Monday, July 08, 2013

a stash flash . . .

I can't believe it's been well over two months since I last did a stash report.  Yikes!  Truthfully, the net amount won't have changed much, but I *do* want to keep track of what I'm taking in (and putting out, sorta), so here's an updated report: 

Used/donated this month: 6.5 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 19.25 yards
Purchased/added this month: 9.25 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 57.0 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -37.75 yards

Yup, only a 2.75 difference in my net.  On the other hand, this time last year I was up to -52.25 net yards used (having purchased/added 76 yards).  So overall, I'm doing better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) this year!  I'll be linking up to Judy Laquidara's stash report post at Patchwork Times and try to diligently remember to do so at least monthly!

Part of my yardage came from a FabShopHop win.  I got a nice little gift certificate from Shabby Fabrics and added a few of my own pennies to bring home a sweet little bundle . . .
Isn't that fabric gorgeous?  And two very darling patterns from Crabapple Hill. And wouldn't you know?  They include directions for crayon tinting!  Right *up* my alley. The brown pigma micron pens are what I use for tracing my designs.  She had them for the best price I've seen them!

And I won a book blogger gift certificate to Amazon and used that for some fun tools of the trade . . .
I'm interested in trying out the 'sticky fabri-solvy' on wool.  That's where I first saw it used.  And I just love the posh pumpkins line!  I'd gotten two mini-charms early last month and decided to go ahead and pick up a regular sized charm pack of it!

So far, today is the very first day we've NOT had rain since last Tuesday.  It was a very, very, VERY wet 4th of July weekend.  Some towns in our area got upwards of ten inches of rain over the four day weekend. Crazy.  Needless to say, the weather didn't lend itself to outdoor activities.  It lent itself to reading and sewing.  So that's what I did.  I was woefully behind in my Grandmother's Choice blocks, so I worked diligently on those.  
This is today's block.  It was Rocky Road to Kansas.  It was a rocky road, all right!
My thinking is that if I do a block a day from now until the end, I'll be able to easily catch up.  As I'm sewing them, I'm also entering them into EQ ... it really helps me to be able to *see* the colors I'm wanting to use in my blocks.  Then I had the bright idea to go ahead and draft up a quilt to put them into . . .
This is what I've got so far.  It's really fun to play with it this way!  And while I'm over there, I'll link up to Judy's Design Wall Monday, too!

I'm looking forward to Thursday evening.  Madison Station Quilters (another guild in our area) has Kathy Shaw coming out to do their program on Crazy Quilting. Kathy was my mentor in the CQ course I took through StitchMAP ... in fact, she wrote the curriculum for the course. So I'm going to venture out and hear her speak and meet her!  Yay!

Have a *great* week!!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Doniene said...

What lovely treasures you added!! That fabric is gorgeous!! I had won a little charm pack of the posh pumpkins - adorable!! I, too, have been catching up on my GC. As of right now, all are stitched and I just have to add them to the top. I've been assembling as I go - so yeah!! a GREAT feeling to be caught up!!

You can send some of that rain our way!

Blessings

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh so many lovelies. I think your putting those blocks into EQ is a great idea - and it looks so beautiful, too.

Kaisievic said...

Love your new fabbie and your blocks are gorgeous.

Janet O. said...

Lovely fabric and patterns!
I have a mini charm pack of Posh Pumpkins--love it!
Your Grandmother's Choice blocks are looking great. Really nice colors. A block a day? Good luck with that, my friend!! Not that I doubt your ability, I just no I wouldn't be able to keep up that pace. : )

Janet O. said...

Oops--I meant "know". : )

Jean(ie) said...

Fun goodies! There's a lady at the Tuesday sew days who does crayon work with her embroidery. Crabapple Hill patterns are cute.

Love those grandmother's choice block. your recent one looks like it would be a challenge for sure.

Have you checked out the store in Decherd? I follow them on FB. They have a fat quarter sale coming up.

Barbara B said...

Love your GC blocks! I've got last week's to do to be caught up. Think I'll go post mine so far!

Cathy said...

Oh it is so lovely to see a post from you. I miss them, and you. And I love the way you are keeping track of the blocks you have done in EQ. It will be so cool to see what our quilts look like using "our" fabric. So far, they look quite different, even using the same fabrics.

Sarah said...

Oh I bet you'll have a blast at the guild meeting - it's right up your alley along with all your winnings. Lucky Duck!

Angel Allen said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilting with us at our Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop.
Angel
Hope you will visit me again soon.

Katherines Corner said...

gorgeous blocks and fabrics my friend . Thank you for sharing at the hop . Hoping you have a great weekend xo

Shasta Matova said...

Those blocks are so pretty - great fabric selection!

Kate said...

Very fun additions to your stash, even if it's going the wrong way for now. That's it gone less the wrong way than last year is indeed progress. At least that's how I'm looking at my stash additions.

Mary said...

I like your fabric choices for your grandmother's choice. Putting the blocks into EQ sounds like a great idea. The alternated cornerstones give it a scrappy feel.