Monday, October 28, 2013

the pumpkin issue (part 2) . . .

Last week I *really* got my pumpkin craftiness on!  Along with a couple of other things . . . acorns and cauldrons!

It started with pumpkins and a visit to Ellie.  She was quite taken with the pumpkin mat I was stitching.  She studied it very intently . . .
She was bound and determined to take a stitch!
She did it!  She listened very carefully to me as I explained the process.  She was very pleased with her first stitch, too!  
I finished it up yesterday . . . (Slow Stitching Sunday!!) . . . and I did leave in Ellie's first stitch.  In fact, I think she owns this one--as a memorial.  It's only fitting, right?!?

We shook things up with a bit of acorn baking (again).  This time it was a recipe from the current issue of Tea Time Magazine for mini orange bundt cakes!
They were so yummy and turned out so prettily!

Then it was back to pumpkins as we grabbed this fun photo opportunity out in her front yard:
Isn't she just precious???!

From her house that night, I headed to Decatur and the Princess Theater.  I'd won tickets to see Menopause the Musical and took my quilty-friend, Kari, along with me to see it . . .
We had a marvelous time and the production was seriously hilarious!

The next day, I got a little Sawyer and June loving in.
Story time!!  And sweet grandbaby love!!

On Thursday I diverted one more time from pumpkins to do a little Halloween craftiness for my Sunday school girls . . .
I handed them out yesterday . . . they really enjoyed them (they were filled with treats)!  Not to mention my own handiwork on the poem (based on the good Word, of course).

Friday and Saturday, though, it was back to pumpkins!!!  I did three . . . two painted and one carved.  This year, I centered a whole theme around football and the Alabama Crimson Tide!
Ah, can you feel the pumpkin/football love???!

And when pumpkins are carved, there are pumpkin seeds to roast, too!
Todd and I made quick work of these while we were watching the football game (Alabama vs. Tennessee) . . . they were better than popcorn!  Ha!  I told Todd we may need to carve another pumpkin, just so we can get some more seeds!

My favorite moment, though, was turning on the lights for my display at dusk:
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

My design wall is not blank . . . know I've got one more pumpkin-y surprise up my sleeve for the last week of October!  But I hate to spoil the surprise . . .
I'll share the above (for now)!  For some real design wall eye-openers, head over to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times.  And . . .

Have a marvelous week!

:)

15 noted . . .:

Lee said...

What fun stuff you do at your house...and teaching Miss Ellie at such a young age - priceless! That'll be a great story for the future of her very first stitch - and it's documented :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

How sweet that you left in that first stitch of Ellie's ... ah, I love it!! And the memories! Too precious!

How wonderful that you had grandbaby time. My grands have been out of town since Thursday morning, so I'm suffering from withdrawal. Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow.

Janet O. said...

Oh, that is so sweet about Ellie and the pumpkin mat!
I couldn't read the words on the cauldron, but I was really curious as to how you tied in the Good Word. : )
My goodness, I am tired just following your adventures in print.
It appears that someone has a slight fondness for the Crimson Tide!!
I love your last little project. Very sweet and seasonal!

Sarah said...

Hmm Pumpkins and Roll Tide at the same time...imagine that. LOL! The fall displays are very nice. I never seem to decorate for fall...seem you would have rubbed off on my by now...

Melissa Bishop said...

I love that look little ones get on their faces when they are concentrating. She DID do a good job. And I noticed you kept the stitch she did. I can just see you pointing it out to her someday. What a neat keepsake. Happy Halloween.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I think it makes it extra special with that extra special stitch.

Melissa AuClair said...

Beautiful! I saw your link on the Where Women Create FB question. So happy to find you! Lovely pictures and wonderful crafts!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wowzer...you are just so creative!
LOVE the photos of the little hands taking stitches!
And how wonderful that you did not remove her first stitching love! Thanks for linking up!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like that you left Elle's stitch in there. Cute!

Melissa @ My Recent Favorite Books said...

Love the photos of Elle learning how to stitch. And all of your Halloween photos are great!

Katherines Corner said...

Wonderful times at your place. I love the photo of Elle sewing! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. You help to make it so much fun.♥

Angel said...

It's a great day for pumpkins! Love your post. Very sweet. So glad I found you through Katherine's Corner. I'm now following your blog!

Kate said...

You must be channeling the Great Pumpkin! Fun stuff!

Mary said...

I hope the Crimson Tide rolls on for you. Nice to be a FAN. That Pumpkin Mat is SEW Cute and I'm glad that you got pics of Ellie trying to stitch here first time. You have been a Busy Grandma!

tink's mom said...

I love her first attempt at stitching and that it has been included in the pumpkin mat. Hope it is just the first of many joint projects in your lives.