Sunday, September 25, 2016

fishing and . . . baking?

It's been a good but hectic week . . . we're gearing up for our 179th Annual Meeting at work (it's two weeks out), and one of my primary responsibilities, as clerk for the Association, is to gather, format, and produce the roughly 70 page "Book of Reports" that is given to every attendee (about 250). I've spent the last week printing what I could, emailing/calling those that needed to get me reports that hadn't done so already, and working on the 2017 (??!) calendar for inclusion. Whew!

My evenings were just as busy this past week, so when Friday came, Todd and I were both ready for a slow morning and then to hit the lake! It's hard to see from the photo, but there is definitely a subtle change in the coloring since last week.
We went to the dam, like we did last Friday. I even got my fishing license renewed, because Todd had done so well. We were not disappointed!  Here's the big ol' 'cat' Todd caught . . . 
His 'whiskers" (the fish's, not Todd's) were so big, I thought about linking up to Feline Friday! We'd planned to be in before dark, but the fishing was soooo good!
That's dinner for *several* nights, and about a dozen of those were my contribution! So we stayed out a little longer than we intended. But the plus side to that is the sunset behind the dam . . .
God's handiwork is so incredible to me!

Saturday  the camp hosted a big family reunion, so we stayed close.  I'd seen a cake (Cinnamon-Sugar Doughnut Bundt Cake) in the fall issue of "Bake from Scratch" magazine that looked yummy, so I decided to give it a go.
Y'all, there are six cups of apple cider in this cake.  But it's boiled for over an hour and reduced to 1-1/2 cups of apple cider syrup. You definitely taste the "apple" in every bite! 
The only problem with cake baking, when you're cooking for two, is that there's a LOT of cake for just two people. Splitting the cake with my mom last week was ideal, but cutting a cake in half leaves you with ... I dunno ... a less pretty finished product, I guess. So I was scouting around on Amazon and look what I found . . . 
Perfect, right??!  Each pan holds 2.5 cups of batter, or generally speaking, one-fourth of a normal sized bundt cake pan. One for my folks, one for Joc's family, one for us and one to gift or freeze! It's now on my birthday wish list. Ha!

My stash report remains unchanged from last week . . .
A sorrowful state of affairs, I admit.

My little wool Santa ornament is also mostly unchanged, though I have managed to get most of him cut out . . .
He's going to end up being a lot of work, but I think he'll be very darling, too. He may have to be for someone VERY special!! LOL! *If* I have time to slow stitch today, this is what I'll focus on. It's supposed to be another very warm day, with highs again in the 90's -- probably the last for a while -- so we'll take advantage and after church, take Ellie and Everley out for a last swim (and their mom and dad too, I suppose!) and grill some dogs and enjoy one last summer fling!

So I'm off . . . linking up today with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Enjoy the day!

:)

16 left a comment . . .:

Kathy S. said...

Happy slow stitching. LOVE the bundt cake pan!!! That's perfect AND they are all so cute. Holy cow, that is good fishing. What fun!

CathieJ said...

I love that Bundt cake pan. Where did you find it. I could use that. I'm looking forward to seeing that Santa ornament.

Sarah said...

That cake looks AMAZING!! And the mini cake pan will be a winner for everyone. I got sucked into reading tatting blogs today. Will my Sunday stitching be hexies or ratting? Hmmmm....

Deb A said...

That apple cider cake looks divine. Enjoy the last hurrah of summer today.

Kate said...

You made quite a haul on the fishing front. Hope you find some time to play with needle and tread today.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Looking forward to your Santa's progress! I am looking forward to doing something like this in the future thanks to your inspiration.

Libby in TN said...

You are living the life! Enjoy it.

Needled Mom said...

What a delightful day on the water - great scenery, autumn colors AND fish!!!! It doesn't get much better than that.

Those are neat looking bundt pans.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You've made me hungry. Now I want some grilled catfish.

maggie fellow said...

someday - i hope to fish - lovely post- thanks

Janet O. said...

My goodness, woman, your life is busy!! Your evening on the lake sounds like a perfect respite. And I hope you have a big freezer!! : )
The cake looks and sounds delicious, but I understand that "what to do with it all?" feeling. I pretty much only make desserts for Sundays when we have 10-12 people for dinner each week. There isn't often leftovers, which is a good thing.
But that sweet little pan looks like an excellent solution. Since the birthday is coming right up, have you shared that list? Should be ordered pronto, unless you are Prime members.
Can't wait to see your finished Santa--looking good to me so far (and yes, looking like a lot of work)!

Lori said...

Love that bundt pan, I will put it on my list too.

Shasta Matova said...

Your bundt cake looks so delicious. I bought two of those mini cake pans on clearance after Christmas one year. They had more than one design, and i couldn't choose. I haven't used them though.

Linda in Calif. said...

What a wonderful idea. I love to bake, don't want to eat the whole thing, yet I don't want to give a "half" cake to someone else. Someday I'll buy those bundt cake pans. (when I find them on sale hehehe) Your Santa is turning out so cute. I've made my share of things like that, and yes they are a lot of work and so WORTH it!

Kalicocreations said...

Your haul looks good, I am ready to eat! Hopefully you got some stitching time between your last summer fling.
Terry

Creations By Cindy said...

Nice cat fish. Nothing like catching fresh fish for sure but I really love to eat them too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy