Monday, May 13, 2013

kickin' off the month . . .

Just thought I'd check in and touch base!!  I've been doing a lot of reading, so I'll have several book reviews to post in the next week or so, but I've also been able to satisfy my creative side, too.

We started off the month of May with a retirement party . . . 
Yup.  It's a done deal with no turning back!  Luckily, retired life is suiting Todd very nicely.  Later in the month we're traveling to Maryland for some NAMB training.  Isn't it a happy coincidence that the training takes place thirty minutes from my parent's home??!!  

I've continued to work on the wedding quilt.  I'm *bound* (har har har) and determined to have it finished before Joc's anniversary (her fourth!) at the end of June.  But I can't work on that cumbersome thing *all* the time, so I got out my new apple core English paper pieces and started playing around with those...
In no time at all, I had a nice sized little Christmas topper.  All that's left to do is to whip them together!

I've also been dabbling in granddaughter clothes, which is very rewarding!!  Kim had given me some material (waaaay back in THIS post) and finally I got things together.  First was this outfit:
Isn't it cute??  Ellie was kind enough to model it for us before June got there.
Of course, that it was so perfectly darling on Ellie should have been my clue that it would be just a tad (seriously, just a tad) big on June.  A few modifications and it's good to go!

And next was a beach outfit for June!
She decided to do her own modeling for this outfit - and as you can see, I worked out the sizing! She was jumping up and down when I tried to take a picture of the ruffled rump (my favorite) so I'll substitute a still life pic:
Isn't it darling?  Can't wait for the next "order"!

I also had a couple of wins ... but only one has come in, so that's what I'll share. I won not one . . .
But THREE sweet little patterns from Snuggles Quilts during the most recent 100 Blocks blog tour.  
I really love the table runner patterns in particular (the pattern in the middle).  Deanne has lots of really cute things on her site and it's very much worth clicking over!

And finally, the whole 100 Blocks tour got me thinking about what I'd create if *I* were making a block.  So I twisted my own arm and sat down at EQ (yeah ... it was a real tough sell).  Stars have really been speaking to me lately, so that's what I dabbled in.  I settled on this one . . .
I've got the templates cut out and I'll put it together and see how it works!!

Heading back out for now ... the wedding quilt is calling my name ... as is all the pre-coursework I've got to get finished before our class!

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Missy Shay said...

What cute little outfits! I'm so glad you'll get to visit your parents!

Barbara F. said...

You have been a busy bee, D! The grandgirls are so adorable, and with their grandma custom designed clothes, well, they are even more darling! xo

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ah, little twirly girls!! Love the apple core, something I want to try. Super pattern win, too.

Jean(ie) said...

The kids look adorable in their outfits! I just got EQ. Love it!

Janet O. said...

Just whip those little apple cores together in no time, Denise (yeah, right!).
Such cute little models--oh, the clothing is cute, too, girl.
Of course you had some wins--you ALWAYS have wins, don't you?
Fancy looking block you came up with, and I'm happy to see purple in it.
Boy, I just read back through my comment and I mostly sound sarcastic. Sorry. : )

Mary said...

Love the cute baby Girl Clothes. Glad that Todd is enjoying retirement. Have fun -so close to your parents is a great thing. Congrats on the WINS. I got my winnings recently too. Hope I see your Block in a future issue of the 100 Blocks!

Janarama said...

I love your apple cores. Are they paper pieced?

Barbara Stanbro said...

What cute little outfits for your granddaughters. Sigh.

Melissa Bishop said...

You are SO talented! I love the English apple core piece. Elli and June look so cute in their outfits. I'm glad, Todd is adjusting so well and not feeling lost or left out.
God bless!

Linda in Calif. said...

I really like the apple cores quilt - it's super cute. I don't know which are cuter the kids or the clothes. Just adorable! Happy retirement!

Teresa in Music City said...

Those apple cores are too adorable!!! And speaking of ADORABLE!!! Those little babies look amazingly cute in their new Neesey-made outfits!!!! Way to go girl :*)

Kate said...

Love the little girl outfits, very cute (as are the models). Love your apple cores. Have fun with all your stitching plans.

Lyndsey said...

Such cute little outfits. Perhaps some time in the future I'll have a granddaughter to sew for.

Cathy said...

Hi Denise,
Everything is lovely...and congrats on Todd's retirement!!! How exciting!
Your grandbabies are so precious~ Squeeze them and hold them as much as you can...they will grow so fast~ ♥♥♥

Madame Samm said...

gorgeous outfits for your wee one....my goodness she is cute