Sunday, June 23, 2013

nothing but the f*a*c*t* . . .

What a BUSY week we just wrapped up!!  Our church had VBS last week, but we had it out in a residential community . . . with a humongous tent and canopies and WOW!  It was work, but it was SO incredibly worth it!  We had 24 children ... out of whom 6 accepted Christ!  What a joyous celebration!  I taught 4-5 grade (which actually became 4-7 grade) and fell in love with some really terrific kids ... kids we wouldn't have met or ministered to if we'd had VBS in the church building. 

In addition to VBS, we also had World Changers going on.  We had a team of eleven (nine youths and two crew chiefs) from two different churches -- one in Columbia, TN and one in Franklin, NC.  They were a huge help to us since a lot of our regular members work during the morning hours and weren't able to help with VBS.  After VBS finished up each day, we'd head back to the church where lunch was served and then we had different projects for the World Changer crew to work on.  They left each day at 4 p.m. and then we'd head back to the community and do a movie night or hold service or a family night in the big tent. Lots of early mornings and late nights.  Plus Sawyer was with me each day -- he thoroughly enjoyed his week of VBS!

In other words . . . WHEW!!

And do you know, I don't have a single picture?  One of our youth was our designated photographer -- and she did take some phenomenal pictures -- but I have not the first one.  LOL!  I guess I was busy, huh??!

In addition to all that, we had lots of family stuff going on . . . the kind of stuff the devil throws out at you when you're bringing God glory and making a difference for the Kingdom.  But God is faithful and He certainly provided for all our needs this week!

On a quilty note (and with pictures!), on Thursday night I took off my VBS hat and put on my guild hat!  Our program that night was an applique round robin . . .
And yes, that's *me* down there demoing a form of faux applique, aka crayon tinting (f*a*c*t*)!

I didn't get any pics at the meeting that night, but luckily our 1st VP did and shared some with me.  This is me at my station about halfway through the night.
Do I look frazzled, much?

My friend and head of our Stitcher's Group, Kari:
She demoed raw edge machine applique (she doesn't look frazzled the least little bit!).

And Barbara--of My Joyful Journey--was our program coordinator:
She demoed turned edge machine applique (and also shows no signs of frazzling!).

Here are a couple of my sample pieces . . . 
I really enjoyed the evening, though I wish I could have visited the other stations, too.  There's a reason I did 'faux' applique.  LOL!!

I shared some useful info, too.  Like, you can buy white crayons in bulk:
Amazon.com, of course!

You can print designs on fabric using card stock and removable tape:
Which is good, because otherwise I'd have set this pretty little design aside, since my tracing stinks!

And putting your traced design in an embroidery hoop upside-down keeps your fabric taut while you color 
*and* provides a ridge for your hand to rest on, so you don't smudge you work!

This week holds a lot of catching up . . . laundry, housework, groceries, more laundry . . . you get the picture!  

:)

21 noted . . .:

Kate said...

Busy, but exciting week. Hope you get a little down time to recoup a bit. Love your faux applique pieces!

Momof3girls said...

What do you use white crayons for?

Doniene said...

Busy, busy but oh so fulfilling!!! Blessings to you and all the dedicated workers!! What a fun time at guild!! I would like to know how to print designs on fabric!! Sounds like something I would really like to do!!

Blessings

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Delightful post !!! Thank's for sharing your fun with us!!!

Hugs, Carolyn

Missy Shay said...

I'm going to try the crayons one of these days! I always love VBS!

Janet O. said...

My goodness, girl, you must have a secret source of energy! You don't look frazzled to me, but I completely understand why you would feel frazzled!
Nice job on the faux applique!

Barbara Stanbro said...

Oh, I like that coloring technique. Looks like you had fun, even if it was too busy.

Jeanie said...

Thanks for the applique tips and congratulations to the children at VBS! Sounds like such rewarding experiences....both VBS and your applique class.

Marsha Hodgkins said...

Wow! You must be looking forward to a quiet week of laundry and cleaning after that week. Glorious results from the week of hard work, though, and the rewards will continue coming.
Love the idea of the Applique Round Robin!
Enjoy your less hectic week.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My youngest son is helping with VBS this week. Ours is in the evening. He's doing one-on-one with an autistic child. He spent a whole week at Camp Barnabas working with special needs kids 2 summers ago. He was good at it. Your crayons remind me of coloring on pillowcases back in elementary school. We had to iron the crayon on. My mother had crayon on her ironing board for years. I still have that pillowcase.

Jean(ie) said...

Sounds like an awesome week! So excited about your ministry efforts. Sounds like y'all are really changing lives.

Bunny said...

Looks like you had a really fun time. Do you do machine embroidery using that hoop and coloured drawings?

Bunny

Glenda said...

Love love that wee owl Denise, we have another member on Esther's group who loves owls and I always enjoy seeing her latest ones. Looks like you had a fun week and learnt a lot as well. Cheers Glenda

Leslie Lambert said...

This is a genius idea! This would be great to link up to my Create It Thursday post...it's live now! www.lambertslately.com/2013/06/create-it-thursday-8-plus-features.html

Angel Allen said...

Hi Denise
I'm Angel from Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop. Thanks or sharing your post with us. Your photos are great. Beautiful work.

I'm your new follower via Bloglovin and GFC. Hope you will visit my blog and hopefully want to follow me also.
Angel @ sewcraftyangel

Katherines Corner said...

this is so terrific. Thank you for sharing at the hop I featured it on facebook too xo

apronstringsandothertiesthatbind said...

Hi Denise!

I'm just getting around to returning your visit to my blog. The last couple of days have been so busy! (Nothing to compare to yours though...no VBS here.)

Your blog is a delight to visit. One of these days I am going to get around to trying my hand at the crayon tinting technique. It looks so cool...and I always enjoyed coloring.

Your blog is a blessing.
Judy in MS

apronstringsandothertiesthatbind said...

Hi Denise!

I'm just getting around to returning your visit to my blog. The last couple of days have been so busy! (Nothing to compare to yours though...no VBS here.)

Your blog is a delight to visit. One of these days I am going to get around to trying my hand at the crayon tinting technique. It looks so cool...and I always enjoyed coloring.

Your blog is a blessing.
Judy in MS

apronstringsandothertiesthatbind said...

Hi Denise!

I'm just getting around to returning your visit to my blog. The last couple of days have been so busy! (Nothing to compare to yours though...no VBS here.)

Your blog is a delight to visit. One of these days I am going to get around to trying my hand at the crayon tinting technique. It looks so cool...and I always enjoyed coloring.

Your blog is a blessing.
Judy in MS

apronstringsandothertiesthatbind said...

I'm sorry about all the repeats, Denise. Blogger kept saying there was an open ID error...little did they know. :)

Paula said...

After all that excitement laundry and shopping will seem quite boring. LOL!
Thanks for applique tutorial. Do you set the colors with an iron and paper towels when you are done? A lady at one of my LQS said that is what she does. I haven't tried yet.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs