Sunday, October 06, 2013

losing the race . . .

Good gravy, good gravy, good gravy and HOLD THE TRAIN!!

How is it that it's October?!?  Don't get me wrong -- October ROCKS!  I *love* October.  It's *my* month . . . it's the kick off of my holiday season.  
Anne of Green Gables quote :)
Anyone that's known me for a year or more knows October is my birth month (the tenth, to be exact, in the event you want to make some plans) and that I really enjoy celebrating my birthday!  Not because I'm a narcissist or think I'm *all that* -- but gosh, y'all, if God thought enough of me to create me and plan a life for me (Psalm 119:73 and Jeremiah 29:11), who am I not to celebrate the day He brought me into this world?! Bazinga!
But . . . I digress.  Because the fact of the matter is, HOW IN THE WORLD IS IT OCTOBER ALREADY?!?!?!?  Have mercy, this year is flying by!  Next thing you know, we'll be Trick or Treating, enjoying a fabulous Thanksgiving feast, and sitting on Santa's lap!  (But don't judge the time of year by the singing ♫♪ of Christmas carols, because I sing ♫♪ them all the time.  Just ask my long-year-'round-suffering husband.) ♫♪♫♪♫♪

So again I say Good gravy!  I guess it's time for the monthly stash report, then. So be it.  There wasn't a whole lot in or out.  Or rather, there was NONE out and just a smidgen in . . .

Used/donated this month: 0.0 yards
Used/donated year-to-date: 35.25 yards
Purchased/added this month: 2.0 yards
Purchased/added year-to-date: 85.75 yards
Net used/donated for 2013: -50.5 yards

My 'added' numbers came mostly from my sister trip.  I haven't yet shared those two quilt shops, but I will in the coming month (if it doesn't end in the blink of an eye)!  One of the yards was in this *gorgeous* flannel:
The picture does NOT do it justice!  It's soft and rich and really quite beautiful.  It may never end up in a quilt (actually, I like flannel for the backs of my table toppers), but I'll enjoy petting it!  I found that in the TX quilt shop.

Then a half of a yard came from the two prints on the left . . . I found those in the NJ quilt shop.  Just fun and happy and in my colors!
The other half pictured there is from a recent foray into HOQ a local quilt shop.  It was for a girl in my SS class for a project she's making.  But she found a chevron print she liked better.  Ah well.  I'll find something to do with it or someone who loves it more than I do (which shouldn't be too difficult, if you know what I mean).

And since I'm sharing purchases, my sister got me this *darling* wool kit while we were in the NJ quilt shop:
Oh my gosh, how cute is this?!?  And again, the photo doesn't do justice to the wools -- they are very luscious and rich!  I'm going to start working on this sweet runner very soon!  It's the kit for the gobbler!  Ps, I don't count wool in my stash report. Just sayin'.  :)

I also picked up this Art-to-Heart book:
Count On It -- filled with really sweet quilt stand blocks!  Right up my RV alley!!

And two mini quilting templates--a shell and a leaf (they did some fun things with the leaf template in the TX quilt shop, which is why I purchased it)--some redwork floss and a pretty blue/purple variegated floss.
Can you believe that was the sum total of my quilty purchases while I was away??  Who am I and what have I done with myself?!  LOL!

I continue to work on my wholecloth project.  I've finished three of the four corner fans!  One more and it's on to the borders . . . then I'm done quilting!

Camp life is busy, busy, busy!  We had a group up this weekend called American Heritage Girls.  It's similar to Girl Scouts, but faith-based.  They were a great group--it was family-camping.  In fact, I saw a baby that couldn't have been more than 2-3 months old!  Awesome!  After they'd finished their structured program on Saturday and had their closing ceremony, the families were free to wander as they pleased.  Some hiked, some enjoyed sitting around the campfire, some went down to the ponds to fish and do a picnic lunch, some hit the obstacle course, and some even found turtles!
Sweet girls -- they brought this little gal to us for our turtle sanctuary!  It's the smallest turtle I've ever seen in the wild.  

We were showing off the turtle sanctuary to the girls -- there were several turtles out and about -- when one of the turtles got up out of its hiding spot and made haste to the little pond.  Where it took a jump and a swim!
The girls all thought it was great; they'd never seen a box turtle swimming before!  I have to admit, I thought it was pretty cool, myself!

Let's see, what else?  Oh, I know!  Again, anyone who knows me could probably see this coming . . . 



