Wednesday, December 02, 2015

a review -- the sparkle box . . .

When Worthy Publishing contacted me with an opportunity to review a children's Christmas book, I jumped on the opportunity.  Being a lover of all things Christmas . . . especially when they're faith-based . . . I  looked forward to reading the story and determining if it was indeed a 'grandchildren' worthy tale.  In the case of The Sparkle Box, I was not just not disappointed, I was thrilled!
The Sparkle Box, written by Jill Hardie and beautifully illustrated by Christine Kornacki, grabbed my heart with the first read.  I sat in my car in the post office parking lot after receiving it--I couldn't even wait to get home--and as I read through it, I knew this was a story I wanted to share with my grandchildren.  This was a story I could see becoming an annual read for their families and a beloved part of our Christmas season's traditions.  The message -- that when we do for those less fortunate than ourselves, we do for Jesus -- is timeless and integral to the spirit of Christmas!
The true test came as I presented the book to granddaughter Ellie, on Thanksgiving.  She loved having it read to her and was as intrigued by the pretty "sparkle box" as was Sam, the story's main character! They've already put their sparkle box (which came with the book) together!
While I was gifted a copy in exchange for my honest review, I purchased a second copy of The Sparkle Box, so that *all* of my grandchildren could enjoy the story! 
I plan on purchasing a third copy to keep at my house -- it was that darling!
I highly recommend this book . . . it should become a Christmas classic. It's wonderfully written, the illustrations are gorgeous, and it touches the heart.  Five stars and two thumbs up!

Joining the "Bibliophile Files" linky party at sarah did it!

:)

3 left a comment . . .:

Janet O. said...

Sounds like a "Matthew 25:40" story.
I love collecting children's Christmas books, and all the better when they have special meaning. I'll have to look for that one.

Sarah said...

How nice that it comes with it's own sparkle box too. Is there an age range for this book? I'm wondering if my 7 & 10 year old nephews would like it...

Mary said...

I try every year to add a New Christmas book to my list. Thanks for the review! I give it to my Sons to read to their children.