Sunday, October 25, 2015

stuffed pumpkin history . . .

Literally *and* figuratively!  I figured I'd done quite a number of crafty things featuring pumpkins to date, perhaps it was time to do a little baking/cooking.  So I did . . . not just one thing, but four!  Aren't we all lucky?!

First, I did a little research on the pumpkin.  Pumpkin pie is generally a favorite of mine, and one of my favorite Thanksgiving treats!  But seeing as how pie crust was not around during pre-colonial days, chances are pretty good that pumpkin pie was not on the menu.  At first, the early Pilgrim settlers turned their noses up at pumpkins, but as winter came on and they were hungry and dealing with scurvy, pumpkins started looking pretty good!  One dish they probably enjoyed (which later evolved into our pumpkin pie), was a custard type dish that was baked in a hollowed out pumpkin shell, then cooked in the cooking fire ashes!  I read about it here and here, and modified this set of instructions/recipe  and this recipe to come up with this . . .
Fun stuff!

Next up, I saw this recipe of Paula Deen's for Spice Caramel Corn.  But in my infinite wisdom (and quest to change every recipe/tutorial/set of instructions I come upon), I subbed out the cinnamon and added pumpkin pie spice instead . . .
May I just say YUMMY?!!

Then there were some sugar cookies.  No recipe, no link.  Just sugar cookies, frosted with orange tinted buttercream, sprinkled with autumn sugar sprinkles and topped with a candy corn stem . . .
And I had help!  Both in the making *and* the eating!
Sweet kiddos!

And finally, another favorite of the season.  No link or recipe, though.  Since I had to scoop out the pumpkin innards for the custard, I thought I might as well roast the pumpkin seeds!  I separate them from the 'mush' and rinse them thoroughly.
I then soak them in salted water (about 2 teaspoons per quart of water) for at least two hours.  After soaking, I pour off the water and pat them dry.  Add a tablespoon of cooking oil and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and mix well.  Lay them flat on a cookie sheet (rimmed, if possible) and bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crunchy!
I have a hard time allowing these to cool before grabbing a handful!!

In other news, my stash report for Week #42 is unchanged from last week. Not one iota.  Still holding strong at 19 yards net used.  I can't recall a time in my life since I started quilted when my purchase yardage was under 10.  Craziness!

And for my Slow Sunday Stitching, I thought I'd work on stitching together a few of my birthday chrysanthemums!
Although it seems kinda odd to have all these purples and blues in what's solidly an orange post!

Linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts today. And at some point I'll enjoy a cup of pumpkin spiced tea . . . and some pumpkin-y treats, too!  

:)

13 left a comment . . .:

Sarah said...

Goodness, tHose Fabrics look familiar. LOL. I have my cat chrysanthemums together....still working on the other one. Your pumkin recipes (and the grands eating them!!) all look yummy!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Everything sounds yummy. I make homemade caramel popcorn, but, I'd never thought to add any spices to it. I might have to try that. I've had roasted pumpkin seeds, but, I've never tried to do them myself, either (my mother never cooked, thus, I'm self taught, and don't know lots of things). I like your EPP flowers. A bit of purple added some 'spice' to your orange post ;)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Loving your pumpkin posts. We would do coal fire cooking in Boy Scouts using mini pumpkins and Acorn squash - filling them with various goodies. And roasting the seeds that were scooped. Always a hit with hungry boys.

Needled Mom said...

So much pumpkin goodness!!! The roasted seeds are a favorite around here too.

1000needles.com said...

Everything looks so good! I'll have to try making some of those one day. :)

Barbara F. said...

I love the custard baked in a pumpkin, Denise! I see you have been busy as usual. Glad your fall is going well and the grandbabies have gotten so big!

Kate said...

Serious yum! All the pumpkin dishes look great. DT and I are baking Halloween sugar cookies tonight. Hope you get ins some good slow stitching time this week.

Doniene said...

Oh my, I wanted to jump right into the computer and slither through the network/cyberspace and sample some of those goodies!! And those fabrics!! Superb!! you have been a very productive lady!!

Blessings and hugs!

Beth in MN said...

Oh! I will be right over to same the tea and goodies. Nummy-- Love your slow stitch chrysanthemums.

Janet O. said...

It's a pumpkin takeover!!
You certainly know how to celebrate the season (except for the purple and blue stuff). : )

BarbCarol said...

Did your pumpkin custard taste as wonderful as it looks?

Mary said...

You had some Pumpkin fun with your Littles this week. I can't make a good crust so I put my Pumpkin custard in a glass dish to bake. Good idea to use the Pumpkin too. I never thought of using a Candy Corn for the stem. I might borrow that idea.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow, what a lot of pumpkin yumminess. You're making me hungry! ;-)