Sunday, November 17, 2013

stitching crazy hexie quilting . . .

Off and on over the past several years, this beautiful hexi project from Gipsy Quilt has popped in and out of blogs and up on Pinterest.  It recently resurfaced as a link in my StitchMAP e-mail group and this time I looked at it through eyes that have crazy quilted *and* fallen head-over-heals in love with hexagons.  A wacky-wonderful  combo!  
Magnifique, right?! Anyway, I contacted Gipsy and she sent me a pdf of the process and technique. Yay!!

Ahem.  While I'm *far* away from doing any actual stitching, my brain is rolling with ideas.  So it was time to pull out my quilting journal.  (No surprise it's purple, right?!)
The first thing I did was brainstorm ideas for block themes.  I got my sisters in on the job, too.  We have an ongoing four-way text conversation going, so that was easy and they were all very helpful!
Next thing was to decide how many blocks I wanted to and how I wanted to put them together.
Then I had to decide a size and make a template in card stock.
And then it was time for the fun stuff!!  I started with, well, block one!  Since this is a journal quilt, I figure the center block should start at the beginning!
Now . . . only 36 more templates/themes to go!
Luckily, I'm thinking this will be a long term project, spanning a couple of years. Like most of my projects. Hah! Linking this up to Sarah Did It! and her HeLP for Hexie-aholics linky party!  :)

In the meantime, I'm playing around on my crayon-tinted cornucopia.  I love how this is turning out!
The variegated brown floss on the cornucopia really gives it depth, I think.  I'll probably work on this some more this afternoon . . . as some Slow Sunday Stitching over at Kathy's Quilts!

Ah, and don't forget!  I'll be guest posting the recipe for Holiday Biscotti on Sew Crafty Angel next week -- the 19th to be specific.  I hope to see you there!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

how pretty this is and perfect for the holiday!

Cathy said...

The embroidery on your cornucopia makes such a difference! It looks fabulous!

Jean(ie) said...

I can't wait to see your progress on the hexies. I'll be demonstrating english paper piecing in January at the guild meeting.

The embroidery on your Thanksgiving piece is awesome. It's really bringing depth to the piece.

Ellen said...

Fabulous hexie project! Your cornucopia is perfect for the season.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow! hexie or crazy quilt, no crazy hexie quilt. Just love this idea. What a great project for any hand stitcher.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is a gorgeous project and so you.

Janet O. said...

Oh, my goodness, those hexies are C.R.A.Z.Y! My mind can't even wrap around them! LOL
Nice job on the cornucopia. I can handle that!! : )

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

So gorgeous!

Quilter Kathy said...

Such creative energy swirling around you! Love the new hexie project and your cornucopia project is so perfect for Thanksgiving!

Teresa in Music City said...

That looks like the perfect project for you my friend!!! I absolutely love those hexies and will thoroughly enjoy watching you make some "Denise" ones :*) And I don't want to forget to say how much I really love your cornucopia - it's beginning to look good enough to eat! You're right - the variegated thread adds some delightful interest :)

Melissa Bishop said...

Love all of it, Denise. How do you sew a hexi quilt? By hand or by machine? Would love to see those photos when you get to that stage. Happy quilting!

Sarah said...

I hope you strte stitching beore you design all the blocks - I'm anxious to see them come together. Oh yeah, the purple? a given! What are you making your cornecopia into? It's gorgeous!

Vireya said...

Beautiful hexagon project. It looks like something that would take a long time to complete, but that's a very appropriate starting block!

Kate said...

Love the crazy quilted hexagons. I so did not need another project on my bucket list, but this one has to go on there. You have a great plan for the first one!

Dar said...

Ooh, I love your new hexie project. That is so clever of you for your first block to join the hexie and crazy quilting ideas together. It will be such a walk down memory lane when you are finished. I love any kind of biscotti, so I hope I remember to check next week.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

That is going to be a cool crazy hexie quilt. Have fun!