Yup, pumpkin projects!  I've got a couple up my sleeves for the coming weeks, as well.  The top photo is Pumpkin Spice cookies from a recipe I found over at Pleasant Home via pinterest.  They were very tasty and I plan on making more with Ellie in the coming week!  Following the cookies is a picture of the pumpkin pancakes that Todd and I enjoyed for breakfast on Saturday.  YUM!  Then finally, my fabric dabble in pumpkins!  This will be October's quilt stand block.  It's late because OCTOBER SNEAKED UP ON ME! I hope to finish that up this week.  But, there's birthday *and* our guild quilt show, so who knows WHAT will get accomplished this week?!?!

Finally, I wanted to share this funny.  It made me laugh for at least an hour!
Bahahahaaa!!!!  That'll change the way you think about pumpkin pies, won't it?!?!?!?  :)

Linking up with Patchwork Times' Stash Report and Design Wall Monday posts, as well as the Slow Stitching Sunday post at Kathy's Quilts!  :)

Have a *fabulous* week!!

:)

18 noted . . .:

Barbara said...

What an exuberant post! Happy birthday! My son's birthday is the 9th. That last picture cracked me up.

Janet O. said...

Okay, Denise, if I didn't make my own pumpkin pies, you may have just spoiled them for me!! : )
That is pretty funny. True "potty humor."
I'm still trying to sort out everything you covered here, but I do recall--love the turkey runner and your pumpkin quilt projects. You are coming along on the hand quilting project, too. Trust me--I wouldn't be half that far in twice the time!
Hope you have a mighty happy birthday--I will be in Keepsake Quilting in NH that very day! I'll try to remember to think of you. *LOL*

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well Happy Birthday. Great fabrics and other goodies. Always enjoy seeing kids enjoy nature - just knew that turtle sanctuary would be a hit.

Kate said...

Wow, you've been a busy lady. Great restraint in the foreign to you quilt shops. Love your pumpkin block, the fabrics you used have just the right texture.

Enjoy your birthday this month.

Lyndsey said...

Happy birthday. looks like those girls had a great time.

Melissa Bishop said...

Happy birthday! What a great haul you have there.
On a side note, I have a friend who is looking for someone to make a quilt for him out of his t-shirts. Do you know of anyone who would be interested? They can work out pricing with him.
Thanks!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Darlene, thank you so much for sharing these beautiful scriptures. It is something we do need to remember. I wish I lived closer, as I would love to celebrate with you on your birthday :-)

Doniene said...

I smiled and giggles the whole way through!!!! You are such a hoot!!! So glad that you had a good trip!! Thought of you and wished we could have made connection - oh well that's what you get for living in the BIG state of Texas!!! LOL

Your fabric additions are awesome!!!

Blessings

P.S.
I LOVE pumpkin pie - just not your kind!!!! LOL!!!!!

Missy Shay said...

Happy Birthday! Time really has been flying!

Lee said...

Well, happy early birthday :) My son's is tomorrow and I'm not ready either with October arriving way too soon! You certainly have lots happening and lots you're working on...no surprise there! Nice to see you post again.

Barbara F. said...

Denise, your happiness spills over in this post and I am now feeling happy from your overflowing happiness!!! I enjoyed all the foodie stuff on FB. Nice to revisit. xo

Quilter Kathy said...

Well, thanks for putting me off pumpkin pies for the rest of the season!! LOL
Wonderful to hear that you are making great progress on your whole cloth quilt!
Thanks for linking up!

Mary said...

Both of my girls refuse to eat Pumpkin pie now that they saw that funny on FB. So glad you are still having fun! Best wishes for a Happy Birthday!!!!

Jean(ie) said...

Bwahahaahaha... you said pumpkin!

Happy early birthday! :-)

jan said...

I always knew there was a reason that I don't like Pumpkin pie! Now i know. lol Happy birthday to you. Love the wools and the fabric pumpkin.
xo jan@sewandsowfarm

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

My oldest granddaughter is an American Heritage girl ... how nice that a local chapter got to enjoy your camp.

I love October ... it's not my birthday month, but I still love it. ;-)

I have never been too big a fan of pumpkin pie ... and now I know why. ha!

Sarah said...

Dang girl - you've been BUSY! I hope your bday was fabulous. I wouldn't count wool in a cotton stash report either! My LQS sells the calendar book and they always look cute - Can't wait to see yours! PS - sent the pie photo to my brother - it's right up his alley :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! You may sing Christmas songs all year, but I watch Christmas movies all year. Happy Birthday, again! Oh yea, I could have used that leaf stencil this week. I had to make one instead. Yours is cuter than mine.