excellent time in Paducah! I was able to check off a couple of items from my quilting bucket list, too:

√ 1.  Go to Paducah and the AQS show! 

√ 2.  Visit the National Quilt Museum!

√ 3.  Meet and have picture taken with QUILT MAN!!!!!!
This made my everlovingquiltingday.  No lie!  Do you see my face?  I'm giggling like a school girl.  :)

For those of you not aware, Quilt Man, and his trusty sidekick, Bobbin Boy, are very familiar masked faces in Paducah.  This article explains it terrifically:
And of course, his real [first] name is Fowler ... which endeared him to me immediately! Not only is it my maiden name, but it's also the first name of my youngest nephew!  Plus, Quilt Man...errr, Fowler...went to Ole Miss ... he graduated sometime between me being there and my youngest sister being there. We've got history together!  Seriously, Fowler Black is a genuinely charming and nice guy and really shows his passion for his hometown when he morphs into Quilt Man for the Paducah show.  And you can check out Quilt Man for your very own self on Facebook and Twitter!

In case you're wondering, I did manage to see a bit of the show, too, while I was there.  LOL!  The quilts were simply amazing.  I took lots of pics, but the rules say no posting on the internet, so I won't.  But talk about inspiration ... WOW!  A lot (a lot a lot) of art quilts -- thread painting seemed to be a biggie this year.  I was drawn (as per usual) to the Baltimore Album style quilts.  And the miniatures! Whoa!  

Have I mentioned vendors yet?  Aye-yi-yi were there VENDORS!  I dropped a little money here and there (which quickly adds up to a lot, everywhere) through the day.  Wanna see my haul?!?!  (Of course you do!) My first purchases were from the Paper Pieces booth:
Gracious.  Who gave me this voracious appetite for all things English paper-pieced, Sarah??!

I fell in love with the over-dyed work of Wendy Richardson (qustudio.com) and purchased a couple of things from her.  All this time I was erroneously thinking that over-dyed meant over-applying the dye.  After visiting Wendy's booth and chatting with her, I came to realize it meant dying over an existing print.  I fell in love with colors in this piece (which came home with me):
front
back
Intrigued by the dyed over part, I looked up the original fabric.  Here's what it looked like before dying:
"Grapes" Autumn Medley by Martha Negley for Rowan Fibers.  The difference is incredible, right?!?  I also came home with this sweet little doily:
Is this not totally me? Yup.

And some other bits and pieces I picked up along the way . . . 
Quilted teapot notecards ... perfectly me... and mini yo-yo ornament kits!
five rotary blades for $20 and a cute little scissor fob
obligatory quilt show pin!
obligatory tee-shirt -- in lavender, I'm oh-so-happy to report!

I came across this vendor who had a spread of metallic fat quarters.  Luckily it was towards the end of the day, so I was already well into my spending (otherwise I'd have dropped my entire savings right there).  
Cindy of Custom Creations (no online presence that I could find--boo!) . . . 
I found a rather nice sampling!  Aren't they pretty???  And prettily packaged, too!  *quiltygirlsigh*

The bus also took us for a brief foray into the world of Hancock's of Paducah.  
Like I could go to Paducah and not buy something in Hancock's of Paducah!
Kona Solids at $3.98/yard  :)
for my little hexie templates?!
I've loved this Robert Kaufman print for forever!  :)
Not a WHOLE whole lot, but enough to make me feel I'd done my part.  
Of course, any number of the women in that cavernous store were purchasing enough to do the parts of our whole bus load of women, but who am I to judge, right??!!

Overall, I added very little (I mean, after you consider where I'd spent the day) to my stash . . . 

Used/donated this month: 0.0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 12.75 yards
Purchased/added this month: 5.25 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 47.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -35 yards

I've done worse ... I almost feel a little silly that it wasn't more!!  

And finally . . . I have to share with you my fifteen minutes of Paducah fame:
Yes, I not only got to meet Quilt Man and have my picture taken with him, but he branded me (reporter's words, not mine) and I made The Paducah Sun, Sunday edition!  I was totally giddy. And yup, I'm still gushing, fer sure.  Happy memories were *definitely* made in Paducah!!!

:)

23 left a comment . . .:

Shelly said...

You can't go to Paducah and NOT have a good time! Glad you had so much fun! Maybe I saw you there and didn't even realize it . . . hmmm . . .

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Paducah is most definitely the ultimate quilters experience. So glad you had such a wonderful time.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You have a lovely array of purchases and the smile on your face tells it all!

Mary said...

Loved seeing Paducah through your eyes. You will have such fun with the EPP templates. Hope you have time to share what you make with them.

Doniene said...

Awesome, girlfriend!!! So glad Paducah was MORE than you could have hoped for!! What a great time for you and all who read this post!!

Blessings

Missy Shay said...

What a lot of fun! I've never been to a big quilt show like that!

Kris said...

Oh, my gosh, did you ever have a ton of fun!! I almost felt like I was there with you!! And to be branded by Quiltman!! You'll be on cloud 9 for months!! Thank you so much for sharing with us!! You look absolutely wonderful - and giddy too!! :-))

Barbara said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. One of these years....I'm going.

Lee D said...

OMG it sounds like you had a wonderful time. thanks for sharing your adventure, your smile says it all!!!

Paula said...

I diffently have get to Paducah. Glad you had a wonderful time. You made some wonderful purchases.
We have a shop hop going this week. So Thursday I am heading out for the day. It will also include a stop at Nancy's Notions for the big spring sale.
Have a great week.

Lee said...

Oh what fun, and what great memories you'll have...along with your souvenirs (photo in the paper even!). Very happy for you.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful time! Thanks for 'taking me along'. ;-) Have a happy week!

Jean(ie) said...

I love seeing that HUGE smile on your face! That says it all! I bet it was difficult to sleep after that day. WOW!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Wow! You're famous! Hey, those little paper pieces you got??? they are made about 45 minutes from me.

Quilt Hollow said...

OMG! Love that you went, had a blast and made your mark!

Janet O. said...

Denise, I am THRILLED for you! I don't know where to start, there is so much fun here. But to meet Quilt Man AND Bobbin Boy AND be in the paper--woman, you have arrived!!! : )
Amazing control on the purchases, too.
Seriously, I think I can sense the aura around you from this experience.

Sheila said...

Awesome!

Sarah said...

And now that you are famous I can say I knew you back when!! Glad you had a great time. The doily looks tatted - is it? I like the concept of dying a doily and those overdyed fabrics are fabulous!

Melissa Labella said...

Now I'm really jealous I didn't get to make the trip!

Teresa in Music City said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time on your first trip to Paducah!!! Of course, it would have been more fun if I had been there and we could've met up :*D I hear the Knoxville AQS has been moved to Chattanooga for next year. A lot of us are already talking about going - maybe we can meet up there. Love all the pretties you brought home - especially the over-dyed piece - YUM!!!

Kate said...

I love the newspaper picture! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh my gosh girl...I knew you when!! LOL
Didn't know you were famous now!
What a great time...thanks for sharing the details of your trip!

AnnieO said...

What fun! Glad you made the most of every moment, and especially those 15 minutes of fame :)