Sunday, June 09, 2013

under glass . . .

Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure/privilege of heading to Huntsville's Museum of Art to participate in our guild's "quilting demo day" in collaboration with a special exhibit the museum has in its gallery, as well as an exhibit of locally made quilts of our guild members.  It was quite fun.  Four of us brought some handwork and whiled the afternoon away stitching and chatting and answering questions about our respective pieces and quilting and the guild in general.  I had a productive afternoon.  I finished up quilting on one of the blocks from My Orange Crush . . . 
Marked and readied another of the blocks for hand-quilting . . .
And made great progress on basting the pieces for my Starburst block!
Enough so that I came home and finished it before bedtime.  Hurrah!  Next will be to whip the pieces together (they're currently taped to my mat) and then I'll machine stitch on the purple sashing, setting the block on point.  I'm very pleased with how it's turning out.

So, stitching-wise, it was a fabulous afternoon!  But the best benefit of demo-ing was the opportunity we had to get into the museum for free and check out the exhibits ... most particularly "Crazy Quilt" 1887 by Susan Keziah Hobbs Fennell Henderson (whew, imagine having to sign that!) . . . 
Isn't it absolutely gorgeous?  I hated that there was glass between the quilt and I because I *so* longed to touch and pet it!
A closeup of the borders here . . .
Oh my gosh, I could have spent hours looking at this quilt -- it must have taken her *years* to finish this!  There were tons of questions I'd have loved to have asked the quilter. I was blown away by the level of detail in each different block. Her seam treatments were just gorgeous.  Here are some closeups for you to drool over (good thing it *was* under glass):
Sweet little basket of embroidered flowers!
Required spider and spiderweb!  She used metallic silver thread for the web.
This is 1887!
There were LOTS of initials, including this "R" surrounded by sweet daisies!
I counted a total of four different fans stitched into the quilt.
There were also a number of different butterflies, but this was my favorite!
This embroidered spray of flowers was simply GORGEOUS!
Her ribbon work was exquisite.
The rooster, center, sits next to characters that look oriental.
Or perhaps hieroglyphics?  Or some secret code??!!!
The year, 1887, is embroidered in that same patch.
I really hope I have an opportunity to go back and look at this piece of art again. Every time I looked at it, something new caught my eye!  It was like the "I Spy" of crazy quilts!  Each of us who participated this afternoon received a lovely card, featuring the quilt.  I'll share a photo of the card, only because it's a great bird's eye view of the entire quilt center:
Yup, a good day.  Even if my favorite part of it remains under glass!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Jenny Watson said...

All of these quilts are looking fantastic thanks for the sharing and just keep up the good work.

http://www.invillas.com/luxury-villa-rentals-in-tuscany.html

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow - what an extraordinary day!!! Not only did you accomplish a great deal, but you were able to spend time with that amazing quilt! I so envy you - it looks as though it is a true treasure!!!

Barbara Stanbro said...

Fabulous! All of it.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a fun venture and then the added treat to the day - just gorgeous.

Kate said...

Wow, that is a gorgeous crazy quilt. As you say the detail is extraordinary! Looks like you got a lot done and had a good time doing it with friends.

Kaisievic said...

Thanks for sharing the Quilt museum with us.

Lee said...

Don't you wonder exactly where she started? And which piece was added next? And when was the stitching then added? The 'crazy' seems all-over, not individual blocks sewn together to make a whole. It's beautiful!

Janet O. said...

Beautiful blocks, Denise.
That quilt truly deserves the name "Crazy"! It is crazy the amount of effort and skill and stitches that went into it. With your recent foray into crazy quilting, I can see that this was a perfect day for you--did you finish it off with pheasant? I just thought from the title--never mind, I'll be quiet. : )

Jean(ie) said...

Wow. The handwork. And it's in good shape despite it's age. So often the silks are deteriorated because of the metal salts used in the making of the garment fabric back then.

I wonder what our quilts will look like 100 years into the future... something to ponder.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oh my! What a lovely crazy quilt! Such details. Good thing it's under glass, I'm drooling from here.

Shari said...

What a wonderful day to have been a part of, thanks for sharing. I will definitely come back and look more closely at the CQ. Kudos to you for sharing your love of the needlearts with the public that day....Hugs.

Jane in Wales said...

So beautiful! I wonder if the hieroglyphics and characters above them, were the find of 1887 at Amarna in Egypt, when correspondence between Pahraoh and the Hittite kings was found. it was both cuneiform and hieroglyphic script.
Just wondering..........
Old quilts are so amazing!

Bunny said...

This is truly a work of art, to think this is all done my hand. I have an embroidery machine that makes wonderful embroidery flowers. It is totally mind boggling to know theses quilters worked so hard and probably did not have the tools or lighting that we enjoy today. Thanks so much moor sharing theses photos. I wish I could be there to see in person but this is the next best thing. We are lucky to be able to see work for all around the world through the Internet. Bunny

sandi s said...

Thank you for sharing the quilt pictures. It is an amazing quilt. I live in Enterprise, AL. Have a great day!