Sunday, October 16, 2016

a week of whew . . .

Whew, what a week it's been! It kicked off with a *birthday*! I had a great day, and so appreciate all the happy birthday wishes! Joc and Evey came to visit at work (which was kind of a crazy day, getting ready for our Annual Meeting the next day) and were a bright spot!
Notice those smocked pumpkins on her dress??! Her mama has an appropriate appreciation for the finer things in Autumn/life! I also got my Autumn/Pumpkin Vignette fixed up on my desk . . .
LOL!  Did you not think I'd have pumpkins at work, too??!  ;)

That evening, we met up at Bravo's at Bridge Street for dinner.  I love Italiano, and I've really been craving eggplant parmesan.  It was quite tasty!
But this sweet family is what made the evening memorable! (And yes, the girls are wearing matching outfits! But what's funny is that I *just* noticed that Joc and Jason are kind of matchy-matchy, too!)

Tuesday was super crazy as we loaded things up and went off site for our meeting.  Best I can figure, we had about 200+ people there! I'm the association clerk, so I have to sit through all four and a half hours of the the meeting (taking minutes, no less), but when it was over, I knew I didn't have to be back to work until . . . tomorrow!

Still, as quiet as we wanted to be, on Wednesday, Todd and I appeared before the mission board of FBC Huntsville.  They've been, and continue to be, faithful ministry partners. Thursday was a morning full of ministry, but an afternoon of granddaughters!
We had a great time exploring Big Spring Park and downtown Huntsville . . . we even had pizza and gelato on the square, and sat next to a HUGE dog. And we enjoyed live music (or as Evey put it, "find dat muzak!") from several sources; it was very festive!

Friday, Todd and I took a down day and hit the lake. 
It was an absolutely beautiful day, and the autumn color was pretty spectacular, even though it wasn't as bright as it could have been due to the cloud coverage. We had the most sun when it set and the clouds cleared! We also found a pretty little spot we hadn't seen before . . .
Isn't that gorgeous? The sound of the water spilling over the rocks and into the lake was so soothing ... I could have sat there for days! 

I wasn't as prepared for handwork as I should have been, so I settled in with some Patchwork of the Crosses blocks I've had, but haven't pieced.  It was a good day to stitch and read and rejuvenate.
I got the majority of the block done and will take advantage of a slow afternoon today to finish it up.
I will link this up to HeLP on the 17th, over at Sarah Did It! 

I did manage to get my pumpkin stitchery finished . . . 
I thought I loved how this turned out, but looking at the picture, the pumpkin gets a little lost in the leaves a little.  Hmmmm. I used three plies of floss on the pumpkin and the outline of the leaves.  I should have taken it down one or two plies on the leaves so the pumpkin would stand out more.

Saturday was mostly a ministry day, too . . . in the morning, our church volunteered at the elementary school next door, helping with their fall carnival. Back home, we had a D-Now group in at the camp, and I visited with them for a while. It was this group's first time to visit the camp and they really enjoyed their day. I managed to capture a good fall foliage shot at the entrance of the camp . . .
I do love autumn! There's still not as much color as one would think, midway through October. And the brown leaves that frame the drive are as much from drought as anything else.

Saturday evening, we had a ladies' event which was fun. I had planned to make something pumpkin-y to share today, but lost the time.  Instead, I made a pretty terrific (and easy) apple cider punch to put in my pumpkin decanter . . .
It'll do... it was the perfect color and pretty tasty, too!

Not much to say about my stash this week . . . 
And since the picture's worth a thousand words, I'll leave it at that!

And that pretty much wraps up my week! Linking up, as per usual, to Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts.  Enjoy a day of rest!

:)

13 noted . . .:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Pretty swoon block! One of these days I'll learn how to do that.

Kate said...

Wow, sounds like a whirlwind week! Happy Birthday, sounds like you had a very nice one. The leaves are still mainly green here. Not much fall color to look at yet. Your autumn photos are beautiful.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Always good to get a little sewing in, even when life gets busy! Happy Belated Birthday! Lovely fall photos!

Sarah said...

My goodness- busy, busy. So glad you had a good week and still found time to relax. Your pumpkin collection still astounds me!

Dar said...

Happy belated birthday. 39? I was exhausted just reading about your busy week. You sure do get around and get a lot in for the week.

Creations By Cindy said...

Your week sounds sorta like mine was and looks like a repeat this week! Dang...I thought I was to that age of not being so busy any more. LOL! Oh but the grandkids sure help to break of the busyness of life don't they? Have a great week. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Janet O. said...

My goodness, woman, you need time to breath!! It all looks like good stuff, just so much of it crammed into one week!
You really needed that time on the lake, and it looked glorious!!
Have to say, I noticed right off that it appeared that Joc and hubby were dressed alike, but I hadn't seen that the girls were, too.
(Of course, you have pumpkins at work!!)

tubakk said...

Your hexie work is beautiful. I've tried a lot, but never those shapes. Will do it when I've finished my La Passion.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I sure beat you, hands down, on the fabric buying this past week. I discovered Marshall's Dry Goods in Arkansas.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a lovely pumpkin stitchery on that towel... I want to do more of that!

Quilter Kathy said...

I think I lost my comment??
Anyway... love your towel... and the gorgeous fall photographs!

Libby in TN said...

Sorry to be late commenting. I was at a quilt retreat at a Presbyterian church camp in the NC mountains and couldn't stop thinking about the work you do.

Miaismine said...

Your cross block is absolutely lovely! I'm pinning it to my EPP board as well as my Next! board! Thank you so much for such an inspirational and beautiful block! Thank you! Blessings!