Monday, July 01, 2013

summer stitchin' . . .

I started that crayon tinting stint two weeks ago and haven't been able to stop! I'd been stitching away on Mr. Owlie and then . . . I got an idea.

Do you ever get an idea that just takes up residence and won't leave you alone until you do something about it?  Yeah, it was one of those kinds of ideas.

Remember the sweet little quilt block stand I got for Christmas?  Well the only thing I've made for it so far is the little Count it *all* JOY!!! block that I did for the "What's in a Word" hop, back in January. 
Oh. Dear.  Yes, it was definitely time for a new block in my little stand!  I felt like I needed to do something summery ... and something with crayon tinting.  Like maybe a sunflower.  Yes, most assuredly a sunflower.  Crayon tinted and outline-stitched with lots and lots and LOTS of French knots to make up the center. Appliqued onto a pretty strip-pieced background and very simply quilted.

That was my idea.

This my final . . .
 
I do love it when a project ends up looking like how I visualized it in my head! That doesn't always happen, you know.  But this time it really did and I'm extraordinarily pleased with it!
I used a sunflower template that I found on a scrapbooking blog . . . i love scrapbooking, to be exact. Except I didn't bother tracing over all of the circles in the center!
And I wasn't kidding ... a LOT of French knots.  It took me longer to do the French knots than it took to do the whole rest of the project combined!

And I figured it's been too long since I included grandbaby pictures, so I'd better share a few of those. Waaaay too long.  Sawyer's headed to college, Ellie's getting her driver's license, and June's not too far behind her.

Hahaha! Just kidding, though it does feel like the days are flying by!  Sawyer gets taller by the minute (doesn't he look like a kid as opposed to a toddler?), 

Ellie--no longer a baby--is adding a million words a day to her vocabulary (most notably, to me, "Neesey"!), 

and June is in charge and on the move and loves hamming it up!  
They're all so darling and precious to me!

The question now is . . . what to play with next??!

:)

17 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh my gosh this is so pretty! And all those French knots - super. And you didn't even mention that great binding, just ends it all perfectly. Gosh the wee ones are really growing - give them all hugs and kisses for me, such cuties. Enjoy your 4th.

Janet O. said...

Looks wonderful, Denise--and I can't believe ALL THOSE FRENCH KNOTS!!! WOW!!
Oh, those photos of the kids are so cute--the one of June cracked me up! : )

Sheila said...

It is beautiful , I love sunflowers and this one is lovely. Crayons arfe such fun to play around with.Your grandchildren are precious :-)

Jeanie said...

Everyone loves a sunflower! And it does say summer. Although the little ones might not be driving and heading to college....they certainly are growing.;)

Teresa in Music City said...

I'd play with those gorgeous grandbabies!!! What a bunch of cutie pies! I know I can't believe how quickly Hudson is growing and now talking - wow! I love your sunflower, and my mom would go nuts over it. I made her a sonflower for her stand last year. And I know what you mean about those french knots... they are the main reason I whined so much about the Promises & Borders stitchery blocks - it took forever to finish up the french knot centers in those dang flowers!!!!

Connie said...

What a beautiful and neat sunflower....look at all those french knots!! I can't believe how big Sawyer is getting and all the grand-kids are just adorable!

Beth in MN said...

Your summer quilt block is spectacular. Wow, all those french knots but what wonderful texture they add.

I would definitely plan with those grand-babies. They grow up too fast.

Paula said...

I love your sunflower. You did an awesome job on that! All those french knots. Has be hundreds.

Enjoyed the pictures of the grands. Sawyer sure is looking more and more boy than a toddler, like you said. Seems like Ellie and June were just born and I can't believe just how big they are. they are all beautiful.

Go play with them before they do head off to college.
Hugs

Cathy said...

Wow!! Looks at those babies, that are not so much babies any more. Ellie still has those chubby baby feet, though that look like they are just asking to be smooched and tickled. Sawyer's such a charmer and June, what a ham. They are just beautiful!

Terry said...

Oh the work you put into that little hanging, it is beautiful. So are the grand kids.

Michelle said...

That's so gorgeous!

linda said...

beautiful stitched sunflower - wow - i'm honored you used my image! fabulous!

Sarah said...

The sunflower quilt is so much prettier than I could have imagined. Do you think you'll do one for each season? The grands are certainly growing like weeds - I barely recognize them!

Kate said...

Love the sunflower! It's gorgeous! The kids certainly have grown. It's amazing how fast they move from diapers to drivers licenses!

Have a happy 4th of July!

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Adorable pictures!!!

:) Carolyn

Shasta Matova said...

This sunflower quilt is gorgeous - there is such satisfaction in creating your own designs, especially when they turn out like you pictured.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Denise your sunflower is stunning! And so is Ellie. :) blessings, marlene