Sunday, September 04, 2016

fall-ing . . .

It's funny . . . after a long, hot, humid summer, Alabamians (and maybe Southerners in general), are ready to declare it's fall when September 1 hits the deck.  Even though there's no change in temperature (or humidity) for some time to come!  I've always been a hard core proponent for waiting until meteorological fall begins (September 22 ... precisely at 9:21 a.m.), but this year I've given into the peer pressure and declared it Autumn! (As if my declaring it makes it so . . . feel free to laugh; I am!)

But as last night kicked off the Alabama Crimson Tide season:
(In a big way, I'm happy to add -- ROLL TIDE!) And since all things pumpkin have been assaulting me from every direction . . . 
(Source.)
(Source.)
(Source.)
(Source.)

And since my sister (a Virginian, no less) texted me after my last post and said, "Denise, your blog did not mention pumpkins or Alabama football.  How can that be?  It's September isn't it?" (Although it's not really autumn that she's anxious for ... she's really trying to get us into the Christmas season.)

I decided I'd just embrace it. So after I finished up an ornament (only seven to go to be on target for the month):
I decided to give the last project pictured--a hexi-pumpkin-candle mat--a go! With my own twist, of course. (Of course!)
I need to quilt the hexies and join them together, then add the wool leaves. This project will be my slow stitching today . . . as Ellie colors (I personalized a couple of coloring pages for her . . . 
And we watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas (because she watches it year-round, and she knows I'll let her, and she's evidently her great-aunt's niece), and as we have tea and snacks . . .

And I know I mentioned this in Friday's post, but for posterity's sake, here's my unchanged melody of a stash report.
All those zeroes.  Better here that in the Alabama score!

Linking up for the first time in AGES with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts. Enjoy a loverly sloooooow September Sunday!

:)

18 left a comment . . .:

Jean Etheridge said...

Roll Tide!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Football makes me get into the fall mood too. I live in Colorado and our weather is starting to cool down and we have had several thunderstorms lately which just emphasizes the fall theme. Enjoy working on your fall projects and Roll Tide! (I cannot stand USC as I am a UC girl myself!)

Sarah said...

You've got some great projects on the go. I particularly like the pumpkin themed ones, especially the hexie's + pumpkin! Cute colouring pictures too!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lots of Pumpkin inspiration! I am not quite ready for the fall yet. I love sitting outside, bike riding, gardening and going for long walks. I guess I can still do these activities for a while yet! Nice hexie project!

Marsha Hodgkins said...

I say, "Roll Tide". Since you and I met while I was quilting with my Alabama quilt guild, you know I mean it! I was never interested in college football much before my three winters in Alabama. Love your pumpkin projects; I must dig my hexie pumpkins out and set them about.

Marsha
QuilterinMotion

Marie said...

Hubby was right there with ya cheering for Alabama - he's thrilled for the season to have started again and equally happy for the win. Thanks for all of the pumpkin inspiration.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I was wondering where the pumpkins were too! Not a fan of football, but the cooler temps, colors, smells, and harvests of the season I LOVE.

Lyndsey said...

Well the temperature and look of the day certainly feels like Autumn here in London UK. I've even had to put a cardigan on! I am hopeful that the weather forecast is right and the temperature will be back up again tomorrow. Having said that I'm more than happy to declare Autumn open and start making pumpkin themed goodies. Love you hexie project.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Cute little hexie pumpkin! I love fall too so I try to start it early also.

Barbara said...

I've noticed that about fall too. It's only about 2/3 gone, for goodness sake. I'm hanging onto summer for all its worth, but I do love fall too. I had to forward on your idea about personalizing the coloring pages. Very cute. My friend has a whole pile of grandchildren.

Needled Mom said...

Your fall inspirations are fabulous. I do love the autumn colors best.

Jean(ie) said...

The crazy pumpkin lady returns! Lol!

Kate said...

Love your hexies, very seasonal. The personalized coloring pages are very cute and such fun. Hope you got to enjoy your slow stitching yesterday.

Joy D. said...

So, to me the funny thing about September is that I don't consider it pumpkin season yet. I still consider it Apple season. Which is funny now that I think about it, because the apple orchards close and the kids go back to school at the beginning of August. The pumpkin patches won't open until October, so maybe poor September is really no man's land! Anyway, I'm glad you are back. I missed your adventures while you were away from blog land. I love the Henie project, and I can't wait to see what you do with it. Have a blessed week!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The best time to watch Christmas movies is in the hot months. Makes you feel cooler, looking at all that snow. Of course, we also like to watch beach movies in the middle of winter (makes it feel a bit warmer).

CathieJ said...

Since I return to work tomorrow after having the summer off, it is officially fall for me. Enjoy your fall stitching, Christmas movie and snacks.

Miaismine said...

I love your Christmas ornament and hexie project! I just love slow stitching! As I read your post, I remembered a time when I totally embarrassed my dad. I was just a kid....6 or 7 when a gentleman in a store asked me what I wanted for Christmas. Daddy said I asked him, "Shouldn't we wait for Thanksgiving first?" Oh my! I was an honest toot, wasn't I? :)

Sarah said...

Autumn might be just a week away but it certainly doesn't feel quite like it yet. We hit 93F this past weekend and a couple mornings have been in the 50s or 60s (perfect walking weather) but that is as close as it's gotten to fall in this neck of the woods. It's in the 80s now. Our biggest clue is dark by 8/830pm. Boo! Hiss!

You would be happy to hear the farm stands have pumpkins out but only about 3% of the leaves have changed so far. I read that online - couldn't make it up if I tried.