Saturday, October 19, 2013

crafty fun . . .

Ellie and I had a play date on Thursday.  I called it our "A is for Acorn" day!
We started with some basic crayon coloring.  That it was an "A is for Acorn" sheet made me smile.  That it was an Elmo "A is for Acorn" sheet made Ellie squeal!
Next, we moved to a different textile.  Paints, to be precise!  This time, the object of our attention was a squirrel with acorns (on paper).
You see she holds that paintbrush like a total pro, right?  In fact, Ellie did such a good job with her painting, we went ahead and graduated from paper to actual acorns . . .
She's a natural!
Aren't they pretty?  I'd seen painted acorns on pinterest and followed the link to Home Stories:  A to Z.  I didn't have acrylic paints, so Ellie and I just used what I had (which was non-toxic, washable poster paints).
I did some, too.  And even though they aren't quite the same as the original idea, I still think they turned out prettily, especially once we (I) added the glitter! Glitter, the bane of a pre-school teacher's existence.  But it does make everything prettier!

After we cleaned up from acorn-painting and had lunch, it was nap time (but not for me, though I could have used one). While Ellie napped, I tried out my new acorn cake pan!
I used the recipe that came with it.  They turned out so prettily!
Even prettier when dipped in chocolate and brushed with a maple glaze . . . and dusted with the sugar equivalent of glitter!

I also worked on finishing up Ellie's *super hero* cape (she needed it today for a friend's birthday party). Since Ellie was napping, Leia very graciously volunteered to step in and help me out.
I think it turned out quite nicely!  Thank you, Leia!  (And ... linking her on up to the Feline Friday linkup at Sarah Did It!)

Ellie was happy to test out both the cape *and* the acorn cakes when she woke up from her nap . . .
And she gave me her definite seal of approval!

It was a fun day . . . but I hope I didn't do myself a disservice and set the bar too high!  Hahaha!  And lest you think I've completely lost it and gone over to the dark (acorn) side, let me share what I'm playing with this weekend.  My sister picked up a couple of darling felt projects when we were in Texas.  She got home to NJ and went to work on this one:
Didn't she do a great job?!!  I totally love it!!
She shared the pattern with me and I've got these wools picked out for it . . .
I substituted that blue and black  houndstooth for the solid black . . . because it makes me happy!  So, off I go to start cutting and stitching!

:)



16 noted . . .:

Kate said...

Wow that was quite a day. Love Ellie's super hero cape, how very cool!

Mary said...

A fun A day with Ellie! Love the Acorn pan. Those look yummy! Wish I was in the mood to bake. I'm following Bonnie's latest quip, "When I learned to quilt I forgot how to cook."

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

A fun A day with Ellie! Love the Acorn pan. Those look yummy! Wish I was in the mood to bake. I'm following Bonnie's latest quip, "When I learned to quilt I forgot how to cook."

Sandi Colwell said...

You're always up to something fun! Love it.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I cannot wait to see your little candle mat!

A day with a grand - nothing much better than that!! Looks like you two had a wonderful time!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

What fun! Great post.

Doniene said...

What an "A" 1 day!!! LOL - everything is purrrrfect!!

Blessings

Janet O. said...

Boy, Denise, my grandkids will want to hire you. What a day!!
BTW, Leia is saying, "Oh, the indignity of it all!"
And I am pretty sure that Ellie is giving her squeal of approval!
Whew, what a relief--pumpkins! I was definitely feeling disoriented with all of that acorn stuff. Is this really Denise's blog? : )

Cathy said...

I love the looks of either total joy in a couple of the pics and the look of total concentration in the others. And I'm with Janet... there has been a strange absence of pumpkins on your blog. LOL

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a fun day for both of you - so many projects and lots of smiles. An A+ day!!

Marsha Hodgkins said...

I'm totally with you on this whole day with Ellie. It's just like something I probably did with my grandson when he was her age. Once a preschool teacher, always a preschool teacher!!! I also LOVE the wool pumpkin project. Must find it or draw up something like it!!

Hugs!

Kris said...

Oh, Denise - What a great, great post!! That little Ellie is growing like an acorn!! Everything was just soooooo cute - looks like you had a fabulous time!! :-))

Teresa in Music City said...

Love those wools!!! And the acorns look absolutely scrumptious :*) Looks like you and Ellie (and Leia) had way too much fun for one day! I bet you are the most amazing grandma - I want to be like you someday when I grow up :*D (And my grandkids want that too LOL)

Sarah said...

Any girl who can make a purple acron is tops in my book! The choco dipped acorns look fabulous - what kind of cake? spice?

Oh I sew need your cape dimensions!! Mom teased the Zorro needs one for Halloween but then said not to. I just can't pass it up!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I think Leia will get jealous if you don't make her a cape, too. Fun day!