Friday, May 17, 2013

my new obsession . . .

Gracious.  As if I needed a new obsession on top of those I've already got, right? Right.  There's no *help* for me . . . 

Or is there??!!!!

I'm talking about English paper piecing, which I absolutely adore!!
I've finished up my apple core columns and am now ready to stitch those together.  I'm hoping they go together as smoothly as the 9 columns went.  I numbered them (and marked them with an ↑) so I ensure I'd be able to easily figure out which one was first, last, and how they went in-between!

I was having so much fun EPP'ing those, that I decided to take my original design and put it together that way, too.
I've got the center done and have the pieces cut for the balance.  I decided to leave the outside edges of the yellow and orange pieces un-stitched, so that I can trim them to a 1/4" and stitch them to the purple fabric I want to use to set the block on point.  We'll see how that works.  Linking up my EPP projects to the HeLP linky party over at Sarah Did It!

In other news, we had a fabulous guild meeting last night.  Our guest speaker was Shelly Zeggart, of Why Quilts Matter fame.  Her program was wonderful, and we got to watch one of the episodes of the documentary.  If you've not heard of this program, you really need to check out the trailer for it:
My friend Melissa (of I am Beautiful Bee) and I went in together and purchased the DVD set.  I can't wait to watch the whole thing!

Another perk from last night?  My darling friend Jane gifted me with a pattern for a pinwheel wreath.
She'd made one last year and I fell in love with it -- you can see hers HERE;  it's about halfway through the post.  Isn't it DARLING!?  And wasn't that sweet of Jane to remember how much I liked it?  I also came away with a tidy little bundle of fabrics and some romantic stencils.
My cup (aka my fabric bin) overfloweth!  That will put a little spike in my stash reporting (and my fabric obsession) ... but I'll wait until we return from Maryland -- just in case I happen to acquire some fabric while I'm gone.  Who knows, right?!

I found a REALLY CUTE youtube tutorial for making origami dresses.  As soon as I saw the finished product, I thought it would make the *perfect* place card for a little girl's tea party!  So of course, I tried my hand at it, because I also have an obsession for all things tea!
They got better/easier as I got them done.  I made one and figured out where I'd put the name -- then I was able to run the paper through the printer and cut out my squares.  The tutorial can be found HERE.  For these particular dresses, my paper was 4.5" by 3.5".

And let's wrap this post up with an *old* obsession of mine . . . 
CHOCOLATE!  I had just enough ingredients to make a batch of my favorite fudgie One Bowl Brownies and frost them with ganache!  Doesn't get much better than that, does it?

Cheerio!

:)

12 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Ah, she is still having fun - those little dresses are adorable and how cute they will be on a tea table!

Sarah said...

The trailer is fascinating - I wonder if I can get my library to order the series? Gorgeous wreath - I know you'll get right on that!And those hexies - I won't be any HeLP to you and you know why! bwahahahahaha

Melissa Bishop said...

a sensory delight! I miss eating brownies (food allergies). The dresses would be perfect for an afternoon princess tea for little girls. Looks like you are having a good time!

Doniene said...

I've never EPP, but your projects are just so lovely!!! I always enjoy your posts - so many interesting little tidbits you share!! And the brownies - I'll jump right in the photo and take a big ole bite!!

Blessings

Janet O. said...

You really did whip those things together. When you run out of things to paper piece you will find my 15 year old project on your doorstep! : )
Your are just so clever and crafty, Denise--what CAN'T you do?
Ah, brownies--is there ice cream to go with those?

Cathy said...

You have been busy! I see you do love paper piecing and you are doing a great job! I've not done that before. Your video is very exciting. I would like to watch more quilt history~ ♥♥♥

sophie said...

English Paper Piecing is SOOOO ADDICTIVE. I just finished all the piecing for a small project ... and I'm already thinking about the next one.

The origami dress place cards are PRECIOUS!

Teresa in Music City said...

My goodness, those little dresses are simply TOO CUTE!!! And I love your EPP apples - they look as much fun as you say they are. That wreath looks interesting - I have to go check it out now. Glad you are having so much fun in retirement!!!!! Have fun in Maryland - my home state :*)

Cathy said...

That program looks very interesting. I'm leaving here to go check it out. Thanks for showing it.

Sherry Gareis said...

I am very jealous of your life.... LOL! SO much fun!

Kate said...

Love the little dress place markers, so very cute!

Barbara F. said...

Hey Denise, how is it going? Great, I hope. Those origami dresses are so cute, make cute invites or place cards. hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. xo