Wednesday, July 24, 2013

lagging behind . . .

And I'm not (purposefully) describing my posterior, either!  You know it's been a long time when you have to 'sign in' to blogger before you can post.  Aye yi yi!

July is flying by and I've been so happily busy!  Life is, for the very most part, good great! Since the last time I posted was July 8, there's just no way to do a single post that covers *everything* (even if I just limited it to the quilting part of my world), so perhaps I'll do a series of posts this week.  LOL! Listen to me!  ;)

I'll start back on the 11th of the month . . . I visited a local guild -- the Madison Station Quilters -- who had Kathy Shaw from Shawkl Designs as their guest speaker.  Kathy was my mentor through the crazy quilting course I took through StitchMAP, as well as the author of the curriculum.  Which means she's GOOD!  So when I heard she would be in town, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see her in person!

Would you believe, I neglected to get a picture of her and I? Or of her?!? Where was my head??! I did manage to get some pictures of her extraordinary work:
I was totally captivated by her 'tea' themed block, can you tell?!  Not surprisingly, because that's the block *I* want to do next for my own!

This stunningly embellished Elizabethan lady of royalty took over 400 hours to complete.  Just the lady herself.  WOW!

And she had loads of beautiful blocks that she's received in swaps, too.  
She commented at one point that she'd swapped out some of her best work! LOL!

I made a few purchases, too (I mean c'mon -- we want to support our speakers, right?!?):
I already had her book, but I picked up the sketch book and the monogram pattern set.  I brought her book with me so she could sign it!
And the sketch book is really a simple but genius idea ... it's filled with graph lines to just sketch out ideas -- embellishments, seam treatments, block layout, whatever!  
Having done that with my first cq block, I know what a help it is to do that!

As I left the meeting, I had a fun, totally random surprise.  
I know, I know ... you say, "A bench?  C'mon, Denise, you need to get out more!"  But I happened to have designed that bench with the "M" for Madison City monogram (when I worked in the ornamental iron business)!  I'd forgotten all about the fact that there were thirteen of them at Madison's City Hall (which is where the guild meets)!

I do have things blooming on my design wall . . .
This is an adaptation of a quilt pattern (Laura) that's up on Michelle's Romantic Tangle.  She's done an armful of different baby quilt patterns this year and I fell in love with Laura!  Yes, I made mine smaller.  It's what I do.

And things are blooming on the outside, too!  Isn't this Tiger Lilly pretty? 
It's the first time I've seen this plant up at our site (and we've been here three years); I guess I finally got enough of the weeds cleared away for it to have some breathing room!

And flowers aren't all that are blooming . . .
Sweet little baby!  Just snoozing away, not ten feet off the walking path.  Isn't he precious?!

And on that happy note, I'm outta here for now!

:)

15 noted . . .:

Melissa Bishop said...

Wow her work is amazing, It reminds me of those old Victorian greeting cards. Glad you're doing so well.

Barbara said...

Beautiful crazy quilt work. I really want to make one some day, but I feel I need the support of a class or a group. I keep looking. I thought you were going to say your quilt block looked like your lily. When I saw the two pictures side-by-side, I was thinking they look alike. And what a great stroke of Luck to see that little fawn I just love them when they have their spots. You have so many hidden talents. Who knew you were an iron worker? Good to hear from you.

Missy Shay said...

Wow, her work s amazing, and i agree with you on the tea block, I love it too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just lovely work to view. The doe have been bringing their wee ones with them to nibble the apple drops on their very early pass thru the property.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I saw where you and Teresa got to meet up. How much fun! Cool bench design.

Barbara F. said...

I was just getting ready to check in, I see you on FB, and here is your post! That woman is some sewer and quilter, wow!! Gorgeous work. Love the sleeping fawn. So precious. We need grand babies updates next. ;-) xo

Linda in Calif. said...

What a wonderful thing to have designed the bench - and now you get to see it when you go to guild and get to share with us. So cool!

I totally love her crazy quilting. So hard to believe she spent 400 hrs on one thing - although it looks exquisite! I bet she enjoyed every minute. Aww the deer is so precious!

Jean(ie) said...

Howdy stranger! That handwork is amazing. I just don't have the patience for that, but I sure appreciate those who do! WOW!

Nice bench! I bet it's cool to see your work out and about. It's nice to see it in a public venue, I bet.

That baby quilt you've got going is adorable! Love it!

Janet O. said...

So much delicious stuff here, Denise! Can't believe all of that embellishing! I would never have the patience, but it sure is beautiful.
Very cool about the bench design. You should autograph them all. : )
Love 9-patch and snowball blocks together. That is very pretty--and so are the nature shots. Bambi is adorable!

Katherines Corner said...

wow beautiful work. I love the tea pots! the photo of the little deer sleeping is precious. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

Kris said...

Great post, Denise and that teapot quilt is really you!! Sounds like life is good, er GREAT as it is here!! Good to hear from you!!

Mary said...

That's cool that your design is made and on display. You should take a picture sitting on the bench. Cool to meet your CQ mentor, too!

Kate said...

Wow, Ms. Shaw's blocks are awe inspiring. Just one more week left in July. I'm with you, how did that happen?

Rikki E. said...

Love the dress! New follower via gfc from Thursday Favortite Things Blog Hop! Would love to have you follow me back. http://unravelingends.blogspot.com

Love Bears All Things said...

Great to see a post from you....I've neglected blogging for a while now too but got back to it last week....
I love crazy quilts and even have one started...I"ll get back to it some day...
I"ve thought about going to the Madison Guild but they meet the same night as my Homemakers group. If we ever move our meeting for some reason, I'll go.....silly me, I could have gone on the 11th as we met for lunch and not at night...if i"d only been thinking..
Love your little Fawn, what a blessing..
Mama Bear