Sunday, September 18, 2016

taking the plunge . . .

This past year has been a year of taking breaks.  Breaks from my blog, breaks from a lot of Nook time . . . and breaks from the guild.  I took the entire last year off from guild (our guild year runs from September through August), and all of the 'serving' that goes with it!  I tried to take a break from just the serving, but quickly saw that it needed to be an "all or nothing" thing.  

That being said, the first meeting of the 2016-2017 guild year was last Thursday, and there was a national guest speaker.  
Lisa Bongean came to visit us!!  For sure and for certain, I was at the doors promptly at 6:30 with my membership renewal check in hand. It was great to see lots of happy, familiar faces, and some new ones, too. The program was wonderful and I gleaned a few new tips about working with wool that will come in handy. And of course, her trunk show was completely yummy! I took a lot of pics, but I'll just share this one . . .
Because it bears relevance to my *purchases* of the evening:
The book she gifted to each member in attendance -- wasn't that generous??! 
I couldn't help but pick up the Christmas in a Jar ornaments kit -- that's three ornaments right there!! And the pattern is the pumpkin table runner.
No surprise there, right?!  Gracious, she has tons of fun stuff. The little wool Santa pattern was not hers, but actually a freebie I snagged off our "free to a good home" table:
I thought he'd make a fine ornament to add to the growing collection!  Anyway, it was a fun evening and I was glad to be back among quilty friends.

Friday, Todd and I hit the lake.  He fished the day away and I read, stitched, colored, studied, read some more and stitched some more.  LOL!  The color of autumn has just begun to kiss the trees on the shoreline . . .
And the moon coming up as we were coming in was simply glorious!

I got some work done on my Santa (from last week):
The jury is still out on this one.  I've lost the yellow star which I'd already stitched, but I wasn't really pleased with it, so I don't mind doing that one over. There is a lot of stitching on the beard, but it's tough to see in photos . . . 
In a week I may have given up! But for now I'll persevere; if nothing else, it will give me something ready to stitch on this afternoon.

I spent yesterday at my folk's house.  It's SO nice having them close by!! Mom and I baked the cake on the cover of the current Southern Living, while the Alabama vs. Ole Miss game was on.  Or rather, Mom baked while I paced and shouted and jumped up and down. Yes. I'm that fan. Not in a bad or ugly way, just a wholly involved way. 
But the cake turned out *beautifully*!  And she gifted me with half to take home! Wasn't that sweet?! Fall baking with my mom and a Crimson Tide win . . . Saturdays just don't get much better than that!

My stash report remains unchanged from last week . . .
A lot of  zeros up there. And can you believe we're 38 weeks into 2016? Do you know there are only FOURTEEN more Saturdays until Christmas?! And one of those is Christmas Eve!  Hahaha!! And on that note . . . linking up to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Y'all enjoy the day!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh that cake looks so delicious! I enjoyed the harvest moon also but found it difficult to get a good pic. So far I have stayed clear of wool but I love all the pretties in blog land you see made of wool. But there is only so much time, and for now I will keep wool inside my quilts and in the knitting basket.

Meloney said...

Yummy looking cake.
Love your woool applique. I remember I have a couple started that I should pull out. I think they are all Christmas ones.
We can do this!

Charlene S said...

Enjoy your time with your mom. I wish my mom were still alive so we could just talk. There is so much I want to know about her life and don't!

Barbara said...

You might inspire me to return to my guild. I quit during the summer because I hated leaving home on such beautiful evenings. Since it's about to turn rainy and wintery, maybe it'll be good to do the guild again. Who knows? In any case, you've been one busy bee, with a lot of stuff to keep you busy coming up.

Quilter Kathy said...

That cake has my mouth watering! YUM!
Enjoy your stitching today!

Suzanne said...

I understand taking a break. I dropped my state quilt guild membership for the last year and haven't blogged for months. I needed to regroup and find my creative self again. Looks like you have some great projects!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Sounds like a great guild meeting! Nice projects came home with you too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I hold at least 3 positions in my little quilt guild, so, I tell the large guild that I'll help whenever I can, but, I refuse to hold an office. I've finally learned how to say 'no'. Lisa was at our guild about a year ago, but, I don't do wool work.

Kate said...

I was really enjoying your post till that last line. Really, just 14 Saturdays? Looks like you've got lots of fun stuff do do on those remaining 14 weekends. As far as your stash, at least there's been nothing in.

Doniene said...

So very nice to catch up on your happenings! What lovely times for you on the water! And all those goodies from Lisa! Yummy!

Blessings my friend!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Looked like a fabulous meeting - love prim (can't handle wool). Yummy cake and the harvest mood was a delight this year.

Missy Shay said...

Sometimes a break is needed! I took a break from my blog due to lack of time for sewing or blogging! I hope I'm back now though!

Janet O. said...

We all need a break now and then, but I can just imagine the fun you had returning to your guild!
Lisa is so down-to-earth. And she is a great teacher. Glad you had a chance to meet up with her.
You bought a pumpkin runner pattern--really? Whatever for? *LOL*
I am very jealous of your day on the water. Looks so soothing and restorative! And the night shot is gorgeous!
Thought of you while hubby was watching the Alabama/Ole Miss game. Now I will have a better mental image of you when they play, and I will be laughing. : )
Can I just say that the pumpkin cake has me drooling?

Deb said...

The cake you made with your mother looks just delicious. Taking a break every now and then can really be helpful. You have a few nice patterns to keep you stitching of a while.

ozzypip said...

It was interesting to read your catch up. Hope you are able to get stuck into those projects you bought... keep stitching hard its not that long till Christmas (as you reminded us)

I was taken by your comment on watching the football game My girlfriend lived in Jasper Alabama for 10 plus years before returning home to Australia. They supported Alabama in the football and my husband and I both have appropriate t'shirts and I know all about "Roll Tide" lol. (she had a friend whose grandsons were call Roll and Crimson... I kid you not)

Dar said...

What a wonderful post. There were just so many beautiful things you showed and talked about. I love that you can bake with our mother and that cake really does look scrumptious. You picked up lots of pretty patterns for the wool projects too. Thanks for sharing your week. Life on the lake would be heavenly right now. It is still going to be near 90 degrees here - the first week in Autumn! Mother Nature needs to consult her calendar.