Saturday, October 03, 2015

pumpkin month . . .

Y'all.  It's OCTOBER!  You know what that means for me, right? 

All.

Things.

Pumpkin!!

And even though October, for some crazy reason, thinks it's March (coming in like a lion, all blustery and wet), I've got my comfy slippers on and am perched with some favorite things . . . 
A TeaTime Magazine (LOL -- the Christmas special publication), a pot of pumpkin spice tea, and a fire in the fireplace!  And I'm all full of Roll Tide Roll happiness, too.  What more could a girl ask for?!

A pumpkin craft, that's what!

I thought it would be fun to share a pumpkin craft that I'm working on each weekend.  Last week I shared a pumpkin coloring page so you could get your adult coloring on.  This week I thought I'd share darling twine pumpkins created from a tutorial my sister found by Simply Sarah, from several years ago.
Aren't they precious?! You may note that one of mine is not made of twine. That is because I had a hard time finding colored twine that I felt was pumpkin-suitable.  I found this roll wandering the aisles at Michael's:
But I like variety (spice of life and all), so I went and wandered in the yarns to see if I could find anything.  I had a skein picked out when I stumbled across this pretty little autumnal-looking skein:
And so I ventured to give it a go.  It was definitely not as stiff as the twine, but I think it worked out fairly nicely.  In retrospect, I could have been heavier handed with the glue on the yarn one.  And been a bit more patient with the drying process, for both of them! When she says in the tutorial that you need to let the twine (or yarn, ahem, as the case may be) DRY COMPLETELY.  Ah well, hindsight it 20/20, right?

Also, being the instruction rebel that I am, I used clear glue instead of white glue.
And I used floral wire to curl (around the end of a meat thermometer) to give me the curly cue vines.
Overall I'm pleased with them and they now occupy a place of honor in my "Ode to Pumpkin" vignette.
And here's a sneak peek at next week's Pumpkin Project . . .
Which will double as this week's Slow Sunday Stitching!

And for my stash report, nothing in and nothing out.
The story of my life this year. I went back and looked at my numbers for this same time last year and found I had a net of -16.25 (36.5 out and 56.75 in).  So I feel like I've been good about NOT buying fabric just for fabric's sake.  (I'm patting myself on the back, here!) Still wish I could push up my usage numbers -- and actually MAKE something quilty!  Ah well, there's always next week, right?

I'm linking up this post with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts. Y'all have a happy Saturday evening and a happier, blessing-filled Sunday!  

:)

15 left a comment . . .:

Libby in TN said...

I like the yarn one better! They're both cute, tho.

I beg to differ; it takes a Vandy win to make this girl smile. Anchor down!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh how cute! Love the one made with yarn! I didn't realize they made clear glue.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh how cute! Love the one made with yarn! I didn't realize they made clear glue.

Doniene said...

Darling, darling pumpkins!!! That tea sounds delicious!!! Maybe someday we can share a cup together!!! I love sitting by the fire sipping tea. My favorite right now is Twinnings English Breakfast!!! Soothes my soul to my soles!!!

Made a pass through you past few posts! So fun to see those cute, cute grands!!!! Such a joy, I'm sure!!

Have a blessed, blessed day my sweet friend!

Kate said...

Looks like you are all set up for some serious relaxing. Congrats on being ahead of last year. I too wish it would go out as quick as it comes in.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your pumpkins!!! I started a pumpkin table runner years ago and never finished it. I should get it out....

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your pumpkins!!! I started a pumpkin table runner years ago and never finished it. I should get it out....

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love that yarn color! Cute pumpkins.

Dar said...

That yarn is perfect for the pumpkin color. Cute, cute. I love to sip a cup of tea and have something sweet to go with it -- say pumpkin bread!! oooh, call me when the bread is done. lol

Janet O. said...

What a fun, pumpkin-filled post!
I need to get out my pumpkin decor before the month gets away from me.
Clever twine (or yarn) punkins.
Looking forward to seeing the mystery stitch project.
Do you find yourself quilting less since you have to leave home to sew?

CathieJ said...

Those are such cute pumpkins. What a great way to use up some orange rug yarn that I have had hanging around for a long time. I see a project in my future.

CathieJ said...

I forgot to mention the Teatime magazine. I had never heard of it and now I will have to try to find a copy. I love all things tea!

Sarah said...

Does fabric in really count if it's pay for working at the LQS? If it does, I'm in trouble from this past weekend! Maybe it's a good thing I don't track my stash ins/outs. Wish I could join you by that fire for tea - it's a bit chilly here in WNY!

Jennifer said...

Those pumpkins are super cute! I am making paper pumpkins with my girl scout troop tomorrow night - fingers crossed that they go well :)

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the ode to pumpkin vignette! You are so creative!