Sunday, October 09, 2016

pumpkins times three . . .

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this month, this season, and pumpkins?

I've done some pumpkiny things this past week. (Of course!) On Wednesday, my bloggy/quiltie/hexie/foodie/purple-loving/cat whisperer/tea party enjoying friend Sarah sent me a link to the Dessert for Two blog and a recipe for Pumpkin Cakes.  Y'all. I was not at home when she sent me the link, but as soon as I got home that night, I made mini pumpkin cakes. 
Todd thought I was a little crazy at first and then he tasted . . . they were GOOD! I mean they were really good.  Lick the dish, don't leave a crumb, scraping the sides of the bowl, wishing they weren't so mini, good. Luckily, they use leftover pumpkin, which I had from last week's Buttery Pumpkin Pie Fudge, and I still DO have some.  I may make mini pumpkin cakes for Todd and me for my birthday (which is tomorrow -- let me just get that out there)!

I also had a leftover banana that *really* needed to be used or tossed. I thought why not use mashed banana in place of the pumpkin, and use nutmeg in place of the pumpkin pie spice? So I did . . .
And those were very yummy cakes, too!

In stitchy news, I did finish my Santa . . .
I do love the way he turned out! Sometimes, when I'm working off-the-cuff, I envision a final product and it doesn't quite happen. With Mr. Crescent Santa, it happened!

I've also been working on something pumpkin. Don't laugh!
Just a little pumpkin stitchery on a kitchen towel. My hope is to finish it up this afternoon. When I'm stitching on pieces like this, where the back will be exposed, I work hard to keep the back clean . . .
I did a pretty decent job of it on this one. When I started to stitch the French knots, I was hiding my floss strand in previous stitches, and it wasn't until *after* I make the knot and rehidden my floss that I realized I was stitching on the WRONG (aka, the right) side.  
Ugh. Silly me! I'm not sure if it speaks to what a great job I'm doing on the back, or the quality of my stitching on the front! {grin} Luckily I was able to pull the "stitches in error" without compromising the existing stitches.

Todd and I were doing some WalMart shopping and I spotted this . . .
Which obviously came home with me.  LOL!  I couldn't resist! Happy birthday to me!!

On my stash report . . . well, there's nothing to report.
Is that like "no news is good news"?  Eh, probably not. Wow -- Week 41 . . . you know what that means, right? Christmas Day will be Week 52 . . . I won't do the math. ;)

That's it for me.  I'm linking up with Patchwork Times and Kathy's Quilts this morning. Enjoy this beautiful day to the fullest! And remember . . . weather is not the only factor in what makes your day beautiful!

:)

16 noted . . .:

Lyndsey said...

Yum those pumpkin cakes look delicious. You stitchery is cute and I love that you stitched on the wrong side. It definitely shows how super neat your work is that the back looks as good as the front.

Deb A said...

Those look yummy. I have banana that needs using. Might try it with that first. Love your pumpkin stitching.

Sarah said...

Everytime I read that second paragraph, I have a great chuckle !! We do inspire each other into a lot of "trouble " don't we??!! 😘 I think you forgot to mention how we BOTH ran out and bought PW ramekins to make more cake! LOL!!!
And is this the first b-day mention? What happened to birthmonth celebrations??!! Happy day before your birthday!!!

Barbara said...

I love that Dessert for Two blog. I bought her book too. Today I'm making an apple pie for two, but I think I made that up myself, using her crust. I saw the pumpkin cakes too. Might have to try them now.

Faye said...

Love the santa, he's gorgeous! The pumpkin cakes look delicious

CathieJ said...

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the link to those cakes and the info on your banana version. I have the pumpkin so I will have to try these soon. Santa is beautiful. I always like a crescent Santa. Looking at your fall accents prompted me to find my table runners and box of decorations. So pretty.

Deb said...

It looks like you are enjoying the pumpkin season. The Crescent Santa turned our beautiful and the pumpkin stitching on the dish towel is sweet. Enjoy those cakes and Happy Birthday to you.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Happy Birthday - all your pumpking goodness is a delight for the season.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday! Both cakes sound yummy.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I was tempted by the beverage pumpkin too but I looked the other way as I was in a hurry. I love your embroidered pumpkin on the stripe toweling. I hesitate to the the towels cause the back of my work is scary. Thinking maybe some seasonal pillows made from toweling. But than I need to find the time.

Janet O. said...

Oh, those little pumpkin cakes look good. Wonder if they work with GF flours?
Your Santa ornament turned out so cute!! I know you weren't so sure he was going to look as good as you had imagined. I am glad you were wrong (but then that means you were right the first time, right?).
How would it be to have the back of your stitching look so good you mistake it for the front? Can honestly say that never happens here!!
A beverage pumpkin! How fun is that?
Hope you have a delightful birthday, my friend!

Creations By Cindy said...

YUM, the pumpkin treats look so yummy and I adore the pumpkin beverage container. Awe. the embroidered pumpkin is so cute! Oh I hope that you have a wonderful day today for your special day....BIRTHDAY! Today is my man's birthday too! Great people born in October! Enjoy your day. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Dar said...

Your Santa turned out great. Thanks so much for the link to the Desserts for TWo. I had to print off that pumpkin cake recipe to try tomorrow too. I signed up for her newsletter so we can try her other "for two" recipes. Thanks so much.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Happy Birthday to you! Sorry I am a day late to the party! Your pumpkin cakes look absolutely divine! I will be checking out the link, and I may have to double it for four, but seeing how the bowl was licked clean, (LOL) I will definitely have to give it a whirl! I love your pumpkin stitchery on the kitchen towel. It has been so long since I stitched, maybe you will inspire me to take it up again! So happy to visit with you today... hugs and love of happy birthday wishes for you :)

Cheryl said...

Hello! So happy to meet you! I am clicking over from "Mountain Top Spice's" blog...so happy to be introduced to your lovely blog! The pumpkin treats look SO yummy! Fall is a wonderful season. God is so good! May He bless you abundantly!

Mary said...

Looks so Yummy! I think a cake for two is just what I need. Pies and cakes go stale with just two of us to eat it. Glad you had a Happy Birthday! Today is Blog Catch-up day.