Sunday, April 12, 2015

catching up -- again . . .

Working forty hours in four days (not to mention the getting ready and commute times of a combined twelve hours) is pretty much kicking my tail!  Don't get me wrong . . . I do love my job.  I love the people that I'm working with and *especially* the association of churches I'm working for!  But it's a very . . . social . . . job and that means for this introvert (not extreme, but definitely more intro- than extro-, it's pretty much exhausting!!

It also makes the balance of my week . . . forty-five hours, give or take, pretty precious. Know what I mean?  With a husband I adore, children and grandchildren who I adore, and chores and church and quilting (those last three are not necessarily in order), I've got a LOT to pack in those three days I'm off!

You may or may not have noticed that blogging doesn't make it high on the list. Wink, wink.

BUT . . . I have had some good grandkid time . . .
And some good quilting time . . .
Finished putting the insides of Lil' Charmer together.  Went to put the 6" black borders on and realized I had no more black. I used it all of my yardage for the pineapple quilt!  Ugh.  I hate the thought of purchasing fabric (really?  has it come to that??!), but I hate *more* the thought of leaving it unfinished.  So . . . on my list for the coming week, purchase a half yard of black! I do know how I'm going to back it . . . 
At first I thought I was being silly, using this flannel pastel piece for the back of the brights.  But I really like that the colors are so similar.  It's a good pairing!

I got a pattern for a Valentine card . . . it was a fabric appliqued tea cup on card stock. I modified it for a mug rug . . .
Isn't that fun?  I wish I could tell you where to go to get the pattern for yourself. It's from © Quilter's Connection Magazine 2015, but I couldn't find it on their webpage or facebook page anywhere. The template is straightforward enough, though.  Or holler at me.

And finally, quilting-wise, I saw this darling little quilt from Karen's Quilts, Cardinals and Crows (with a full tutorial over on the Moda site) that I just absolutely love.  There are several 'twists' on the patterns, but this is the one of Karen's that just catches my eye every time:
And you know me . . . I had to put my own 'twist' on it.  So I made it smaller.  I had to mock it up in EQ to get my proportions correct, but then that's half the fun, for me!
Her HST's are 6.5" . . . mine are 1.875".  Teehee!  And I used solids . . . Fairy Frosts!
Now I'm working on the applique. Which will make for some Slow Sunday Stitching!

All in all, my stash report hasn't changed all that much, just enough for the little tea mug rug . . .
And know that there *will* be black yardage added next week!

Linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Y'all have a grand Sunday!

:)

14 noted . . .:

Charlene S said...

The pictures of your grandchildren are indeed charming. The mug rug is one I would love to do.

quiltpaintcreate said...

Cute grandkids. I like the applique quilt too.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a fun post! You certainly make the most of all your time! Enjoy your new project... even the 1.875" HSTs!!

Kate said...

Love the grandkid's Easter photos. Looks like they had a grand time.

Lil Charmer is gorgeous. I love all those bright colors.

Sounds like you've got a full plate. I'm there myself, hopefully for just a couple more weeks and then things will be back to normal.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh those grandchildren are adorable! I can see why they made it to the top of the list!

Kalicocreations said...

Sounds like you had a great time with your grandchildren! What a cute mug rug, I really like the polka dots. At least the black you add will be going back out into the cute little charmer quilt.
Terry

Janet O. said...

I'm tired just reading about your schedule!
What sweet, sweet photos of family time!
Your new project looks very fun. I would be disappointed if you didn't put your own twist on it! : )

The Cozy Quilter said...

I understand about the introvert not getting enough quiet time to recharge! Your grandchildren are adorable. Have fun in your little bits of stitching time!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I just LOVE your Lil' Charmer ... too cute wor words. And then I saw your version of Karen's quilt. Oh. my. stars. When I saw the original on her website, I fell in love ... but when I saw yours ... swoon! I can't wait to see it finished up.

Needled Mom said...

Those little ones are so cute.

I like the colors you are using for your mini charmers. It is beautiful.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Cute quilt top. I like the mug, rug, too. I'm not working 40 hours a week, but, I understand about not having enough hours, since I've been spending lots of hours on others lately, instead of my usual.

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your grandchildren are adorable!

I love the bright, happy colors in your Lil' Charmer quilt and in your version of Cardinals and Crows.

Scooquilt said...

You're still accomplishing a lot, even with all the working. You've done so well not buying fabric, but sometimes it has to happen to use the rest. Take care.

Ranch Wife said...

Woohee...now I'm exhausted. Girl, you are a wonder, but I know you make time for the things that matter and I know that spending time with those precious grandchildren is a joy. I know many people are being blessed through all that you do.