Monday, October 21, 2013

the pumpkin issue (part 1) . . .

Because I know, knowing me the way I do, that there will be at the very least one or two (or three or four) most posts where pumpkins figure prominently!  And after that explosion of acorns on my blog post Saturday, I felt like I really needed to pay homage to the fruit of fall . . . the object d'art *and* culinary delights in autumn . . . my favorite and yours (or at least it should be):

The PUMPKIN!!
I purchased pumpkins finally this past Friday, at my favorite pumpkin place of all times, Tate Farms.  We did our annual family fun day!  Ellie came in and felt right at home -- she's definitely a kindred spirit -- and headed for the fun "Apple Gourd".  It ain't easy being green.

Of course, there are other things at the farm to do, so we hit the swings . . .
The big pumpkin-colored bouncer (Sawyer and Ellie *both* loved this thing) . . .
And the corn crib . . .

It never ceases to amaze me the difference a year makes.  Last year, Ellie cried at everything and June was a nice round bump in her mommy's silhouette!  This year Ellie cried when she had to *leave* everything and June is nearly a year old!  Sawyer pretty much enjoyed it all and especially the ability to roam-at-large.

Then it was time for our hayride out into the pumpkin field! 

I think everyone enjoyed the ride ... but their eyes were WIDE when they saw all the pumpkins in the field!

Ellie kissing her pumpkin pick!
Paw paw helps orchestrate a prime 'photo op'!
Sawyer found LOTS of good pumpkins!
June, enjoying a close encounter of the pumpkin kind. 
Family shot sans Sawyer--who was too busy playing in the pumpkin patch!
The farm has a darling little country store and I found the *cutest* pumpkin hat for baby girl June:
Every October baby (especially an October 31st baby!) should have a pumpkin hat, right?!?!?

I picked up a couple of pumpkins for me . . . 
Sawyer, June and Ellie pumpkins, right??!!

And I have plans for these guys, too . . .
You'll just have to wait and see! 

And finally, not working on much right this minute except my sweet little pumpkin candle mat!
I've made some progress and actually got started stitching on it yesterday!

Whew!  That should be a good fill of pumpkin goodness . . . for now.  Have a GREAT Monday!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Yeah - now there is the Denise we know! How fun a place for the whole family. Now I have never seen apple gourds - they are really neat. How prescious - kissing her pumpkin! And that adorable hat!! Wow- you got a lot done on your stitching, very sweet.

Mary said...

So happy to see your fun time with the grands! Pumpkins galore this time of year. I prefer them to the ghosts and goblins...

Barbara F. said...

Such a fun day, Denise. I adore fall outings, and how much more fun with three adorable grandbabies. I can't believe how big June is. You are blessed, my friend! xo

gpc said...

Adorable! I absolutely agree that every october baby should have a pumpkin hat! My daughter is 34 today and I would get her one of those if I could, lol. What a fun outing for all of you. :)

Cathy said...

For a while there, I thought maybe someone had switched Denises...... no pumpkins in October.... who are you and what have you done with Denise?!? But, you're back. LOL! And to be able to do all that with your grandbabies, how wonderful!

Janet O. said...

I feel so much more comfortable on your blog when it is about pumpkins, not acorns!! : )
What a very fun day! I love all of the things you shared. And yes, that pumpkin hat is perfect for an Oct. 31st girl!
Your mat is so cute!! I love the houndstooth background. Gives it more texture. Wonderful job!

Kate said...

What a fun day! We used to do the pumpkin patch when DT wasn't a such a DT. Looks like a great day for everyone.

Teresa in Music City said...

Such a nice, warm, lovely, pumpkin-y post my dear :) Looks like you all had a wonderful time at the pumpkin patch - loved all the kiddie pics!!! You are right - they are growing up SO fast!

Momof3girls said...

I enjoy all your posts, but especially your bubbling personality. You remind me of an excited young child at Christmas time. It shows through in each post.
Love ya girl!

AnnieO said...

Looks like such a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing all your great photos. No pumpkins at my house yet other than decor ones :). Love your pumpkin mat!

Needled Mom said...

It looks like such fun autumn memories were being made. The pictures are all beautiful.

Jean(ie) said...

You know it's finally fall when you blog about your beloved pumpkins. It amazes me how many smiles you can get from a round, orange, happy ball of pumpkin -- you just can't help but smile. :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That pumpkin hat is adorable. I well remember taking the preschool (I was the director) to the pumpkin patch each year. So much fun to watch all the kids.

Sarah said...

Adorable pumpkin hat and dress :)

Pioneer woman's blog today was about a mac&cheese chookbook - one recipe is cooked in a pumpkin. I'll have to keep my eye out for thebook as all the recipes looked fab!