Tuesday, May 07, 2013

book review: the honest toddler


Oh. My. Gosh.

Your next read should be The Honest Toddler:  A Child's Guide to Parenting written under the supervision of Bunmmi Laditan. It's newly released today and you should run, not walk, to the nearest bookstore (or to your computer) and purchase a copy for yourself.  This book is the end all, be all authority of raising toddlers. Straight from the horse's toddler's mouth!

If you're the parent of a toddler (or soon to be toddler), you need this book -- it will become your favorite "raising toddler" manual -- you'll need no other.

If you're the grandparent of a toddler, you'll appreciate the total truth of its pages. What's that old saying?  Toddlers and grandmas get along so fabulously because they share a common enemy . . . !

If you're thinking about having children -- it will be a good way to prepare yourself for the selfless, all-consuming job of being a parent to a toddler.

Truly, this was the funniest read I've enjoyed in a long time.  In fact, my husband banned me from reading it in bed at night -- because I'd wake him up from laughing out loud.  I'd get to giggling over some truth revealed :
There's even more good news.  Selective acknowledgement has a partner skill known as hyperawareness.  I can hear someone open a bag of chips through seven solid brick walls in the middle of a thunderstorm while sleeping.  Please hold your applause.
or
Everybody lies.  Toddlers just don't apologize for it.  When you think about it, a lie is the truth with a funny hat on.  The next time your toddler lies to your face, giggle and smile.  Share a few hugs and know that you probably just asked the wrong question.  The number one reason toddlers spin reality is to avoid trouble.  When you ask questions like, "Laura, did you put your poo in the fireplace?," what do you expect to happen?  We both know Laura did it and that you've already judged her for it. What does she have to lose by fabricating a tall tale?
Is that not gold?! I'd start giggling and that would turn into full on laughter and the bed would shake and hubby would get a little put out. But seriously, this is a terrific read and totally truthful (from your toddler's point of view). As the Neesey (aka grandma) of two toddlers, it was priceless to see my precious little grandtoddlers thoughts and emotions so perfectly depicted.  Why do parents make it so tough on everyone?

Great read -- I'd give it two thumbs up, five stars, and ten bags of popcorn (if it were a movie).  And after you've sat down with a big cup of red drink, fruit rollups, goldfish and read the book, then subscribe to the blog (which started the sensation) and follow Honest Toddler on Facebook and Twitter, too!  In fact -- go right now to the blog and read Footprints in the Sand.  You'll understand.  If I haven't convinced you to read the book, this post sure will!

And remember:  "The truth will set you free."  But so will taking off your pants.

:)

Disclaimer:  I was provided an electronic copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

6 noted . . .:

Sarah said...

So I'm thinking, maybe, you kinda like the book?! LOL! Maybe Todd wouldn't be pouty if you let him read the book...

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great review! I've been over to the website already.
I had to laugh at the piece about super hearing. My ASD 4 year old is non verbal and I've lost count of the number if people who've asked if we've had his hearing tested. He really can hear a packet of biscuits being opened at the other end of the house!
He can also spot a brown raisin on a brown patterned carpet at 20 paces, so there's nothing wrong with his sight either!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I went and had some chuckles and sent the website to my daughter - our parenting skills are different - as well as mine from my mother's. The addage - PayBack is a Bitch!!

Lee said...

I had to check out her blog too, great sense of humor and writing ability. I shared with my daughter, but she already knew about this person via facebook. Thanks for the review....and the chuckles.

Jean(ie) said...

I'll have to check this out. It's been years since I've dealt with a toddler, and never having been a parent in the traditional sense it would help me understand my grandbaby.

Rhonda said...

OMG, I need to buy this book for my son and daughter-in-law. "Because I said so" is not working for them. This would definitely be a great read. Thanks for the review!!