Saturday, June 15, 2013

seventeen terrific years . . .

Yesterday Todd and I celebrated our seventeenth anniversary . . . 
It really has  been a great seventeen years and I'm so grateful for my husband -- he's the most godly, loving man a wife could hope to have!  

We've got a huge week (starting today) ahead, so we decided to set our anniversary day aside, turn off our phones, and hang out together.  You know a couple is good together when they enjoy long road trips with each other!  We headed out to Tim's Ford (Tennessee) and had lunch at a fun little place on the water . . .
The Blue Gill Grill.  The food is good, but what I especially like is the built-in dining companions:
How fun is that??!!  We sat on the outside corner of the dock and I had as much fun feeding the turtles, ducks, geese, and fish as I did eating!!
Isn't that a LOT of carp?  And they're HUGE!!  It was funny ... the fish obviously couldn't see to anticipate where food was going to come from, but the geese/ducks could.  So whenever the geese started to move in on someone who was tossing food over the side, the fish would swarm underneath them, hoping to grab a bite.  It made for some very *splashy* activity!

We tooled around the State Park and checked out different camping spots and RV setups (being a fulltime RVer, I'm always intrigued by what other seasoned RVers do) and then headed up to Tullahoma.  My trusty "Quilt Shops" app noted a quilt shop there I'd never been to, and since we were so close anyway . . .
Quilting Dreams! Yay! It was a cute shop with some fun projects on the walls . . .


I was tickled to find out they're going to be one of the vendors at our guild's quilt show in October!  And I was particularly taken by this piece (gee, I wonder why, Sarah?!?):
The ideas just started rolling through my head.  Guess what will be appearing on my blog for the next HeLP???!  Needless to say, my purchases included the paper templates for this project, as well as some other assorted goods and sundries!

The quilting templates are for My Orange Crush blocks.  And most of the fabric is flannel -- I really like backing my table toppers with flannel.  The shop had a GREAT selection of flannels, too!  They also had some of the new fall fabrics on display, like the Posh Pumpkins by Sandy Gervais.  I *love* this line!
Aren't they fun?  I would like to get a bigger charm pack of this to play with!  And let me just say -- a man who has no problem sitting in a quilt shop, on his anniversary, and foots the bill?  That man is a KEEPER!  (He was a keeper anyway, but gosh, what an indulgent, patient, generous hubby!!)

From the quilt shop, we headed west to Shelbyville.  We got there just in time to have an afternoon cup of coffee:
The Coffee Break is a relatively new shop, owned by two pastors.  One of the pastors did all the baking, and I have to say, his creations looked AMAZING! Todd got a strong Americano coffee and I got Nutella Latte (a mix of chocolate and hazelnut).  LOL!  :)

From there, we took the scenic route home, traveling back south through some of the most beautiful farm country set in lush, green rolling hills.  Very idyllic! When we got back into Alabama we headed to our favorite Chinese carry-out, ordered dinner, and brought it home for a picnic-on-the-mattress and a movie.
On a throw that is now officially our "picnic" blanket (thank you, Jocey!) because it's all green and flowery.  All-in-all, it was a fabulous day, a sweet way to mark seventeen years with my best friend and love.

Today, Lord help me, I'm headed to Point Mallard (a water park) with our youth group!  Yikes!  No telling what kind of stories I'll have to tell next time around!! (Talk about a splashy event, right?!) Wheeeee!  Should be a fun day!

:)

25 noted . . .:

Kate said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like you both had a wonderful day.

Needled Mom said...

Happy anniversary!! It sounds like a perfect day.

I love that hexie piece. That green quilt in the shop is stunning too.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Happy Anniversary sweetie!

Teresa in Music City said...

I absolutely love hearing the love in your "voice" as you "talk" about Todd and your relationship with him!!! I think when we can say we are that happy with our spouse, our lives are a success, don't you? Other things are so much less important, and they seem to work out when we have a loving partner to work through them all. I'm so happy for you and Todd - here's Hugs & Blessings for the next 17 years together!!!!

Janet O. said...

What a wonderful post, Denise! You had such a day of adventures and togetherness.
Next week we celebrate #35 and DH usually does take me to a quilt shop or two, while we explore some of his favorite haunts, as well, and end with a nice dinner. Keepers, for sure! : )

Janet O. said...

p.s. isn't Sarah making that very same hexie project?

Melissa Bishop said...

Happy anniversary! Love the quilt. I'm excited to see how yours will turn out. Hugs!

Ranch Wife said...

Happy Anniversary to you two young 'uns! Sounds like the perfect way to celebrate! Good food. Good company. A little fabric therapy. I love that Posh Pumpkin line too, and your little EPP pattern is darling. Here's toasting to the next 17...and many more after that!

Barbara B said...

Loved the trip--gave me ideas for a day trip with my sweetie. BUT the most important thing--I learned about the quilt shop app and immediately downloaded it--thanks!

Grammasheri said...

Such a sweet, loving day! Happy Anniversary!

Jean(ie) said...

You're making me homesick. The Bluegill Grill has the best burger and fries. Love that place!!!! We always try to make s stop there when we visit the kids. The fun part is feeding the fish tiny bits of French fries. Man, they gobble them up!

Sometime you have to check out the KOA in Manchester, The folks that run it are so nice. They have a great pool.

Lee said...

Happy Anniversary! :) Ours is today and the same # of years, how funny. Looks like you had a fun little bit of time away enjoying each other - blessings to you both.

Terry said...

Happy Anniversary, glad you had such a fun relaxing day with each other.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful photo of you two! Happy Anniversary indeed. My hubby and I are great traveling companions too--it is nice to spend time alone in the car with no other distractions like TV or computers :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Anniversary! Hubby's SIL was raised in Tullahoma. Her parents still live there.

Barbara F. said...

Sounds like a fabulous day. I love all the places you went to. And, of course, I love the fall fabrics I see ;-) Happy Anniversary to you and Todd. xo

Lee D said...

Happy anniversary to you both. Sounds like a perfect way to spend the day together. Wishing you many more happy years together!

c. Joy said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope your day was wonderful - (use sunscreen!). Congratulations to you & Todd.

Paula said...

What a lovely day. My husband is also very patient with taking me to quilt shops and quietly waiting for me. Although I usually am the pay for my treasures. LOL!
Happy Anniversary to you and your guy. Wishing you alot more days just enjoying one another

cyndiofthevortex said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your special day with us. I loved hearing about it. May you have many more blessed years together!

Zlaty said...

Happy Anniversarry! Wonderful way to celebrate!

Quilt shops are always fun!

Happy sewing! :)

Lyndsey said...

Happy Anniversary. It looks like you both had a fun day. My husband is also very good at quilt shop visits and will happily pay plus he also likes to pick up some FQ's to keep as little surprise gifts for me.

Doniene said...

Happy, happy belated anniversary!! My your were a gorgeous bride!!! Of course still a fabulously lovely lady inside and out!! What treasures you found!! What fun!!

Blessings

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Hi there, Happy anniversary!! darling picture of you two!!! You picked a winner :) Me too!!

Hugs, Carolyn

Sarah said...

Can't wait to see what fabrics you use in your twisted hexies! Go on...blame it all on me :) I can handle it!!