Sunday, December 06, 2015

'tis the season . . .

It's been a busy, but happy week.  We got out the Christmas tree at work and decorated there . . .
I love decorating the work tree . . . that have big HUGE ornaments, and I love to tuck them in here and there.  Plus, since the RV tree is tiny (20"), this gives me a little bigger playing field! 

I finally finished up Mr. Snowbuddy.  I'm *so* pleased with the final product:
Isn't he just festive and handsome??

I should have moved on to the wool final snowman I have . . .
He'll be a doozy!  But I felt like playing with something a little smaller, so I pulled out these two mini yo-yo ornament kits I picked up in Paducah a couple of years ago . . .
The yo-yo's whip together quickly, and in no time I had a finished wreath:
My *intention* was to finish the candy cane, next, but I got distracted on the internet and came across a darling wool ornament tutorial on Camellia Rose (by way of Buttermilk Basin):
Yes, I was so enchanted with it, I had to stop what I was doing and make one for myself (see above)! So now I don't know whether I'll be making mini yo-yo candy canes, white wool Christmas trees, or a big ol' woolen snowman for Slow Stitching Sunday . . . but I've got options!

Of course, the day isn't really a 'slow' day.  This afternoon we're headed out for an adult Sunday school class party.  It's Mexican (food) themed, and I think we're going to have a great crowd!  
I've made guacamole and Mexican Wedding cookies for my offerings.  *Spicy*!!  But we'll be home before seven, so I'll have some quiet evening time to sit and stitch.  :)

My stash report hasn't changed a whit since last week.  
Again.  More often than not this year, that's been the case!  I need to get into my stash and thin it out a bit.  There's a lot there that I'll probably never use. What do you do with fabric you know you'll never use? I'd love to hear some ideas!  I'll be linking up to the stash report at Patchwork Times and to the Slow Sunday Stitching linky party at Kathy's Quilts.  

That's it for me this week.  Our Stitcher's group has its Christmas party on Tuesday, we have our MSC Missionary Christmas dinner on Thursday, our church ladies' Christmas dinner at Mrs. Mary Bobo's (in Lynchburg, Tennessee) on Saturday, and then Joc, Ellie and I are going to the Nutcracker on Sunday.  'Tis the season, right?!

Have a blessing-filled week!!

:)

14 left a comment . . .:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

This was certainly a fun and festive post to read and view :)

Libby in TN said...

Regarding fabric I won't use -- I simply close my eyes and stuff it in a bag to give away. If my taste has changed so dramatically that I won't use it, or if it's been in my stash since the beginning of time, or if it's juvenile stuff I bought for the grands who are now 11 and 14 ... you get the picture. Even if I paid top dollar, I just have to pull the plug and let it go. I'm trying to make my current purchases less specific/more generic -- things that "read" as solids or would make good backgrounds.

Jeanna said...

Whew! It is really a busy season for you. Such a party animal! Haha

I love the yoyo projects, they look like fun and maybe they are fast too?

Charlene S said...

Fabric:
1) Donate to a guild to make charity quilts.
2) Offer it to your guild members.
3) Give it to willing piecers who would pay the postage.
4) Cut it small and make charity quilts.
5) Send it to me. LOL

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

That little wreath ornament sure is cute!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Cute little ornaments! About fabric I no longer like, can't use, etc.: My guild holds a fabric exchange once a year. Everyone brings whatever quilting cotton they want to get rid of. It all goes on the table, then we all get to take what we want from what's there. It doesn't matter how much you brought or how much you take. Anything left goes to a charity that collects fabrics. I've destashed some no-longer loved pieces and received some very inspiring and useful ones.

Dee Dee said...

You are so clever with your hand stitching projects. The snowman tree and wreath are all great. The cookies look yummy!

Janet O. said...

Lots of fun stitching going on at your place! Things are "holiday hopping" for you, from the sound of it.
Love those cookies--used to love to lick my fingers after rolling them all in the powdered sugar. : )

Quilter Kathy said...

So many wonderful ornaments are being made!
So many projects, so little time ;)
ENjoy!

Love Bears All Things said...

I make Mexican Wedding Cookies too....Jim loves them........I like what you're doing and sounds like you had fun, too. This is a busy time of year.
Mama Bear

Mary said...

I had a roommate that made those cookies for me in College. YUM! You have a busy, Festive schedule! No Nutcracker for me this year. The DGD quit her Ballet class to play the Violin. Happy Stitching going on. Stash fabrics- HMMM I have a bunch too. The only idea I have is to use them in donation quilts.

Linda in Calif. said...

I think you are having too much fun! All those great projects and Mexican Wedding Cookies. (I made Mexican Mocha Balls - we should have gotten together)

Sarah said...

Sew...which project did you end up working on yesterday?? They were all cute ideas! What other mexican foods did you have at the party? Too bad my family doesn't like mexican and there isn't any good cuban food around here...

Kate said...

Sounds like your Christmas plans are moving along. Love the ornaments. Hope you found time last week to get in some good stitching time.