Sunday, October 02, 2016

rabbit, rabbit . . .

(At least on the blog. It would have been more effective if I'd posted on the first of October. C'est la vie.)

It's been a long, busy week ... and more of the same is promised over the next two weeks!  But there's been happy, fun things, too. We kicked it off with one last "in the water" boat ride with Joc and her family.  The little girls so enjoy it, which makes my heart very happy!
The only trouble with boating on a Sunday afternoon/evening is that it makes for a long night (I know, cry me a river, right?) on a work night. But it's worth it!

The week was filled with long days of prepping for our annual meeting.  One more week of that and then the actual meeting itself the following week.  And then an extended long weekend! 

Friday finally came and the weather cooled off significantly, so I made some Buttery Pumpkin Pie Fudge to kick off my favorite month of all things pumpkin. It's a Paula Deen recipe and it's very tasty, made enough to share with some of my favorite people, and made a pretty decent breakfast appetizer . . .
With a cup of pumpkin spice tea, of course. (Of course!)

Friday afternoon, I met my parents and we hightailed it off to Taft, Tennessee, home to Lyon Family Farms and a fun pumpkin patch.  There we met Joc, Ellie and Evey and headed in for a fabulous afternoon!
What fun to walk around the farm with four generations of family! It really is a treat having my folks here. We had such a blast . . . and we all came home with pumpkins, from the "you pick 'em" hayride. No shock there, right??

Speaking of family, Joc sent me this pic earlier in the week.  You've heard of bats in the belfry, right? 
What about cats in the [dollhouse] garret? Ha! Last week I joked about linking up Todd's catfish to Feline Friday. No joke today!

Saturday afforded me some time in the Nook.  I played around with these hexies for a bit . . .
I have thoughts about them but I haven't settled on anything concrete. I also started and finished this darling little stacked wool Christmas tree.  
It's prettier than the photo shows. It was a kit from Primitive Gatherings, but it came sans pattern. Have I ever mentioned I get by with a little help from my friends?  In this case, it was friend Janet who came to my rescue -- she lent me a copy of the book that has the pattern (and sent some sweet gifties as well), so I could finish it up. One of the gifties was a couple of darling pumpkin prints . . .
I definitely need to use these in an upcoming fall project!!

I also have made good progress on the wool Santa . . .
I'm very pleased with him. I just need to re-cut the stars, blanket stitch them, and attach to the hat. That will be my slow stitching for today and two ornaments finished this weekend. Whoohoo! I was rather tickled with myself to discover I already have a very similar Santa ornament in tin:
I guess I have a thing for crescent moon Santas??

So my stash took a bit of a turn, thanks to pumpkin goodness, this week:
But as I said, I already have a project in mind for it, so it should be right back out in the next couple of weeks!

Linking up the stash report to Patchwork Times, and the slooooow Sunday stitching to Kathy's Quilts. And that's it for me today -- y'all enjoy a sweet Sunday!

:)

21 noted . . .:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love the Christmas tree and Santa ornaments. I saw some trees like that in a gift shop but they were made with all different colours of wool squares. Sounds like a busy time at your house. Enjoy every moment!

Charlene S said...

You are still in the black so keep going. I just adore that pumpkin fabric!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The girls are getting so big - family time at the pumpkin patch sounds like fun. I took note of the prim pumpking matt in the one photo - LOVE! Very sweet prints and look forward to seeing what you come up with them.

Deb A said...

What great projects! Such pretty pumpkin prints.... enjoy playing with them.

Deb said...

Those pumpkin fabrics are so pretty, the wool pumpkin mats are very nice and go nicely with the pumpkin spice tea. The crescent santa ornament is coming along and how serendipitous to have the tin santa too.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Looks like lots of great fun with your family and that cat photo just cracked me up! :)

Quilter Kathy said...

My goodness your family is full of gorgeous women of all ages!
Love the pumpkin fabrics you have to play with... enjoy your stitching today!

Barbara said...

I first heard about "rabbit, rabbit" from an employer at a job I worked in college when I was 18. In all that time, I think I've remembered to say it twice. One time, it was because I woke up just after midnight and noticed the time, so I said it then. And then one other time...hahahahaha. Mine like a steel trap.

Ariane said...

I love your pumpkin wool mats in the photo you shared with the fudge. I printed the recipe to try it out. Your ornaments are super cute!! Love them so much!!

Kate said...

Fun family stuff, sounds like you've been really busy. Love your crescent Santa. Hope you get some time for slow stitching today. Though it's hard to stay in when the weather has been so beautiful.

Janet O. said...

Busy, busy, busy lady--but so much fun here! Evening on the lake, four generations of family at the pumpkin patch (can't tell you ladies are related at all), funny cat in the doll house rafters, a very successful Santa ornament (love it), and all things pumpkin!!
It all makes me smile. : )

Needled Mom said...

The girls are so cute. Love your Santa and little tree. It's that time of the year, isn't it?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh our fall wool mats are wonderful! Mr Santa turned out so cute!

Jennifer said...

Looks like you've had a busy week - great ornaments and pumpkin fabric!

Creations By Cindy said...

Awe, the girls are beauties. They will surely melt a heart! Love the Santa! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Mary said...

Good thing I follow you on FB and IG. Your mother looks much too young to be your mother. Such beautiful smiles all around. Lucky you, I miss my mother every day! No 4 Generation fun for me, we're missing a link. I eat Pumpkin pie for Breakfast but never tried Pumpkin pie FUDGE! Have to check that out. Love the cute Santa and Tree. I need to get busy on my Grandchildren ornaments, I might need to borrow that book...

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Hello Denise! Such sweet grand girls you have, and what a precious time out on the lake with them... oh my, all your projects are darling! Looks like you have a head start on Christmas! Hugs to you today, and thank you for stopping by to say hello, I always love meeting new friends :)

Sarah said...

Zorro and Blue are thrilled to have Leia join in on Feline Friday!!!!!
Woohoo - fudge for breakfast - I'm down with that!
All kinds of pretty ornaments - are you caught up for the year?

Ranch Wife said...

My goodness, but you do pack a lot into a week my dear and your cup runneth over with blessings. I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying time with your folks now that they are closer. I know that you all treasure your time together. And aren't those grand babies getting big?!
It's nice to find a bit of time for some slow stitching at the end of the day...if you can keep your eyes open. :) You're adding such fun texture with your stitches to your fun Santa.

allthingzsewn said...

Loved the wool mats and the quilt they were on. How much for a piece of that pumpkin fudge. *-) Never had it but would love to. The miniature bundt pans are beautiful and would make beautiful Christmas cake gifts. Keep me in mind for those too. Now on a serious would you consider sharing that doughnut bundt cake recipe? I'm trying to find different think to take to Breakfast snack for Sunday School. That would be different.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Hi Denise! I would like to email you if I could {smiles} but I can't find a place to do so on your blog. If you could respond to this comment via email, I'll respond back :) Hugs to you today dear friend!