Tuesday, July 30, 2013

no surprise . . .

So perhaps chaos does lead to creativity, after all . . . !

In the middle of all my mess (and a half-dozen ongoing projects), I saw a picture online (facebook or pinterest or something), and was instantly intrigued.
I loved the idea of this quilting around the center.  It's a really simple design -- super simple -- and would make a fabulous table topper -- and I still have sunflowers on the brain, and I thought this would be perfect for a sunflower fat quarter I'd purchased just recently.

Hence my question about how to template a spirograph-like star for quilting the other day.  I was really struggling with it, but determined to overcome.  Then I took another, closer look at the finished project in the original photo, and realized that there were 24 points, which meant they were using equilateral triangles and each triangle was a separate unit.  I wanted an unending design, so that my quilting started and stopped at the same point.
Finally, I figured it out!!!

So then it was time to put my top together.
I had to stencil my quilting design on there in order to know where my star should go (and how big it could be).  And well, if it's good on the front, wouldn't it be good on the back?! 
Of course!  Plus, I get double use from it (which I'm all about).

Instead of putting it together, quilting and binding it, I stitched it with right sides together, flipped it inside out, and then quilted it . . .
I was a little concerned about how the design would quilt on the back, even though I'd worked very carefully to line up the center design, so I used a more blended color of thread for the bobbin.
But I think it worked out just perfectly! It's hard to see in the picture, which means it's not as striking, but now I know it's do-able and I can go wild next time!  Yay!!
Already got it in use!  It was a fun and fast project and I *love* the quilting!  
[post script added:  since it doesn't get any NewFO-y-er than this, I'm linking up to Barbara's Cat Patches for her July NewFO linky party!  Yay!!]

As for "Wilma" -- she's the companion to "Waldo" of "Where's Waldo" fame.  
I'd cut and pasted her into my photo the other day:
Teresa found her first!!  I may have to mail Teresa a little something for having a 'hawk eye'!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

That is so cool!!! And how pretty with your sunflower setting, a real pick me up.

JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose said...

Spirograph! now there's a word I haven't heard since the 70s, but I loved mine! And a wonderful technique to use in quilting... I'm a sunflower lover, year round!

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh very intriguing!!! I've got to try it, of course :*) I absolutely love it with your sunflower fabric!!!

And yep, that's exactly where I thought Wilma was - it was hard to be sure because I couldn't see it very clearly. You're a clever little thing to hide her in there like that!

Doniene said...

Cute, cute!! Great job!!!

We love the Waldo books. When they came out, we were traveling a lot as a family and they were great "time passers"! We even had a couple of Waldo jig saw puzzles!!

Blessings

Mary said...

I didn't see her at all. Great way to spotlight the centre design. Reversible is good too.

Paula said...

I love the quilting so I am mailing you a huge box of quilts to quilt for me. UNLESS, you would like to do a tutorial???
Hugs

Kris said...

Your table topper is wonderful - both sides and you are so clever to figure out the spirograph!! And very cool how it just makes the star pop!! Oh, yeah, and thanks for telling us old folks who Wilma is!! Way to go, Teresa!!

Marsha Hodgkins said...

I LOVE it! I want to make one; and I'd like to share it on my Friday Finds!!! Hope you won't mind but let me know if you do and I'll refrain from showing all my quilting buddies your terrific idea!

Barbara said...

Cute post, Denise. And aren't you the clever one figuring that out!

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

You are very creative. Love the sunflowers and denim.

Quilting Babcia said...

What a fabulous quilting design! I'm thinking of it for Christmas placemats and table runners but all sorts of applications abound. Thanks for showing us this.

Cindy Swanson said...

Hello from another believer! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I loved checking yours out...gotta say I envy your lovely quilting talent!

Blessings,

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

Tami C said...

You've got a lovely table topper there! Sunflowers are my mother-in-law's favorite flower and I'm always looking for things to do for her.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That's cool how you figured out the quilting. Looks nice!

Kate said...

Very pretty table topper. The quilting on it is really inspired.

Kate said...

Fun table topper. I really like the paisley side!